Wiki Posts
Search

Solo weekend in Dublin

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8, 2017, 12:42 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Gold, IHG Plat
Solo weekend in Dublin

I've been to Dublin for work and leisure a few times, always with colleagues or with family. I'll have a weekend alone in Dublin in May, so I'm hoping to find activities and/or restaurants that are good for a single traveler.

I've already seen a number of the city's major sites (Guinness Storehouse, Old Jameson Distillery, National Museum of Ireland, Phoenix Park, Writers' Museum, Christ Church Cathedral and Dublinia). Outside of Dublin, I've been to the West Coast, Aran Isles and Ring of Kerry. Since I'll be arriving on Saturday morning and need to be at work in Dublin on Monday morning, I don't want to venture too far afield.

Currently, I'm considering a visit to Malahide Castle and/or a day trip to the Boyne Valley, so thoughts on those - as well as other suggestions - would be much appreciated.

TIA!
Old Apr 8, 2017, 1:58 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, AA, BA Silver, Marriott Plat, Choice Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Diamond
I'm heading to Dublin Thursday, my eighth visit, and have never had any problems there as a solo traveler. Malahide is a good place to visit, reachable by the DART train in about 30 minutes. In addition to the Castle, you could consider a walk down the coast from Malahide to Portmarnock--it's about a five-mile RT. I've had several good meals at McGovern's in the town center (http://mcgovernsmalahide.com/).

Saturday night in Dublin, consider the Winding Stair restaurant. I've found the place hospitable to single diners (http://winding-stair.com/). You'll need reservations. The bookshop is also excellent.

As an alternative to the Winding Stair or as a standalone afternoon activity, I'd consider wandering around the Grand Canal area of Dublin. A number of restaurants are located there, many bordering the water. In addition, the Bord Gais Energy Theatre might be fun if you're interested in that kind of thing. Even if you don't attend a show, the exterior of the building, illuminated at night, is quite a sight. In May, they are hosting The Cranberries, Jeff Dunham, John Cleese, and the Beach Boys plus two concerts by the RTE Concert Orchestra that are apparently focused on movie scores (http://bordgaisenergytheatre.ie/whats-on). Even a quiet take away lunch enjoyed at St. Stephen's Green on a pleasant spring day would help pass a couple of hours.
Old Apr 10, 2017, 6:33 pm
Original Poster

Thanks, lwildernorva. I wanted to try the Winding Stair last year and didn't get a chance, so hopefully this time! Hope you have a great trip, and if you discover any new gems, I'd love to hear about them!
Old Apr 11, 2017, 12:58 am

Programs: BA Silver
Kilmainham Gaol and the tour of Glasnevin cemetery are both good if you have even a passing interest in Ireland's 20th century history.
Old Apr 11, 2017, 6:02 am
Original Poster

Thanks, Scots_AI. I wondered if Kilmainham Gaol might be too heavy for a solo visit, but I'll look into it. Glasnevin Cemetary sounds really interesting - I loved Pere Lachaise in Paris and La Recoleta in Buenos Aires, so that sounds like a low-key option to get over jet-lag. ;-)
Old Apr 13, 2017, 12:28 pm

Programs: AA, BA, AF, Marriott, Radisson, Priority Club (Gold), HHonors
Two other places to have a look at are The National Gallery on Merrion Square, https://www.littlemuseum.ie/ (with a gorgeous cafe), train along the south coast to Greystones and if the weather is good, walk back along the Cliff Walk to Bray before getting the DART back into the city centre
Old Apr 14, 2017, 5:32 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, HHonors
Originally Posted by NYCFlyGirl
Thanks, Scots_AI. I wondered if Kilmainham Gaol might be too heavy for a solo visit, but I'll look into it.
It is quite good and relatively quick. Book well ahead though!
Old Apr 15, 2017, 11:31 am
Original Poster

Thanks, Babaduck and earlyriser. I appreciate all the feedback!
Old Apr 15, 2017, 4:11 pm

Programs: AA, UA lowly commoner
One more suggestion. If you're interested in books, manuscripts, and prints, I recommend the Chester Beatty Library. It's free, so no-risk! Closed Sunday mornings.
http://www.cbl.ie/index.aspx
Old Apr 19, 2017, 11:08 am

Programs: IHG Spire, National Exec, AA Plat
Malahide is cool, as is the opposite southern outskirts down near Dalkey.

An easy trip just outside of Dublin via train but still close enough is Tullamore. Smaller town, smaller area, but I really enjoyed it there.
Old Apr 26, 2017, 4:22 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, AA, BA Silver, Marriott Plat, Choice Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Diamond
Just returned from my latest trip to Ireland, and I have had a bit more of an opportunity to explore Malahide. If you've done Dublin and are looking for a more relaxed good time for an evening or two, especially if your travels include a rental car and you want proximity to the airport, I would highly recommend Malahide as a base.

I returned to McGovern's and again very much enjoyed my meal, but I learned too late (literally--just about 8 p.m. on a Sunday night when some of the restaurants had closed their kitchens for the evening) that there are a number of very good restaurants in Malahide that I'll need to check on my next trip there.

Bon Appetit is one. I was able to walk in, see some of the interior, and review the menu. Tapas dominated menu, a very chic interior in an old townhouse, and the restaurant, which once earned a Michelin star, is an interesting story in itself: https://lovindublin.com/opinion/oliv...okay-with-that.

I also learned that Jaipur, almost next door to Bon Appetit, is highly regarded as is Sale e Pepe, across the street from McGovern's. And I very much enjoyed an hour in Gibney's, a multi-part venue that includes a pub, a spirits store, and an outdoor area. For the most part, the pub was a good experience with one jarring note: a woman who ordered a Coors Lite on ice--now that's somebody who really doesn't like beer.

I had a wonderful breakfast the following morning at The Greenery, which is across the street from the water. If you want a traditional Irish breakfast, it's on the menu, but there were a number of other options. I chose the French toast which was made from ciabatta, cut into three planks that were placed to form the shape of the letter "H" with two strips of very well-prepared bacon. The Greenery is also open for lunch and dinner with what appeared to be a very casual approach.

There aren't many lodging options unfortunately, but prices are generally lower than in Dublin. On this trip, I stayed at the Island View Hotel, a place with seven rooms but a pub, two bars, and a restaurant. Since I was there on a Sunday night, the noise was not overwhelming, but I wouldn't be so certain on Friday and Saturday. The rooms were basic, no more. Two years ago, I stayed on a Saturday night at the White Sands which houses an obnoxiously loud disco but maybe on a Sunday night it would have been better. The Grand Hotel looks nice, and maybe that's where I'll stay on the next trip. The Portmarnock Hotel, a couple of miles further away along the beach road which is very walkable, might also be an option.

Given the DART service into Dublin and the proximity to the airport, I think that if I intend to take a rental car, I'll probably base the first day or two or the last day or two of my future trips in Malahide and go into Dublin during the day to see the sights. If you're not a Temple Bar person, especially as a solo traveler, I think Malahide's nightlife is more appealing and manageable; of course, the corollary is that if you are a Temple Bar person, you're unlikely to enjoy Malahide as much.
Old Apr 27, 2017, 9:18 pm
Original Poster

Thanks again, everyone! I've put the Chester Beatty Library on my list, and if the weather is nice I may make a trip to Malahide. Gibney's sounds wonderful, as do the dining options.
Old Apr 28, 2017, 9:22 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by lwildernorva
For the most part, the pub was a good experience with one jarring note: a woman who ordered a Coors Lite on ice--now that's somebody who really doesn't like beer.
Yikes! These are two things that shouldn't ever be done in Ireland, or anywhere else in the world for that matter!
Old Jul 1, 2017, 6:35 am
Original Poster

I thought I should come back and post an update about what I actually did. The weather didn't cooperate for a visit to Malahide, so I stayed near cover.

I took a tour of Trinity College and revisited the Books of Kells (having first seen in 25 years ago) - the background exhibition is very nice, especially if you're an illuminated manuscript nerd (like me ). I also enjoyed the Chester Beatty Library, though sadly the roof deck was closed. I also took a walking tour of central Dublin, which took me past many sights I'd seen on past trips, but gave me a bit better sense of history, especially about the importance of the 1916 Rising. Finally, I enjoyed the Glasnevin Cemetery and the botanical garden next door, where I happened upon a free tour and made new Irish friends! The Winding Stair was a great recommendation, and I also tried (and enjoyed) The Sussex.

Thanks again, everyone, for the great recommendations that made my solo trip so much more fun!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.