Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Need help choosing hotel location near Birmingham

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16, 2017, 8:13 am
Original Poster

Need help choosing hotel location near Birmingham

I appeal to the collective wisdom here to help me pick the right area to stay near Birmingham for 3 nights. First day we will arrive late afternoon (probably via car) from MAN. Next few days we want to see Warwick Castle, CadburyWorld and Coventry outside Birmingham and the Jewelry Quarter and gardens within the city.

I'm looking for a *** or **** property, ideally with a pool and free parking, which I suspect means the suburbs, not city center. Expedia offers me no shortage of choices, but in terms of which area is most convenient for our to-do list, I would appreciate the guidance of FT.
Old Mar 16, 2017, 9:11 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
That whole corridor out from Solihull to Leamington Spa is a decent area, which would seem to suit your needs (including direct trains to Moor Street and the Jewellery Quarter if you want to avoid the city traffic).
Old Mar 16, 2017, 10:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, BA Silver, Accor Silver
I have stayed at the Marriott Forest of Arden a few times before. Nice setting, free parking and has a pool. Downside would be it's almost an hour round to Cadbury World from there.

Have you thought about swapping Coventry for Stratford upon Avon? You also need to allow a good few hours at Warwick Castle if you want to do it justice. They have a strong programme of events/demonstrations, especially in the peak summer months.
Old Mar 16, 2017, 12:30 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Swiss Tony
I have stayed at the Marriott Forest of Arden a few times before. Nice setting, free parking and has a pool. Downside would be it's almost an hour round to Cadbury World from there.
Is it an hour because of traffic, distance or tiny country roads?

Originally Posted by Swiss Tony
Have you thought about swapping Coventry for Stratford upon Avon? You also need to allow a good few hours at Warwick Castle if you want to do it justice.
The trip is a graduation gift for the offspring. He is a history buff who's been studying WWI and WWII since he learned to read. However he regards anything by Shakespeare as a form of torture, so Coventry is in, Stratford is definitely out. Warwick Castle gets a full day in the schedule.
Old Mar 16, 2017, 1:12 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL, HHonors Diamond, IHG Uninspired, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, UK AMEX Plat
I'd have a look at the hotels by the NEC / Birmingham Airport. If there's no big event on, they can be decent value. It's a short frequent train ride into the city centre, and right by the motorway for visiting Warwick / Stratford / etc.
Old Mar 16, 2017, 1:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, BA Silver, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by CDTraveler
There's a fair bit of motorway/dual carriageway, but you need to loop right around Birmingham & come back in from the opposite side. once you leave the motorway to get to CadburyWorld, it is quite a slow drive. I think 45mins is fastest you'll do it, but do loop round the South rather than the North - it's longer but the roads are faster.

The trip is a graduation gift for the offspring. He is a history buff who's been studying WWI and WWII since he learned to read. However he regards anything by Shakespeare as a form of torture, so Coventry is in, Stratford is definitely out. Warwick Castle gets a full day in the schedule.
Kenilworth castle is worth a visit and very much in the area, too.

I'm not a WWII buff, but assuming you're heading further south from Birmingham, you might want to check out Bletchley Park. They have rebuilt various code breaking bits of kit that helped finish off WWII in Europe. There's the Enigma, but also this in a neighbouring museum http://www.tnmoc.org/explore/tunny-gallery. They do a good talk about it & the role it played.

Oh and if you are going to stay at the Marriott, do pay the extra to use the M6 toll North of Birmingham. It's bliss compared to the rest of the M6.
Old Mar 17, 2017, 6:50 am
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Location: UK - the nearest airport is named after a motorway !
Originally Posted by CDTraveler

Graduating which school? We went to Cadbury World three months ago for my son's birthday, and he and his younger brother enjoyed it but weren't wowed, and they're 9 and 7 - if your son is graduating from more than junior school, he may be unimpressed....
Old Mar 17, 2017, 12:12 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Stewie Mac
Graduating which school? We went to Cadbury World three months ago for my son's birthday, and he and his younger brother enjoyed it but weren't wowed, and they're 9 and 7 - if your son is graduating from more than junior school, he may be unimpressed....
Graduating secondary school - 17.

Warwick Castle, Coventry, Churchill's War Rooms, Imperial War Museum - for him.

Cadbury Chocolate World - for me!

Any thoughts on Chesford Grange Hotel? It's looking like more of what we want to see is near it, not actually in/near Birmingham.
Old May 11, 2017, 6:19 pm

Cabbaging in, forgive me. But how is Forest of Arden for an overnight stay before flying out of Birmingham at 9 AM? What would the drive to the airport be like? It is a Marriot category 5 so a great use of the 1-5 certificate but I don't want to add stress if the traffic is always bad or the route confusing.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.