Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > U.K. and Ireland
Reload this Page >

Booking UK hotel via Expedia - VAT included?

Old Mar 16, 2017, 6:37 am
Original Poster

If you book a hotel in the UK using the US Expedia site, would you expect the rate shown to include VAT?

I've been looking at a certain hotel in the Hand Picked Hotel group. I found it via Expedia, then looked at the hotel website where I found their Best Rate Promise which says the hotel's own website is guaranteed to have the lowest rates. The hotel site shows a considerably higher rate ($40/night) than Expedia, so I emailed to ask about the rate guarantee. Their response is that the guarantee doesn't apply because Expedia doesn't include VAT in their quotes, which is the opposite of my previous experience booking via Expedia.

On Expedia: If you click on "Reserve" the next screen does show a total rate including "taxes and fees" which slightly higher than the first screen, but the difference is $8/night on a rate of $132/night, which is well under what the VAT would be.

I was also under the impression that for the UK displayed/advertised prices were required include VAT - is that correct?

So would you expect the rate shown on Expedia to include VAT?
Old Mar 16, 2017, 6:44 am

Programs: British Airways Gold
On a site aimed at UK customers yes, but not on sites aimed at non-UK customers

A quite dummy search on the US Expedia site showed rates excluding tax
Old Mar 16, 2017, 6:45 am

The final amount you see on Expedia (ie total including taxes) will include VAT. As you note that final amount may be higher than the price initially shown on the search page.

You won't get stung for VAT at the hotel which isn't shown on the final Expedia price.
Old Mar 16, 2017, 7:06 am
Original Poster

My experience with booking a hotel in Canada via the US Expedia site is that all taxes were included on the second screen, which is why the claim that Expedia rates don't include VAT for the UK surprised me.

After further correspondence with the UK hotel, I am forced to conclude they are somewhat sleazy and their rate promise is rubbish. After I challenged their statement that Expedia rates don't include VAT they came back with the $40/night difference on a $132/night (Expedia) is due to differences in the exchange rate.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.