Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > U.K. and Ireland
Reload this Page >

The Tube from T3 LHR to Ealing Common

Old Mar 8, 2017, 5:45 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Does changing trains at Acton Town on a weekday morning, whether on to another Piccadilly train or a District train, involve stairwells to other platforms? I want to know what to expect in advance. Thanks.
Old Mar 8, 2017, 5:59 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
It will involve going up and back down again, but there are lifts/elevators. You're basically swapping directions (back to the one you came from). Make sure you take a Rayners Lane or Uxbridge Piccadilly Line train (or a District Line)!

Last edited by stut; Mar 8, 2017 at 6:04 am
Old Mar 8, 2017, 6:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
An alternative that might work for you, for only a few quid more than the tube, would be the Heathrow Connect stopping service direct to Ealing Broadway. Departs from the same platform as Heathrow Express but makes about four en route stops between LHR and Paddington and costs a fraction of HEx.

https://www.heathrowconnect.com/stat...aling-broadway

Heathrow Connect >> Ealing Broadway >> Central Line is also a good way to get to White City, Shepherds Bush, etc. without having to go to Paddington first.
Old Mar 8, 2017, 8:33 am
Original Poster

I considered the Heathrow Connect but it would include about a 15 minute walk to my hotel in an area with which I am not familiar. I don't want to get lost with luggage! It also runs every 30 minutes so unless I catch it right, it could take even longer to get to my hotel. If there are lifts at Acton Town, that's good to know.
Old Mar 8, 2017, 8:42 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
FWIW, the excellent TFL Step free tube guide details the facilities at every tube station, even including any particularly difficult train/platform gaps.
Old Mar 8, 2017, 8:51 am
Original Poster

Thanks!
Old Mar 9, 2017, 3:23 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
The lifts at Acton Town are at the "Heathrow end" of the station, i.e. the back of the train leaving Heathrow for central London. When you get off the train, look for a narrow walkway to the right of the main stairs.

The escalators at the entrance to Heathrow 123 Tube will deposit you at the correct part of the train, but if you need to take the lift down to the platform then you will have to walk to the other end of the platform.

The lifts at Acton Town have been out of service once out of the ~50 times I have used them. If you are unfortunate enough for this to happen to you, proceed to Earls Court (Piccadilly) and walk across the platform to take the train back.
Old Mar 9, 2017, 3:58 am

Originally Posted by :D!
[...]
The lifts at Acton Town have been out of service once out of the ~50 times I have used them. If you are unfortunate enough for this to happen to you, proceed to Earls Court (Piccadilly) and walk across the platform to take the train back.
Or just prevail upon your fellow travellers to do a bit of portering!
Old Mar 9, 2017, 8:14 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
Oh, you should also be aware that there's a number of steps from the platform up to the exit at Ealing Common station too!
Old Mar 10, 2017, 4:53 am
Original Poster

The lifts at Acton Town are at the "Heathrow end" of the station, i.e. the back of the train leaving Heathrow for central London. When you get off the train, look for a narrow walkway to the right of the main stairs.
That's a great piece of information, thank you. I will sit at the back of the train.

The escalators at the entrance to Heathrow 123 Tube will deposit you at the correct part of the train, but if you need to take the lift down to the platform then you will have to walk to the other end of the platform.
Thank you.

That's good to know. Given the odds, should I just take the Piccadilly line to Earl's Court because the transfer is just across the platform? How much time would that add? If I do that, would I still sit at the back of the train?

Originally Posted by Mizter T
Or just prevail upon your fellow travellers to do a bit of portering!
If anyone offers, that would be wonderful but I never would ask.
Old Mar 10, 2017, 8:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
deleted
Old Mar 11, 2017, 7:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
That would however add most of half an hour to the journey.
Originally Posted by stut
Oh, you should also be aware that there's a number of steps from the platform up to the exit at Ealing Common station too!
And a fairly large step from the train to the platform.
Old Mar 13, 2017, 4:56 pm
Original Poster

Maybe I should just take the Heathrow Connect to Ealing Broadway and take a bus toward Ealing Common.
Old Mar 14, 2017, 12:46 am

Originally Posted by Analise
Maybe I should just take the Heathrow Connect to Ealing Broadway and take a bus toward Ealing Common.
Buses are a pain. Just change at Acton Town.

Not sure if you misread : D! above but his/her experience was that the lifts were working 49/50 times, i.e. 98% success rate.
Old Mar 14, 2017, 7:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by Analise
That's what I would do -- fast train ride. Plus, the bus is easy, frequency is high, and it's not that long a ride.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.