MAN - more e-gates shenanigans

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 25, 2017, 12:28 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Exec Club, LH Miles & More, AF/KLM Flying Blue, Le Club Accorhotels, Tesco Clubcard

Arrived last night at MAN T1 from GVA on EZY approximately 22.30. Tired after a full-on one night work trip, just wanted to get home.

Arrived at Immigration Hall which was initially empty, yet:

1) Entrance to the new metal queuing system was closed off, meaning pax had no alternative but to queue back into pier.

and - the main subject of this post:

2) All EU pax were forced through E-Gates by a member of MAN staff. Only pax with either ID cards or children under 12 were allowed access to the EU Border Force staffed area. At the desks at the end I counted at least 3 unoccupied Border Force officers. I asked to be allowed to go through that way and was refused by the member of MAN staff. When challenged I was told this was Border Force policy and that all pax with biometric passports must obligatorily use E-Gates. Ironically, e-gates rejected me and I had to queue for a manned desk. Asked the officer who processed me about this and he advised this was not a Border Force policy - but a MAN one - and that (to quote his words) - "they are trying to get rid of us".

I have had this issue before at MAN both at T1 and T3 - as you can see in my posting history. On each occasion I have clarified with the Border Force officer and they have confirmed consistently that it is a MAN policy and that I am perfectly entitled to use a manned desk if I wish.

Thinking of writing to Border Force for a written response and MAN too. Have any other FTers had such an issue?
Old Feb 25, 2017, 4:02 pm

Programs: None anymore
I have had this issue many times at MAN.

The chip in my biometric passport is broken. The warranty on the chip itself is something like one or two years, but the passport validity is 10 years. Hmm... what genius made that agreement?

The good news is that the passport is perfectly valid without a working biometric chip and I have travelled extensively and all over the world without so much as a raised eyebrow from Immigration officers or visa-issuing Embassies or Consulates.

If I want a working biometric chip, the only option is to pay for a new passport. I haven't bothered to do so because it hasn't proved to be a problem, apart from occasional ostentatiously theatrical performances from UK Border Force officers whilst they inspect my passport - and worthy of note, it has caused absolutely zero problems at any airport outside the UK.

However, at MAN things are always taken a step further. As the OP notes, there is always a member of MAN staff funnelling everyone into the e-gates and physically blocking the route to the manned desks, either with their person or by closing the Tensabarrier. This therefore requires interaction before one can approach a manned desk.

I have exchanged views with several very officious members of MAG staff regarding my need and right to use a manned desk (practical reality: no working chip = no use of e-gate) including one who insisted that my passport was invalid and I must obtain a new one prior to my next trip or I would be breaking the law. Hah!

Now I have an ID card from another EU country, so I use that at MAN instead of my passport. Up yours MAG!

They can't get rid of the manned desks, or even limit their use to non-EU citizens - at least for now - because an EU or EEA citizen can use a national ID card to exercise their right to free movement within the EU and the e-gates don't work with ID cards.
Old Feb 25, 2017, 4:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SteelCityBoy
..Asked the officer who processed me about this and he advised this was not a Border Force policy - but a MAN one - and that (to quote his words) - "they are trying to get rid of us".

I have had this issue before at MAN both at T1 and T3 - as you can see in my posting history. On each occasion I have clarified with the Border Force officer and they have confirmed consistently that it is a MAN policy and that I am perfectly entitled to use a manned desk if I wish.
So MAN airport (mis)management will be collecting data that will show that the manned immigration desks have little use. [They will get the answer they want]
Conclusion:- Some, but not all, immigration people are needed. MAN airport do not need to pay for immigration people that are not needed.

From Wikipedia link
The airport is owned and managed by the Manchester Airports Group (MAG), a holding company owned by the Australian finance house IFM Investors and the ten metropolitan borough councils of Greater Manchester, with Manchester City Council owning the largest stake.
And
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manchester_Airports_Group
https://www.ifminvestors.com/
Old Feb 25, 2017, 6:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

2) All EU pax were forced through E-Gates by a member of MAN staff. Only pax with either ID cards or children under 12 were allowed access to the EU Border Force staffed area. At the desks at the end I counted at least 3 unoccupied Border Force officers. I asked to be allowed to go through that way and was refused by the member of MAN staff. When challenged I was told this was Border Force policy and that all pax with biometric passports must obligatorily use E-Gates. Ironically, e-gates rejected me and I had to queue for a manned desk. Asked the officer who processed me about this and he advised this was not a Border Force policy - but a MAN one - and that (to quote his words) - "they are trying to get rid of us".

Thinking of writing to Border Force for a written response and MAN too. Have any other FTers had such an issue?
We had Crazydre confirm that there was no law requiring UK passport holders use the EU queues, so by that logic you could use the non-EU queue.

In your shoes I would have asked to see the Border Force duty manager, although I would be aware that this may take longer than quietly queueing up for the gate.

Originally Posted by 12939
As the OP notes, there is always a member of MAN staff funnelling everyone into the e-gates and physically blocking the route to the manned desks, either with their person or by closing the Tensabarrier. This therefore requires interaction before one can approach a manned desk.
As for closed tensabarriers, depending how much champagne I have consumed prior to landing, I do quite often just unclip them and walk through ...

(NB, my lack of courtesy to airport staff only applies in the UK where I feel they are obliged to let me in.)

Last edited by Calchas; Feb 25, 2017 at 6:57 pm
Old Feb 25, 2017, 11:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Assess the queues, and the number of serving points carefully: sometimes the multiple server e-gates CAN be quicker. But not often

If the desks look more hopeful, just tell the queue-minder your passport chip doesn't work, and keep walking: they may tell you "they all say that!" - but there can be no other response.
Old Feb 26, 2017, 1:31 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Exec Club, LH Miles & More, AF/KLM Flying Blue, Le Club Accorhotels, Tesco Clubcard
Thanks everyone for your comments and insight - much appreciated.

I have no qualms about moving tensabarriers - have done so in the past - but I am not going to physically move a person out of the way.... MAN do seem to be sticking the boot in here.

I have sent off an e-mail to Border Force seeking clarification on the policy and will report back with a reply - I believe however it will just reinforce what the officers on the desk at MAN have already told me.

Tried to contact MAN via their online feedback form - however the form has a 1000 character limit. Does anyone have an e-mail address I could use?

The 1000 character limit seems low - maybe to discourage anything beyond a "we love you" - backed up by this somewhat sinister remark from the top of the page:

We will thoroughly investigate complaints using systems which provide accurate timings and data including scanned boarding cards and CCTV footage.
Seems like MAN is not keen to receive negative feedback.
Old Feb 26, 2017, 3:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I have sent off an e-mail to Border Force seeking clarification on the policy and will report back with a reply - I believe however it will just reinforce what the officers on the desk at MAN have already told me.
Definitely print out the reply from UKBF, if it confirms what we all believe. You can have a theatrical back and forth with your next MAN agent until you eventually reveal your official letter from UKBF. Bring some reading glasses as well so you can remove them after reading the email with a defiant flourish.
Old Feb 26, 2017, 5:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
The 1000 character limit seems low - maybe to discourage anything beyond a "we love you" - backed up by this somewhat sinister remark from the top of the page:

Seems like MAN is not keen to receive negative feedback.
according to 'word' your entire post is 804 characters (excluding spaces) so not as short as you think it is. Perhaps they are just encouraging short, to the point posts not the ramblings of FT!

Noting wrong with stating they will investigate complaints - just don't try and mess with them by exaggerating times etc.
Old Feb 27, 2017, 1:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
This one is likely to be a case of picking one's battles. Whilst they will probably let you through to an officer eventually, you will have wasted the time difference arguing.

I tend to use my Irish passport card (effectively a national ID card) nowadays, and the manned desks are regularly faster anyway.
Old Feb 27, 2017, 3:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by stifle
This one is likely to be a case of picking one's battles. Whilst they will probably let you through to an officer eventually, you will have wasted the time difference arguing.
Au contraire, it's a question of what is the more satisfying victory.
Old Mar 5, 2017, 4:07 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Note that the T1 tensa barriers have now been replaced with a more permanent metal version. So, you are more or less forced down the automatic barriers route. From what I remember (I was slightly worse for wear), there is a small entry now that states (Families with Children Under 12).

So, there were 4 or 5 UKBF agents sitting there twiddling their thumbs.
Old Mar 5, 2017, 10:27 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DYKWIA
Note that the T1 tensa barriers have now been replaced with a more permanent metal version. So, you are more or less forced down the automatic barriers route. From what I remember (I was slightly worse for wear), there is a small entry now that states (Families with Children Under 12).

So, there were 4 or 5 UKBF agents sitting there twiddling their thumbs.
This is more or less how it was for me on the occasion that led to the original post.

Metal gates with a tensa barrier manned by a MAN dragon at the entrance to EU manned desks. Entry only allowed to families with kids under 12 and holders of EU ID cards.
Old Mar 11, 2017, 7:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
What's the betting that this is going to be trotted out as an excuse for the UKBF agents to be enhanced?
Old Mar 25, 2017, 5:32 am
Original Poster

UPDATE

Came in last night on same flight - same set-up. Queuing again back to pier. 50 minutes from seat to car with HBO. Not bad but again manned desks were almost empty save the odd family and EU ID card.

Not the most efficient use of resources and just serves to underline in my experience the importance (sod all) that MAN attaches to passenger experience. I.e. They'd rather enforce a flawed policy and have massive queues then use resource in the best way to get everyone home quickly.
Old Mar 25, 2017, 5:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
UPDATE

Came in last night on same flight - same set-up. Queuing again back to pier. 50 minutes from seat to car with HBO. Not bad but again manned desks were almost empty save the odd family and EU ID card.

Not the most efficient use of resources and just serves to underline in my experience the importance (sod all) that MAN attaches to passenger experience. I.e. They'd rather enforce a flawed policy and have massive queues then use resource in the best way to get everyone home quickly.
Have you tried telling the obstructing agent that your passport chip doesn't work? He/she will assume you are fibbing*, but they are not empowered to challenge. Heck, I'm not even sure they are empowered to stop you if you say "NO, sorry, I need to speak to one of the border people".

* OK, you might well be fibbing: but in the great scheme of things, it will be forgiven..

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.