LHR Change Of Terminal Information Request

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 17, 2017, 2:28 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, BA, DL, CO, UA, F9, AS, SPG, HHonors Gold, WN, Club Carlson Gold,

I am looking into booking a flight via LHR to CPH, and I am wondering how difficult will it be to get from one Terminal to another. For example, I may fly in from the US on an American Airlines flight into terminal 3, but take a British Airways flight to CPH which I believe departs out of Terminal 5.

Or, I may fly United which I think arrives in Terminal 2, and fly on to CPH also on BA to CPH out of terminal 5.

Therefore if either I arrive Terminal 3 or Terminal 2, how easy will it be to get from one Terminal to another, and how much time should I allow. Will I have to go through Security at LHR when traveling between Terminals.

Thanks for all or any information.
Old Feb 17, 2017, 2:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
try the flight connections guide

and this if going the landside route

Will these be on separate tickets? If so then you need to allow a lot of time clearing UK immigration and collecting your bags, making the transfer and then checking back in time.
Old Feb 18, 2017, 1:32 am

You will absolutely always have to go through security at LHR if connecting international to international or international to domestic, whether you change terminal or not.
United do indeed use Terminal 2. So do SAS, who fly LHR-CPH, both airlines are in Star Alliance and so through ticketing is easy.
Come to that, the majority of US airports which have AA flights to LHR also have BA ones (all except RDU and CLT in fact). These are bookable as codeshares on AA flight numbers, if that is the issue. And all these BA flights from the USA use terminal 5, apart from PHX, LAS, DEN and MIA, which use T3.

So it is possible to design out the terminal change from your journey if it worries you.
Old Feb 18, 2017, 2:24 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
Will these be on separate tickets?
From the way the initial question was worded I would assume so.

If so then you need to allow a lot of time clearing UK immigration and collecting your bags, making the transfer and then checking back in time.
OP - do not underestimate this. I would allow a minimum of three hours for this, better four. You may get lucky with an early arrival and a smooth transfer, but budgeting extra time is better than having to buy a new ticket in case you miss your flight.
Old Feb 18, 2017, 2:38 am

Originally Posted by LondonElite
From the way the initial question was worded I would assume so.

OP - do not underestimate this. I would allow a minimum of three hours for this, better four. You may get lucky with an early arrival and a smooth transfer, but budgeting extra time is better than having to buy a new ticket in case you miss your flight.
The separate tickets is only a problem transfer-wise if OP has checked bags, which isn't clear.

If OP is able to travel hand baggage only, then there's no need to clear immigration and they can just use the airside bus transfer. Still need to clear security at T5.

Of course either way separate tickets means no connection protection in event of delay, so caution still needed, but it's much easier HBO.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.