Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How bad is Luton nowadays?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 3, 2017, 3:46 am
Ambassador: World of Hyatt
Original Poster

Location: UK - the nearest airport is named after a motorway !
How bad is Luton nowadays?

[had a search, and while there were a couple of passing references to LTN in this thread about STN I can't see anything relevant/recent]

I have a daytrip next week, with a choice of LTN or LGW departures. I do LGW relatively frequently (although not since the terminal switch) so I know the score there, but haven't been through LTN for at least a decade. Travel time to each is similar, and the LTN flight timings are slightly better... but what's the airport like now? Specifically parking options (short stay) and security at around 7am on a weekday, and then inbound immigration in the evening.

Anyone?
Old Feb 3, 2017, 4:00 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
It's chaotic, but kind of works.

Short-stay parking is about a 5-10 minute walk from the terminal, and pretty decent value if you pre-book. However, it's a little restricted and disrupted at the moment, as they're building several multi-stories. Beware delays on the M1, even that early.

The terminal area is something of a building site, although it's OK when you're inside. Security is OK - the queues are long, but they do have quite a lot open at 7am, so they go through quickly. Fast-track is worthwhile, and relatively cheap.

The waiting area is also being rebuilt, so it's rather cramped in there. I would suggest finding a café that looks relatively calm and plonking yourself down there. They announce gates at the last minute, some of them are quite a walk, so you get crowds at the monitors by the exit from the waiting area, and an undignified "on your marks, get set, go" when the flight is up (usually at the last minute).

Expect little seating in the departure area - you generally go straight to queue. If you can pay for pre-boarding (or it's a smaller aircraft) then this again makes it much more civilised, as you can just sit back and join the queue later, and not worry about the rush to the gate.

Arrivals are fine - never had more than a 10-minute wait at immigration in the evening.
Old Feb 3, 2017, 4:20 am
Original Poster

thanks stut - doesn't sound too bad.
Old Feb 3, 2017, 5:11 am

It's OK. It looks a right sight at the moment, but it kind of works, if your expectations are set more at bus station than airport.

The downside is that there's little to do if things go wrong. I tend to just install myself in a window seat at Wasabi and surf/people-watch (they have a breakfast menu these days...) Pret is prime position next to the "starting line" monitors, though.

Do pre-book short stay if you're doing that, though, it's miles cheaper.
Old Feb 3, 2017, 8:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, BA Silver, Accor Silver
I used Luton about a decade ago and vowed never again, however ended up there last May early one morning.

Congestion getting into the airport area was horrific and as Stut says the departures area is like a bus station. It's really not very good at all.

I'm in no rush to return.
Old Mar 14, 2017, 10:36 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by stut
It's chaotic, but kind of works.

The terminal area is something of a building site, although it's OK when you're inside.
Originally Posted by Swiss Tony
I used Luton about a decade ago and vowed never again, however ended up there last May early one morning.

Congestion getting into the airport area was horrific and as Stut says the departures area is like a bus station. It's really not very good at all.

I'm in no rush to return.
Tried it this week. Disagree with stut. Agree with Swiss Tony!
Old Mar 14, 2017, 4:15 pm

It's a year since I was there, so perhaps might have improved. But when I was there the construction works around the airport was a war zone - really badly organised. Every vehicle / passenger flow conflicted with each other. Gridlock. I'm in no hurry to ever go back.
Old Mar 16, 2017, 4:26 am

In fairness, I was referring to the interior (at the time) being clear of the building works outside! The expectation is for the atmosphere of a bus station. But I stand by my comments that security and immigration are (IME) better than Heathrow T5, and the airport is fairly local to me, so I'm happy to suffer the rest for that benefit.

The access road is a nightmare at the moment, though. Sometimes you're just as well to walk from the Medium Stay up to the terminal!
Old Mar 16, 2017, 7:53 am

Originally Posted by stut
The access road is a nightmare at the moment, though. Sometimes you're just as well to walk from the Medium Stay up to the terminal!
The access road is being turned into a dual carriageway at the moment - any idea if the extra lanes might be bus only? Or is the expectation that dualling the road will sort out all traffic issues into the terminal? (I've read something less than encouraging about possible traffic conflict problems at the drop off area.)

Also the idea of a transit system from the rail station up to the airport appears to be being taken seriously at the moment.
Old Mar 16, 2017, 8:00 am

Yes, it's being dualled - blueprint is here (interesting URL...)

http://transforminglla.com/article/vvvvvvroom

there's some sensible changes in there. The temporary bus station backs up and causes all sorts of issues at the moment. But it's not just up at the terminal - the airport roundabout also gets clogged up because the fuel station for the airport is across the road from the airfield. Every time a tanker needs to move, the road has to close (there are level crossing style lights). This easily blocks the airport roundabout at busy times too - but this whole area (including the new private terminal) is being rearranged too.

The monorail is definitely being taken seriously by LBC - here's hoping Luton can catch up with Brockway, Ogdenville and North Haverbrook...
Old Mar 16, 2017, 10:32 am

I would say no worse than it ever has been. I like the changes they've made to short term parking and the covered walkway over the road. In fact, I'm sitting here right now typing this from Luton arrivals
Old Mar 17, 2017, 1:01 pm

Similar to my thread around STN, does anyone know if they accept Priority Pass for the Fast Track security at LTN? I've never been through LTN before, but will be next month with my family and wondering if I should pay up or try my like with the PP.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.