Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > U.K. and Ireland
Reload this Page >

London Hotels for 2 Adults + 2 Children (1 + 3 yrs. old)

Old Jan 15, 2017, 3:01 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA

I'm having a difficult time finding hotels in London for 2 adults and 2 children.

I assume that dishonesty is not recommended in this scenario?

(Our oldest sleeps in our bed and the youngest sleeps in a travel crib that we'll be bringing.)

It looks like my only option is Airbnb, but I'd rather stay at a highly rated hotel, if that's a possibility.
Old Jan 15, 2017, 4:16 am

Programs: MUCCI
Hello, welcome to FlyerTalk.

What is the problem you are hitting?
- If it is text saying max '3 person occupancy per room' or some such, then if the room can also offer a crib ('cot' in British english) then I would expect that to 'plus 1' to the capacity. (although some 3 person rooms may not have space).

What bed combinations do you want?

When you say: "(Our oldest sleeps in our bed and the youngest sleeps in a travel crib that we'll be bringing.)" - is that what you WANT? - or is that what you are envisioning under the dishonesty approach.

I've seen many rooms listed in various hotels that have stated - usually due to the nature of the beds - e.g.max 3 adults, or 2 adults, + 2 children under X.
Family rooms (without huge premium) will be more common in the mid market and cheaper end of the spectrum. Also in newer builds, and where there is space - outskirts of places. Triple rooms do exist in some properties (which could be double + single, or 3 singles), but 'family rooms' will often be fold-out/roll out beds - sofa beds, etc. (hence sometimes limited the ages of children, due to different ways they can convert).

Finally what do you mean by 'highly rated' hotel, do you just mean 'reliable'? Or are you conveying anything about the price point in the market? Or nature of services at the hotel?

Where in London do you want - or rather, where are you willing to be? How far out are you willing to go? Family rooms, and larger rooms will generally push you further out, but this is not a problem. London has a good transport network.

(We have a UK&Ireland sub forum where I'm sure this post will be moved shortly).

Last edited by David-A; Jan 15, 2017 at 4:24 am
Old Jan 16, 2017, 3:14 am

Programs: BA, IHG, 5C
This is always a difficult issue to be certain of online.

As a specific example, I know the CP The City has double-double rooms that accommodate 4 for a modest premium. It can be good value at times (mainly weekends) as the location is in the business district but still pretty central.

On the otherhand I webchatted about this with IHG recently. They basically told me I could book for 2+1 and the baby doesn't count; just note it in the reservation. I was asking about a specific hotel (in China) but the answer was very rapid/generic, not a case of them having reviewed the hotel's own policies.

I would maybe do a search for 2+1 and then called up your preferred hotels to see what they can do. To boost your comfort a little further I would also request a crib/cot if possible and see was size you get: our 3yr old isn't small yet still often manages to sleep in a crib "officially" supplied for our infant.
Old Jan 17, 2017, 1:18 am

Programs: BAEC gold, Marriott gold, Hilton gold
Depends what level of hotel you are after. I believe a lot of Holiday Inn Express can easily accomodate 4 to a room. Certainly outside London, but probably within London too.

Try other decent budget chains too like Premier Inn or Travelodge.
Old Jan 17, 2017, 2:41 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe, and Carbon Conscious Travel

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
As we have a dedicated UK & Ireland forum, I'm going to move this over to get a wider audience. Please continue to discuss this topic in the UK & Ireland forum.

stut
Europe Forum
Old Jan 17, 2017, 4:21 am

We were a group of 4 at the Georgian Bower House in London last week. 2 double beds. If you stay there, just beware of the windows with little ones and ask for a room on a lower floor. There isn't an elevator, so the 4th floor got old on about day 3 or 4. The breakfast was small, but you can upgrade for 5 pounds to get eggs and such. We didn't have to do it at this hotel, but there were a couple of times when we only claimed 3 people in the room, but secured a double and 2 twins via the reservation choices to save money. We just made sure that it was a larger hotel where it wouldn't be noticed.
Old Jan 17, 2017, 4:35 am

Programs: BA Silver, IHG Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, Avis Preferred Plus, Amex Plat
In the UK, hotel rooms don't tend to be set up for this, unless they are specifically sold as a family room or a triple/ quad. Most rooms will have either a double bed or two single beds. Even where the beds are larger, you should check if there are extra charges for occupancy above 2 people.

Travelodge certainly do a family room, with a double bed and two single beds. It's not available in every location, but if you put the search criteria, you'll find them.

That said, Travelodges aren't my first choice, and aren't classy!, but may be useful to you.

Example (not a recommendation, but because chosen at random because it has a picture of the room) in Southwark

Hotels.com allows you to specify a room for 2 adults and 2 children, so that might be worth a look, too.
Old Jan 17, 2017, 5:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, BA Silver, Accor Silver
For a step up from a Travelodge, try Premier Inn. Again they have family rooms typically a double and a sofa bed, and will supply a pack & play type cot, too.

The Carlson properties also have some larger rooms - they have some properties on the South bank, right next to the London Eye. Also some more further down the river towards Vauxhall - cheaper, but a bit less convenient.

Grange Hotels again have double/double configurations available, including a property right by St Pauls, but that's expensive on weekdays (often cheap at weekends).

Also the Hilton Tower Bridge has some larger doubles with a sofa bed & enough space for a cot.

Booking.com is also good in terms of finding the correct room configurations. It is obviously reliant on having been indexed correctly in the first place, but it's at least a start!
Old Jan 17, 2017, 8:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Marriott County Hall allowed us in 2 double room with 7 and 10 year olds at no extra charge.
Old Jan 17, 2017, 8:55 am

Novotel have family rooms

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.