Wiki Posts
Search

Travelling to UK with a close expiration passport

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13, 2017, 6:29 am
Original Poster

Travelling to UK with a close expiration passport

hello...

recently i was granted a student visa to study in the UK...

i am planning to make my travelling on Jan 20, 2017 but my passport is expiring on April 5, 2017...

so per the above scenario will it be a problem at the immigration counter...

n.b. - searced homeoffice website and was unable to find anything relavent to my query...
Old Jan 13, 2017, 6:33 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Aronno
hello...

recently i was granted a student visa to study in the UK...

i am planning to make my travelling on Jan 20, 2017 but my passport is expiring on April 5, 2017...

so per the above scenario will it be a problem at the immigration counter...

n.b. - searced homeoffice website and was unable to find anything relavent to my query...
Nationality - Bangladeshi
Old Jan 13, 2017, 7:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Yes it will be a problem!

You really do need a passport that covers the entire length of your trip/studies. Anything less than that will be a red flag to the officer as 'potential over stayer'

No matter what your student visa says about length of visit it would actually be restricted to the amount of time left on your passport.
Old Jan 13, 2017, 7:10 am
Original Poster

Hi Bear,

Thank you for ur quick response...

My visa duration is for 4 years though my visa vignette states visa for 1 month as UK is giving BRP cards after entry to UK with the exact duration...

Secondly I am planning to re-issue my passport whilst being in the UK...I have contacted the Bangladesh Mission in London, and they have confirmed it generally takes 25-30 days (including weekends) to deliver the passport...

If I count days from my travel date, I exactly get 2 months 16 days in my passport before it can be declared as expired...

I have all my plans...all I need is suggestion regarding the entry and the airlines...
Old Jan 14, 2017, 1:52 pm

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
If I count days from my travel date, I exactly get 2 months 16 days in my passport before it can be declared as expired...

I have all my plans...all I need is suggestion regarding the entry and the airlines...
Your problem will be that your passport expires soon and which will almost certainly be a red flag at immigration.
Old Jan 14, 2017, 3:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
This seems to make it clear to me, did you try looking at this site?

You’re not from an EEA country
You must have a valid passport to enter the UK. It must be valid for the whole of your stay.
Old Jan 14, 2017, 9:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thank you Silver Fox for posting that link which reinforces what I said in post #3

Given the current HMGs clampdown on all aspects of immigration anyone not having the right documentation is going to undergo additional scrutiny on arrival and risk an immediate turnround.

What's not mentioned is what the airline bringing the OP into the UK will do regarding the passport / visa checks they do. They could refuse to carry the OP so they may not even get to the UK!
Old Jan 16, 2017, 7:23 am
Original Poster

Hello Mates...

thank u for all the replies...

i am applying for a new passport tomorrow...

here comes the second query, which is do i need to transfer my visa sticker to the new passport or i can travel attesting the new passport with the old one??
Old Jan 16, 2017, 7:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
The visa is still valid and as long as you present the visa that is in the expired passport with your new, valid-for-your-entire-stay passport, then that in itself should not be a problem.
Old Jan 16, 2017, 7:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Hello Mates...

thank u for all the replies...

i am applying for a new passport tomorrow...

here comes the second query, which is do i need to transfer my visa sticker to the new passport or i can travel attesting the new passport with the old one??
Take your old passport with you.

DO NOT attempt to remove the sticker or even the pages from your old passport. Immigration officers (and anyone else who may need to check your visa status e.g. the NHS) will need to see the actual visa even if it is in your old passport.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.