Carrying cash through an airport (LGW)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Carrying cash through an airport (LGW)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6, 2017, 7:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by rcspeirs
Although this friend has been carrying large wads of cash for years, the norms of society and legislation have moved on...
That's key. I used phone booths for years, wrote reports on typewriters for years, cleaned and adjusted spark plugs for years, looked things up in a paper encyclopedia for years, etc. The world of 2017 is not the world in which he got into this habit. The reasons aren't his fault, but we don't get to choose which parts of today we like and which we don't. He's stuck in today's world with all its warts. As previously posted, carrying that much cash for this purpose is asking for all sorts of trouble. He should accept that it doesn't suit today's world, any more than paying by weighing ounces of gold does, and come up with another method of payment.

(If the seller won't take any other method of payment, that's a big red flag.)
Old Jan 6, 2017, 1:45 pm
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
I frequently carry large amounts of cash through airports, declaring it to customs officials when the amount requires me to do so.

I have never been stopped or asked any questions by the security personnel with regards to the cash. If my luggage is held aside for further screening, the cash has never been the reason (usually it's because I also carry a lot of electronic equipment and the wires look a bit suspicious on the x-ray, or have forgotten to take out a bottle of liquid).

That said, I do agree with all the other posters that it would be highly inadvisable to purchase a car with this amount of cash for all the reasons already given.
Old Jan 6, 2017, 2:35 pm

Originally Posted by :D!
I frequently carry large amounts of cash through airports
Out of curiosity, why?
Old Jan 7, 2017, 6:17 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
Originally Posted by Ldnn1
Out of curiosity, why?
It is cheaper for me to do so than to use international bank transfers, for certain currencies and bank accounts, and in some of the countries I go to, exchanging in cash is cheaper than exchanging via a bank.

Also, I collect banknotes and coins and I assist several numismatic dealers who I buy from to repatriate out-of-circulation currency which they have acquired.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.