Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > U.K. and Ireland
Reload this Page >

London - Late Evening Tube Ride or Taxi?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 6, 2016, 2:19 pm
Original Poster

If a single woman needs to get from a location near the Bond Street station to an area near the Gloucester Road station on a late Friday evening (>10 pm), would you recommend she use the Tube or take a taxi? Not a cost issue, more a safety concern.

Thanks for any assistance you may be able to provide.
Old Dec 6, 2016, 2:45 pm

Safety is absolutely fine on tube. You'll encounter lots of drunk people but it will be well populated (busy) and nothing to be concerned about.

The only question mark would be if you have a long walk through quiet streets to get to your place from Gloucester Road station, but it's a pretty safe area.

That said Ubers are extrmely good value if not surge pricing, but traffic can be pretty slow at that time in central London.
Old Dec 6, 2016, 2:51 pm

Originally Posted by 385thBG
If a single woman needs to get from a location near the Bond Street station to an area near the Gloucester Road station on a late Friday evening (>10 pm), would you recommend she use the Tube or take a taxi? Not a cost issue, more a safety concern.

Thanks for any assistance you may be able to provide.
I've zero equivocation in saying the Tube is absolutely fine.

Said lady may also wish to consider the route 74 bus, which also makes this journey direct (the Tube requires a change, though it isn't difficult). No worries about using the bus either.
Old Dec 6, 2016, 2:51 pm

Programs: price is a king
echo that,

when in doubt use Uber in London - much cheaper than taxis and on a safer side.

mfk
Old Dec 6, 2016, 3:05 pm
Original Poster

Thank you all for your prompt responses. Tube it will be. The walk from the station is less than two blocks down Cromwell, a well-lit and fairly busy street, even at night.
Old Dec 6, 2016, 3:09 pm

Originally Posted by 385thBG
Thank you all for your prompt responses. Tube it will be. The walk from the station is less than two blocks down Cromwell, a well-lit and fairly busy street, even at night.
You mean Cromwell Road rather than Cromwell. We don't drop the second bit on this side of the pond.
Old Dec 6, 2016, 3:12 pm

Originally Posted by MichalFKowalik
echo that,

when in doubt use Uber in London - much cheaper than taxis and on a safer side.

mfk
Don't say that in front of a London taxi driver!

To be fair, proper London taxi drivers - as opposed to minicab drivers (which is the category Uber falls into in the UK) - are subject to more stringent statutory checks.

That said, I wouldn't have any great safety issues with Uber drivers here, and of course the Uber system comprehensively record what driver took which Uber customer where and when.
Old Dec 7, 2016, 7:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

All of my female friends use the tube routinely at that time. London is pretty safe for a big city.
Old Dec 7, 2016, 11:54 am

Programs: IHG Spire, National Exec, AA Plat
I agree, tube it. Was just there, in that area last week, taking the last trains each night. No issues at all.
Old Dec 8, 2016, 5:53 am

Originally Posted by Mizter T
Don't say that in front of a London taxi driver!

To be fair, proper London taxi drivers - as opposed to minicab drivers (which is the category Uber falls into in the UK) - are subject to more stringent statutory checks.

That said, I wouldn't have any great safety issues with Uber drivers here, and of course the Uber system comprehensively record what driver took which Uber customer where and when.
Please don't peddle this myth about driver safety for Uber. The background checks they go through are exactly the same as those for black cab drivers.
Old Dec 11, 2016, 10:29 am

Originally Posted by London_traveller
Please don't peddle this myth about driver safety for Uber. The background checks they go through are exactly the same as those for black cab drivers.
only for london (and nyc, maybe a handful of other cities/countries)....

anyone applying has to go through the same regulaton/checks as regular taxis (TfL for london, TLC for nyc)

for other cities/countries, this is not the case
Old Dec 12, 2016, 10:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by paperwastage
anyone applying has to go through the same regulaton/checks as regular taxis (TfL for london.........)
True but, unlike black cab drivers, minicab drivers (which includes Uber drivers) don't have to pass the stringent tests regarding driving in London.

I am a great fan of Uber in London, but I wouldn't dream of claiming that they are comparable to proper taxi drivers - it's Vauxhall league (quite literally sometimes) compared to Premier League.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.