Reload this Page >

American Express in the UK?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

American Express in the UK?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 30, 2016, 4:45 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
You will be amazed to find how many retailers (online or otherwise) in the UK do not accept Amex. My main credit card is an MBNA issued Amex but they also provide a Visa card linked to the same account and I have to use the latter from time to time.
Old Nov 30, 2016, 5:48 am

Originally Posted by NewbieRunner
You will be amazed to find how many retailers (online or otherwise) in the UK do not accept Amex. My main credit card is an MBNA issued Amex but they also provide a Visa card linked to the same account and I have to use the latter from time to time.
Conversely I'm often surprised when small retailers do accept Amex. For example there's a really tiny sandwich bar I get lunch from by the hangars at LTN which accepts it with no minimum spend, which is great but quite unusual.
Old Nov 30, 2016, 11:12 am
Original Poster

This is slightly off topic, but while talking about using my Amex..... I was wondering if there will be in grocery stores within walking distance of Hallmark Hotel in Carlisle? Does anyone know? And if so, will it take Amex?

Thanks!
Old Nov 30, 2016, 11:57 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
As ever, Google Maps comes to the rescue...

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/....9328653?hl=en

There is a Tesco Metro (i.e. smaller supermarket) within 200m of your hotel. They take Amex. A little further away is a Sainsbury (top left of the map, maybe slightly off), they also take Amex. They are decent options (the latter usually better in quality). Unfortunately there is no Waitrose in Carlisle (I think). That would have been the best option.
Old Nov 30, 2016, 12:17 pm

Originally Posted by LondonElite
There is a Tesco Metro (i.e. smaller supermarket).
Depends on the comparator. For me a Tesco Metro is a 'larger supermarket' vs the smaller Tesco Express/Sainsbury's Locals you most commonly see in London. And even Express stores are usualy quite a bit larger than most 7/11s you might be used to in the US.

Basically a Tesco Metro is pretty comprehensive and will have everything you'd need on a short trip, but is smaller than a 'large' or out-of-town supermarket.
Old Nov 30, 2016, 12:25 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
To be completely honest I have no idea about Tesco...I avoid that place given the demographics of the typical patron in my area.

I'll get my hat...
Old Nov 30, 2016, 1:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

What is a Tesco?

Old Nov 30, 2016, 4:20 pm

Originally Posted by mad_rich
Interesting comments from the city-dwellers!
For a bit of balance I'm a city dweller, and I can think of a fair number of establishments in said metropolis that don't accept card payments whatsoever but are nonetheless well worth patronising.
Old Dec 1, 2016, 12:23 pm

Programs: BA Silver, VS Red, OZ Silver
Originally Posted by Swanhunter
What is a Tesco?

It's a place that'll give you 2.5 Avios for Ł1 and as an added bonus, free food.
Old Dec 2, 2016, 10:10 am
Original Poster

Odd reason we want to go to the grocery store there is because we were told to look for different items than we have here to try. It was suggested that we look for cake mixes (to take home) and the candy aisle.

On that note.....can you think of anything that is unique to that area?
Old Dec 2, 2016, 10:49 am

Originally Posted by gkrnjlr
Odd reason we want to go to the grocery store there is because we were told to look for different items than we have here to try. It was suggested that we look for cake mixes (to take home) and the candy aisle.

On that note.....can you think of anything that is unique to that area?
Not quite Carlisle but something northern and sweet is the Eccles cake - very nice and unlikely to be found in the US.

More generally, UK chocolate is universally better than US chocolate. Even the same brands (Cadbury, Kit Kat etc) taste better here - so fill yer boots! British biscuits like digestives/hobnobs are great too.

On the other hand cake mix is less of a thing in these parts and nothing springs to mind on that front, but the supermarkets will I'm sure have some brownie mix or whatever.

Also remember we don't call it 'candy' - it's sweets (non-chocolatey) or chocolate.
Old Dec 2, 2016, 10:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, BA Silver, Accor Silver
There's something called kendal mint cake.

Romney's (who make it) are based in Kendal in the Southern Lakes, but they also make other things which might work better as souvenirs...

http://www.mintcake.co.uk/brochure/
Old Dec 2, 2016, 12:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
And some wonderful fudge which really is to die for.
Old Dec 2, 2016, 1:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by Swiss Tony
There's something called kendal mint cake.

Romney's (who make it) are based in Kendal in the Southern Lakes, but they also make other things which might work better as souvenirs...

http://www.mintcake.co.uk/brochure/

mmmmm chocolate coated mint cake.

Want some NOW!
Old Dec 2, 2016, 1:53 pm

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Platinum, Accor Gold
My American friends all love Galaxy chocolate and always ask me to bring some whenever I visit. Other favourites are Cadbury's mini eggs and Kinder Surprise (which are, er, "not allowed" in the US).

Other items my friends request are PG Tips tea bags and cans of English cider (there's a much better selection in the UK). A good Northern drink to try/buy is Vimto (cordial). It's lovely in the winter if you make it with hot water.^

I also recommend Lancashire cheese (but being from Lancashire, I am a bit biased!) You get a decent selection up North whereas even in London's best cheese shops (such as Neal's Yard Dairy), they tend to only stock one type of Lancashire cheese (usually from either Butler's or Mrs Kirkham). I've asked them about what type of cheese it is and they've failed miserably to know. Heathens!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.