Search

What to eat in Dublin (budget)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 21, 2016, 5:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC, IB+, TAM multi+
What to eat in Dublin (budget)

Hi,

I am looking for what to eat in Dublin. I am on a student budget, and I'll spend a quick 2 days there this week.

What do people eat in Dublin? I know in England they eat fish and chips, and indian curries, and you can also find kebobs I think. However I have no idea what people eat in dublin? Do they eat the same as English people? Can you find kebobs? What about fish and chips? Or is that a specifically English, and not an Irish thing?

So say Irish people have drunk a few guinness at the pub, or whiskey, or murphys irish red (haha yes I do know what they drink). What do they eat late at night?

The only traditional Irish foods I know of are corned beef, mashed potatoes and irish stew. Neither of those foods sound very special to me and I wouldn't necessarily go out of my way to eat them. But hey I might be mistaken here ! By all means prove my misconceptions wrong.

To give an idea of what I would eat typically in other countries like an snack or a lunch or when on the go even as dinner:

- Fried fish
- Raw herring (is a dutch delicacy)
- Fried stuff in general (in holland we have Kroket for example)
- Pizza but that's quite generic
- Sausages, bratwurst, anything like a sausage is good
- Pastries with meat and such are always good
- Kebob, in all variations
- falafel (one of my favourites !)
- pljeskavica and other balkan style meats like those
- Fries (as in potato, chips)
- any dish with fish in it is good. calamares, sardines , shrimp really anything fishy.
- anything sweet is less my favourite but still okay to try, if it's particularly good
- good hamburger places also welcome (as in GOOD, willing to pay a bit more here !)

So what would I eat in dublin? Any other country I go to I have some idea of what they eat. But in ireland ?I have absolutely no idea what these people eat, whatsoever. I have never been to ireland, I have rarely spoken with irish people. I know absolutely nothing about the country at all.

Thanks in advance

Okay I have done some research and it seems that

- they do have fish and chips (atleast I can eat that !)

- they have 'deep fried sausage', that sounds nice.

For the rest the food doesnt seem to be terribly interesting. But again I may be mistaken !

Last edited by cblaisd; Nov 21, 2016 at 11:37 am Reason: merged poster's two consecutive posts
Old Nov 21, 2016, 7:48 am

Programs: DL Gold, CO Silver
Dublin is a cosmopolitan city and every cuisine is available.
After the pub budget food would tend to be similar to Britain, fish and chips, kebabs, curry houses , Chinese etc.

Traditional Irish food tends to be non budget with the exception of breakfast where an excellent Irish fry (think full English breakfast but with soda bread and white pudding) can be found in cafes everywhere.

Irish beef is some of the best in the world so good burger places tend to be very good.

Oh and Irish stew is wonderful !
Old Nov 21, 2016, 7:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by Bakpapier
So what would I eat in dublin? Any other country I go to I have some idea of what they eat. But in ireland ?I have absolutely no idea what these people eat, whatsoever. I have never been to ireland, I have rarely spoken with irish people. I know absolutely nothing about the country at all.
You make it sound like the most incredibly distant, exotic, and remote place - so far away that it may have its own distinct flroa and fauna, and too far away to have any food resembling anything you might ever have encountered before.

It's really not. You can even find Irish meat in every AH supermarket (the "Greenfields" range)!!
Old Nov 21, 2016, 8:34 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by irishguy28
You make it sound like the most incredibly distant, exotic, and remote place - so far away that it may have its own distinct flroa and fauna, and too far away to have any food resembling anything you might ever have encountered before.

It's really not. You can even find Irish meat in every AH supermarket (the "Greenfields" range)!!
I have never eaten that meat. I have seen it but I never bought it, is it good? And as I said I have never ever been to ireland.

I have also been to England only once, excepting lay overs in London Heathrow which I don't think count as 'having been to england'.

Originally Posted by duchy
Dublin is a cosmopolitan city and every cuisine is available.
After the pub budget food would tend to be similar to Britain, fish and chips, kebabs, curry houses , Chinese etc.

Traditional Irish food tends to be non budget with the exception of breakfast where an excellent Irish fry (think full English breakfast but with soda bread and white pudding) can be found in cafes everywhere.

Irish beef is some of the best in the world so good burger places tend to be very good.

Oh and Irish stew is wonderful !
I will try the irish breakfast if I have the chance. I love English breakfast !

Maybe I'll try a high quality beef burger then, if the meat is really good. I have never eaten it.

Mind you, I joined flyer talk because I have recently grown to like travelling, and have been flying a lot more than I used to for various reasons: family visits, study/internship, visiting friends, and also for leisure trips.

When I grew up we very rarely set foot in an airplane. Many people around me had never flown before. We had because we had, as one of the very few people, family abroad.

We never went to England because we were unable to drive on the left (or at least afraid to). Let alone ireland. We have very often gone to the other surrounding countries though.

Last edited by cblaisd; Nov 21, 2016 at 11:38 am Reason: merged poster's three consecutive posts
Old Nov 21, 2016, 1:43 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
As others have said, it will be easy to find all kinds of quick, cheap foods in Dublin. Doner kebabs, burgers, pizza, fast food restaurants, are all around. Kind of what you'd expect in a well-known city with a lot of tourism.

My advice for someone on a budget...definitely try an Irish breakfast while you're there, have lighter fast food lunches, and plan for one nicer (not necessarily expensive) dinner so you'll get to experience some traditional Irish food too.

While I'm a long ways from being a student these days, I would certainly advocate for saving your money for Guinness and a bit of whiskey while you're there.
Old Nov 22, 2016, 12:31 am

Programs: UA Silver
If you want a lot of food for very little money, Govinda's is the way to go.
Old Nov 22, 2016, 6:31 am

Programs: IHG Spire, National Exec, AA Plat
The strategy I usually take in Ireland is this:
1) Have a good breakfast (usually included at hotel)
2) Hit a Tesco for lunch, their grab and go sandwiches are good and CHEAP
3) Have a decent dinner - try to get outside of the tourist area and it gets slightly cheaper.

What area will you be staying in?
Old Nov 22, 2016, 11:28 am

Programs: DL Silver, AA, UA, B6, WN
Zaytoon's in Temple Bar, across the street from the Clarence Hotel, is cheap and has good kebab type stuff. Also ate at a good and cheap fish and chips place close by called Leo Burdock's. There was a great international food court on the other side of the Liffey but alas they closed.
Old Nov 23, 2016, 3:21 pm
Original Poster

Thanks all for the tips !

I had a good amount of Irish beer and whiskey.

I went to Howth and had very good cod and chips. It wasnt so cheap but it was great value as it was a HUGE amount, and very good !

I also had some kind of irish stew with lamb which was delicious, if a bit small portion for me, I could have downed 2 plates of that. Value was great for that one.

The rest of my meals was fast food mostly, sometimes in a less than conscious state

I really wanted the Irish/english breakfast but my hostel included a breakfast with foods I am used to which was a better idea for my stomach at that time.

Why are cigarettes so expensive though? 9,60 for a pack!? I hardly smoked when I was there (just gave someone 50 cents for a cig) as that's just unpayable, wow ! So my tip for the smokers out there, bring some cigs before you go to Dublin.

Lastly I would definately go back to ireland, but I'd go more for the nature, the west coast, maybe the wicklow mountains etc. Because I enjoyed a trip to Howth the most, walking along the cliff shore, with the fresh air. Don't get me wrong Dublin is allright but I think I am more of a nature person.

[QUOTE=UAPremExecflyer;27514108]
Hi,

I am looking for what to eat in Dublin. I am on a student budget, and I'll spend a quick 2 days there this week.

The only traditional Irish foods I know of are corned beef, mashed potatoes and irish stew. Neither of those foods sound very special to me and I wouldn't necessarily go out of my way to eat them. But hey I might be mistaken here ! By all means prove my misconceptions wrong.

Okay I have done some research and it seems that]

Your post and pretty ignorant questions don't speak well of you. A modicum of basic research before posting would stand in you reasonable stead so that you could ask some meaningful questions. I hope you take a more interested approach to other tasks and travel ...
If you don't like this thread, why are you posting in it? Just post somewhere else. Haters gonna hate !
Old Nov 23, 2016, 3:26 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bchandler02
The strategy I usually take in Ireland is this:
1) Have a good breakfast (usually included at hotel)
2) Hit a Tesco for lunch, their grab and go sandwiches are good and CHEAP
3) Have a decent dinner - try to get outside of the tourist area and it gets slightly cheaper.

What area will you be staying in?
Yeah thanks for the tips, my friend had the tesco sandwiches.

I was staying near that huge needle/spire like thing you can see from everywhere ! Near o conel street.
Old Nov 24, 2016, 9:47 am

Programs: IHG Spire, National Exec, AA Plat
Yeah thanks for the tips, my friend had the tesco sandwiches.

I was staying near that huge needle/spire like thing you can see from everywhere ! Near o conel street.
Yes, the Spire of Dublin. There's plenty of stuff around there.

I'll add that my favorite two places in Ireland are Tullamore and Cork. May be worth a visit when you return.

Also, O'Neils is just around the corner from the college, that's a good place to go get a ton of food: http://www.oneillspubdublin.com/
Old Nov 24, 2016, 10:39 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
I'll second O'Neills.

Roast beef in 2015:

Lamb shanks in 2015:

Old Nov 27, 2016, 6:19 pm

Originally Posted by tom911
I'll second O'Neills.

Roast beef in 2015:

Lamb shanks in 2015:

I'm not even hungry, but these pics make me want to eat! This reminds me of the meals my great-grandma used to cook when I was little. Thx for posting!

Last edited by TravelingNomads; Nov 28, 2016 at 5:19 am
Old Nov 28, 2016, 5:23 pm

Thanks all for the tips !

I had a good amount of Irish beer and whiskey.

I went to Howth and had very good cod and chips. It wasnt so cheap but it was great value as it was a HUGE amount, and very good !
I was going to recommend taking the DART out to Howth and having Beshoff Bros. fish and chips, but it looks like you were way ahead of me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.