Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LON-Liverpool-LON travel options?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 27, 2016, 11:19 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by London_traveller
I don't really agree the journey from Heathrow to Euston is so painful.

Heathrow Express to Paddington, fairly easy connection to the Circle/Hammersmith & City line, then four stops to Euston Square where it's a 3-4 minute walk to the station, all signposted.
Isn't the transfer to the tube at Paddington currently pessimised due to station construction?
Old Nov 28, 2016, 12:23 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Pessimised?
Old Nov 28, 2016, 12:58 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
Opposite of optimised, at a guess!
Old Nov 28, 2016, 1:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

No issues with tube access at Paddington. Bakerloo looks re-opened in August but that closure had no impact on the H&C.
Old Nov 28, 2016, 2:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by stut
Opposite of optimised, at a guess!
Or even guesstimated.

I rather like the idea of pessimised. If you assume all your travel will be pessimised, then you will find you have been pleasantised!
Old Nov 28, 2016, 6:38 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
Surely "enhanced" would be the correct FT term...

Mind you, assuming you can make it up the stairs to the overbridge, the only pain getting to the H&C Tube station at Paddington is the pinch point as the bridge leaves the station, and aggressive London commuters heading in the opposite direction...

Still, it wouldn't be my first choice after a long-haul flight.
Old Dec 17, 2016, 3:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Another possibility I found, is the purchase of British rail pass. If reading the details correctly this would allow travel on the intercity train London-Liverpool r/t and include the Heathrow Express. Cost: ~ $ 145 for 3 days, incl. delivery charges.
I believe it is issued by EuRail.

Any pros and cons re this option?
Old Dec 17, 2016, 4:34 pm

Those Britrail passes are not sold within the UK, they are specifically marketed to visitors, so it's hard for us locals to offer much advice on them.
Old Dec 17, 2016, 6:27 pm

Programs: BA Silver, IHG Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, Avis Preferred Plus, Amex Plat
As rcspeirs says, you won't find much expertise on BritRail passes among Brits. It sounds expensive for what you want to do, given the price of a flexible London-Liverpool return quoted above (Ł82/ $102) and the cost of a single Heathrow Express (no more than Ł22 booked online, as little as Ł5.50 inflexible booked in advance) or Tube (Ł3-Ł6).

The benefit is the pass covers you for both journeys, without worrying about tickets or validity or peak times or committing to a single train, but for me it's a hell of a price to pay for that flexibility.

That London-Liverpool ticket can't be used ex-London between 1440 and 1907. If can travel outside those times, then you could just get the tube or HEX + tube to Euston and buy a ticket at the ticket office and it would be cheaper than buying the Brit Rail pass. Better still, the option of a flexible outward portion + inflexible inward portion would be cheaper.

If you want to travel in the evening peak, and don't want to commit to a single train, then the London-Liverpool ticket rises considerably, so the Brit Rail pass looks like good value. (I assume the pass is valid on peak-time journeys - we'd need to look into this!)

Phew, it's not easy, negotiating UK rail fares. Are you sure you can't fly into Manchester? ;-)
Old Dec 18, 2016, 8:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mad_rich
Phew, it's not easy, negotiating UK rail fares. Are you sure you can't fly into Manchester? ;-)
Indeed. Thanks all of you for your valuable feedback in addressing my concerns. After learning about BA strike, no trains on Boxing day, Heathrow Express not operating: Railpass is out. Working on other options, maybe even cxl trip alltogether (refundable ticket, so not the end of the world).
Old Dec 18, 2016, 9:25 am

Programs: BA Silver, IHG Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, Avis Preferred Plus, Amex Plat
The lack of Heathrow Express shouldn't be a big problem. For many people it's a toss-up between Heathrow Express and tube for that journey. With no HEX, it's decision made! (Piccadilly Line to Green Park, change for Victoria Line to Euston - I'm sure tube connoisseurs on here will pipe up if there is a better connection).

Didn't realise you were travelling over Christmas though. That makes things a bit more difficult in general, even before the strikes have struck.

The BA strikes should only affect 25 and 26 December, and even then only a small number of flights. They are prioritising keeping the long-haul flights running, with short-haul more likely to be disrupted (although hopefully not disastrously).

The Swissport (handling agent) strike is on 23 and 24. Depending on your airline and dates, you might not be affected at all. (Mind you, the fog or snow might still get you!)
Old Dec 21, 2016, 8:40 am

Programs: ihg plat, hh gold, hertz 5*
I usually just walk from King's Cross to Euston, but that's dependent on weather and luggage (takes ~10 minutes), and because I feel like spending a few minutes outside!

If this trip is going to take place around Christmas, then that's information that would have been helpful to know earlier.
e.g., there are no time restrictions on the off-peak rail tickets between 22nd December (pm) and 2nd January, and some trains will be very busy and a reservation may be advisable.

(the Swissport strike is off, and BA say all flights will be running)
Old Dec 22, 2016, 2:28 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
BA strike suspended

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.