Wiki Posts
Search

Cycling Scotland

Search this Thread

Old Nov 10, 2016, 5:47 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA, DL, AA, Sutherlands Lumber
Cycling Scotland

I'll be in Scotland May 2017. Initially considered hiking, but cycling might be a better option.....and I'm set up to do it.

Bumping this post from the WHW thread....

Originally Posted by stut
The West Highland Way itself wouldn't be my first choice for a cycle route. While bikes are allowed, it's more of a footpath, and priority is (quite rightly) given to walkers. That makes for slow progress and dismounts at points.

Again, Visit Scotland have some excellent cycling resources:

https://www.visitscotland.com/see-do/active/cycling/

I did the "Bute and the Cowal" route for my stag weekend - really recommend it, or any of the island itineraries (check all the ferries are running at the time of year you're going, though...) The site also gives links to cycle hire places around the country.

Sustrans give a handy cycling map of the UK (Google Maps also has a good cycle route overlay, but Sustrans links through to route descriptions, etc.

http://www.sustrans.org.uk/ncn/map

The NCN is a network of cycle routes that follow a mixture of on- and off-road itineraries, made as suitable for cycling as possible. There is some gentle off-road included (often on former railway lines or along canal towpaths) - suitable for a hybrid, but not always a road bike. It's mostly very good, but there are some instances where they take you on silly diversions just to avoid a 2-mile stretch of 'unsuitable' road.
I'm 65 and fairly sturdy. No wild camping, hostels and B&B's will be great. Ready for cool, damp cycling. 5-17 deg C, 40-55 deg F.
Old Nov 11, 2016, 4:26 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
Actually, you may get hot, sunny weather in May. It tends to be one of the better months in Scotland. Of course, you may also get cool and damp. In the same day. But it's generally a lovely time of year. Take breathable waterproofs and layers, above all. And really, make sure any panniers are waterproof (Ortlieb back-rollers are always my recommendation!)

I also recommend planning your route around meal stops. While you'll always find a pub or a chippy to fill you up, these can be few and far between when you head out into the wilds!

The days will also be getting quite long - expect a sunset around 9pm.

Bear in mind that you can take your bike on the train as well - some freely, some restricted with peak flow, some needing a reservation. This can be a good way of getting out of the city without having to use some of the less interesting routes to do so. For example, you can get the train from Glasgow to Wemyss Bay, hop on the ferry to Rothesay, and start your journey in Bute. Full details here:

https://www.scotrail.co.uk/plan-your...ctions/cycling

Ferries always take bikes.

Otherwise, I can't really do any better than the Visit Scotland website - I've always used it and Sustrans to plan routes in Scotland. However, there's also the interesting website:

https://www.bedsforcyclists.co.uk/

which is good if you want to wash bikes, dry stuff, store securely, etc, etc.
Old Nov 11, 2016, 10:12 am

I can recommend Undiscovered Scotland to find those places just that wee bit out of the way.

It's a clickable map which will reward an evening's internet perusal perhaps better appreciated with a glass of your favoured uisge-beatha.

Not too much water now!
Old Dec 27, 2016, 11:40 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by pierre mclopez
I'll be in Scotland May 2017. Initially considered hiking, but cycling might be a better option.....and I'm set up to do it.
Over the 40 years I regularly spent cycle touring and hiking in Scotland my cycling trips were by far the most enjoyable so I feel you've chosen well. You can cover more ground and I found carrying my gear in panniers on the bike much easier than having a heavy rucksack on my back.

I'm 65 and fairly sturdy. No wild camping, hostels and B&B's will be great. Ready for cool, damp cycling. 5-17 deg C, 40-55 deg F.
My old cycling mate was still cycling in his 70's with a fully packed bike including the kitchen sink so you'll be okay. Note the tin of soup where the water bottle should be. You can always find water in Scotland but tins of soup aren't around every corner.

Old Dec 31, 2016, 12:24 pm

Programs: AA 1M, AA Platinum, HA Pualani Gold, KAL Morning Calm, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold
What fun! One of my dreams has been to hike across Scotland, England and/or Italy!
Will you be posting a Trip Report?
Old Jan 11, 2017, 9:26 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Kaneohe0850
Will you be posting a Trip Report?
Thanks for your interest. I'm juggling a lot of factors and plans are tentative. Cycling is still a great option. Will know more soon.
Old Feb 12, 2017, 7:43 pm
Original Poster

Still "juggling a lot of factors" which includes getting my doctor's permission (I'm 66).

In the meantime, here's a video by Hannah Barnes.....

ETA: Circumstances are working against me. Appears I may cancel.

However......I have found an interesting option for those who will cycle in Scotland.

Planet X Bikes are made in Sheffield England. These are an exceptional value! You can purchase a Planet X bike in Sheffield, enjoy your holiday and ship home to USA or wherever and avoid VAT.

http://www.planetx.co.uk/

Last edited by pierre mclopez; Mar 29, 2017 at 10:39 am
Old Feb 13, 2017, 8:25 am

Programs: Amex Plat, AA, BA Silver, Marriott Plat, Choice Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Diamond
Still "juggling a lot of factors" which includes getting my doctor's permission (I'm 66).

In the meantime, here's a video by Hannah Barnes.....

Hannah Barnes: NorthWest - A mountain bike adventure through the Scottish Highlands - YouTube
Hope it works out. I imagine a bike tour would be a lot of fun although there's no doubt with some of the changes in elevation, you want to be in tip-top shape when you go.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.