Community
Wiki Posts
Search

traveling to the uk for vacation over the holidays

Search this Thread

Old Oct 25, 2016, 7:10 am
Original Poster

traveling to the uk for vacation over the holidays

Hello everyone! I'll be traveling to England to spend the holidays with my boyfriend and his family, I will be there from November 30th until febuary 21st. I have read several horror stories on the Internet about long stays and I just wanted some advice about border control. I am an 18 year old, unemployed American girl, which I know gives some red flags. I have traveled to the uk for 9 days in august and i was barely even asked a question, but I know this time will be different. This is the documentation I will be carrying with me, what is the likely chance that I will be detained/ deported and refused entry?
- my itinerary and confirmation of my return flight
- invitation letter from his parents allowing me to stay rent free for the duration of my 86 day visit
-and invitation letter from my boyfriend stating the same information
- a notorized letter from my sister confirming I have to return at the end of February to babysit my nephews while she is on a university trip (family tie)
- bank statements from my account showing I have funds
- 200 pound on my person
- a credit card and debit card I have used in that country before
- pictures of my pets that I have to return to
- optional bank statements from my boyfriend and contract of his employment

These are the documents that I can bring with me,I just want to know am I likely to be turned away? I'm ready for questioning, I know it's there job, but will they likely just send me back home? Thanks!
Old Oct 25, 2016, 8:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Welcome to FT but please remember this is not a specific immigration board and you may be better off searching for one of those.

No one here can tell you if you will be turned away or not as it is up to the officer you present yourself too on arrival.

Whilst it pays to be prepared by having certain documents ready - return ticket etc - will help but being over prepared and handing over a sheaf of papers (including pet photos) with your passport could actually be a flag to the officer and cause you problems you were actually trying to avoid i.e. an in depth interview and possible refusal.

Just answer the questions confidently and truthfully.
Old Oct 25, 2016, 10:01 am

Programs: BA Silver, VS Red, OZ Silver
Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
Welcome to FT but please remember this is not a specific immigration board and you may be better off searching for one of those.

No one here can tell you if you will be turned away or not as it is up to the officer you present yourself too on arrival.

Whilst it pays to be prepared by having certain documents ready - return ticket etc - will help but being over prepared and handing over a sheaf of papers (including pet photos) with your passport could actually be a flag to the officer and cause you problems you were actually trying to avoid i.e. an in depth interview and possible refusal.

Just answer the questions confidently and truthfully.
+1

Have this information available but do not offer it unless specifically asked. Answer only the question being asked...the more you speak, the more you risk saying something that digs you into a hole.

Will your boyfriend meet you at the airport? This will help because it's not uncommon for the immigration officer to locate the people meeting you landside to ensure stories match.
Old Oct 25, 2016, 12:04 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Skatering
+1

Have this information available but do not offer it unless specifically asked. Answer only the question being asked...the more you speak, the more you risk saying something that digs you into a hole.

Will your boyfriend meet you at the airport? This will help because it's not uncommon for the immigration officer to locate the people meeting you landside to ensure stories match.
Yes he is and ao will his mom, and all of their contact information will be on the letters if needed, and no I definitely won't disclose any info unless asked
Old Oct 25, 2016, 1:07 pm

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
Originally Posted by veganxkitten
I have read several horror stories on the Internet about long stays and I just wanted some advice about border control.
Yes! You'll be forced to eat a pot of Marmite in less than 30 seconds to proof your friendly intentions. Just kidding. Don't give them red flags (e.g. What's your purpose of your visit: "Vacation + Visiting friends" rather than "living with my boyfriend").

..., but I know this time will be different.
What makes you think that?
Old Oct 25, 2016, 1:52 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by WorldLux
Yes! You'll be forced to eat a pot of Marmite in less than 30 seconds to proof your friendly intentions. Just kidding. Don't give them red flags (e.g. What's your purpose of your visit: "Vacation + Visiting friends" rather than "living with my boyfriend").

What makes you think that?
Because last time I was only there for 9 days and I was employed, so i know they will likely question me more, I just want to be prepared!
Old Oct 25, 2016, 2:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
You will have to start calling "the holidays", "Christmas" otherwise you will be denied entry!

The only thing they might ask is about your relationship with your boyfriend as it is not clear if he lives in the USA with you, or is returning here with you for Christmas, or how the relationship works if it is a long distance relationship. That might be a line they go down and they might even speak to him at the airport (I assume he will be meeting you there).
Old Oct 25, 2016, 2:48 pm

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Platinum, Accor Gold
I have to be very honest and say your reasons for returning to the US don't sound particularly strong. You're leaving your pets for 3 months so no reason why you couldn't leave them indefinitely. Or just move them to the UK when you're settled. Just like having to go back in 3 months because you're babysitting sounds very weak. Who's doing the babysitting while you're away and why couldn't they continue doing it (if you stay in the UK)? Sorry, I'm not being horrible but it really doesn't sound like you have strong ties to go back to (that's how an Immigration Officer may see it, sorry).

Can't you come up with some stronger evidence of intending to go back? Are you actually intending to go back? Is your boyfriend planning to visit you in the US? (maybe evidence of booked flights might help?) Could you sign up for a college course in the US?

As an aside, I'm not sure showing your boyfriend's bank statements and employment contract (unless he works/lives in the US and is just visiting his family in the UK with you) will help. If he lives and works in the UK, by showing he can support you financially, you're actually supporting the suspicion that you might be planning to stay in the UK!
Old Oct 25, 2016, 3:39 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
UK Border Agency are looking for your ties to the USA. If you don't have anything much to return there for, they may well be concerned.

Showing you have your own funds is very wise.

Do you have any plans in the USA? Job offer to return to, university course to start? That would help you. Be able to articulate a future that is not in the UK.

Frankly in your situation I would expect to have some additional questions asked. If so, don't panic, remain brief, calm, and polite in your conversation, and be prepared for a long wait (bring a book). Try not to give up your phone, which you should have fully charged (external power pack is useful for charging it after the flight).

(Do not, as a friend of mine once did, show up in the UK for your 80-day stay with luggage containing a copy of a letter sent to some friends in the USA declaring your intention to travel to the UK and remain there with your true love. She was turned away.)

Also, do not be tempted to overstay, that will only go badly.
Old Oct 25, 2016, 4:00 pm
Original Poster

The thing is I have absolutely zero intention of overstaying, all I can do is stay for the amount of time I have booked, because I do have a lot of family and I qamt to peruse finding a job in the US. Just trying to find a job 3 months in advance is very difficult,
Old Oct 26, 2016, 2:16 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
Unfortunately UK Border Agency are increasingly suspicious these days, hence our suggestions here. I can understand it may be hard to find a job with a start date 3 months away, but it may help you to have a coherent plan of what you will do; what sort of business or trade you plan to engage in, and so on.

Good luck, and don't panic.
Old Oct 26, 2016, 6:43 am

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
Because last time I was only there for 9 days and I was employed, so i know they will likely question me more, ...
Again. What makes you think that they'll question your intentions upon entry? Simply being young and unemployed isn't usually going to get you deported. Otherwise I would've been deported a lot, when I travel the world when I was still young and a university student.

I just want to be prepared!
Answer the question truthfully, briefly and calmly. Don't try to overcomplicate the answer and make minute long explanation (unless you're specifically asked to so, of course).

E.G. "What is the purpose of your stay? "Vacation", "Tourism" are perfectly fine answers. The officer doesn't want to hear your life story (unless he expressly ask so).

And for heaven's sake, don't lie. Most people can't lie and lying to an immigration officer will escalate things, if they catch you lying.
Old Oct 26, 2016, 7:34 am

Programs: BA Silver, VS Red, OZ Silver
Something else to bear in mind is many immigration officers are listening for evidence that you're telling the truth as well as the content of what you're saying.

My employment/life history is incredibly unusual for my age, and I've given answers to immigration officers that sound completely implausible, but they've not batted an eyelid, which, I assume, is because they could tell I wasn't lying. I also recently entered Canada as someone 'recently unemployed'. CBSA officer wasn't pleased about that but I still got through the primary line in less than a minute.

Tell the truth, but tell it concisely.
Old Oct 26, 2016, 7:49 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by WorldLux
Again. What makes you think that they'll question your intentions upon entry? Simply being young and unemployed isn't usually going to get you deported. Otherwise I would've been deported a lot, when I travel the world when I was still young and a university student.

Answer the question truthfully, briefly and calmly. Don't try to overcomplicate the answer and make minute long explanation (unless you're specifically asked to so, of course).

E.G. "What is the purpose of your stay? "Vacation", "Tourism" are perfectly fine answers. The officer doesn't want to hear your life story (unless he expressly ask so).

And for heaven's sake, don't lie. Most people can't lie and lying to an immigration officer will escalate things, if they catch you lying.
Thanks for the reply, I have just read a lot of horror stories on the Internet about people in similar situations to me, and it has scared me a lot but I have to remember I am in a different circumstance to them. And yes i know I definitely can't lie about anything in the slightest. The simple trutb is that I just recently left my job to peruse finding a better retail job in the US, but while I'm still searching and waiting to hear back from the places I applied I want to spend the holidays with my boyfriend, I just don't know how to properly articulate that to border control if i have to
Old Oct 26, 2016, 8:16 am

Programs: Amex Plat, AA, BA Silver, Marriott Plat, Choice Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Diamond
Thanks for the reply, I have just read a lot of horror stories on the Internet about people in similar situations to me, and it has scared me a lot but I have to remember I am in a different circumstance to them. And yes i know I definitely can't lie about anything in the slightest. The simple trutb is that I just recently left my job to peruse finding a better retail job in the US, but while I'm still searching and waiting to hear back from the places I applied I want to spend the holidays with my boyfriend, I just don't know how to properly articulate that to border control if i have to
I like "I'm on vacation" with "I had some downtime in between jobs so I decided to visit some friends in the UK before I go back home to start work again" as an explanation if requested.

Border control is mostly interested in making sure that you have every intention of returning home after your visit. I spent six weeks in the UK in the summer of 2014, and I don't remember any red flags being raised when I entered as a result of the length of my stay because I had definite intentions--mostly demonstrated through an already purchased return ticket--to return to the US.

Your trip is longer than mine and you're younger than I am, but I still think if you follow the basic precepts of giving direct answers to the questions asked, staying truthful, and showing your intent to return to the US at the end of your extended stay, you'll be fine. Otherwise, how would all of those foreign exchange students ever get to spend a semester at one of the UK's fine institutions of higher learning?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.