Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > U.K. and Ireland
Reload this Page >

Heathrow runway decision to be made next week

Old Oct 18, 2016, 10:09 am
Original Poster

The Government are set to make a decision on the expansion of Heathrow Airport by the end of the month, Downing Street have said.
Old Oct 18, 2016, 10:10 am
Original Poster

I DON'T BELIEVE IT

They've changed their minds and now it's next winter.
Old Oct 18, 2016, 2:42 pm

Originally Posted by alanR
I DON'T BELIEVE IT

They've changed their minds and now it's next winter.
I assume you're referring to the line in the report that states "MPs will not get to vote on the decision for at least another year"...?

If so, next week is the Government's decision, not Parliament's decision. The former however won't proceed if it thinks the latter won't carry it.
Old Oct 20, 2016, 6:13 am

They may as well have said Heathrow instead of this announcement. By the very fact they've said that Cabinet members will be allowed to voice their own opinions and not necessarily support the overall decision, which they usually must do as part of Cabinet collective responsibility, it can only be Heathrow. None of the Cabinet are opposed to Gatwick, but we know Boris and Justine Greening are both strongly opposed to Heathrow.

Why on earth they think kicking this out a week will make a difference. Maybe the Witney by-election taking place today. Just more dithering. Yes it's a decision that not everyone will like, but that's why you're elected into Government.
Old Oct 20, 2016, 8:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Without going into OMNI territory Boris has had to tone down his opposition as many of his constituents work at LHR or in one of the supporting businesses so he has to be careful.

He certainly swore off his island lair during the Constituency selection process!
Old Oct 25, 2016, 3:57 am
formerly known as ravishah

Looks like expansion at Heathrow as been approved by the sub-committee - sad for me as it moves a flight path over my house if it goes ahead as planned.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.