Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Central London ... by car?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 14, 2016, 7:21 am
Original Poster

Central London ... by car?

I've got two full days in central LON coming up, Docklands on day 1, Soho day 2.

I'll have a rental car

Just to make this interesting, at the end of day 2 it looks like I'll be driving up to Birmingham.

Q: Where should I leave my car? (The comedians who instantly suggest "Birmingham" can go to the back of the class)

At the moment the only idea I could come up with is to leave it at LHR and get back to it from Paddington on the HEX, then enjoy a sedate crawl round the M25 to the M40 ? Any better ideas?
Old Oct 14, 2016, 7:34 am

Originally Posted by shorthauldad
I've got two full days in central LON coming up, Docklands on day 1, Soho day 2.

I'll have a rental car

Just to make this interesting, at the end of day 2 it looks like I'll be driving up to Birmingham.

Q: Where should I leave my car? (The comedians who instantly suggest "Birmingham" can go to the back of the class)

At the moment the only idea I could come up with is to leave it at LHR and get back to it from Paddington on the HEX, then enjoy a sedate crawl round the M25 to the M40 ? Any better ideas?
If you are really stuck with the car, I'd probably suggest staying at a hotel in an outer neighborhood somewhere in West London, leave the car parked and take the public transportation back and forth to the city for two days. When you're ready to drive to Birmingham you won't have to deal with London traffic.
Old Oct 14, 2016, 7:34 am

Programs: NZ Silver; BA blue; Velocity red; Qantas Silver
Why do you need a car in central London? It's expensive to park and traffic is horrendous. Public transport /taxis are much cheaper and less stressful.
Old Oct 14, 2016, 7:35 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
What are the timings and days of the week? And is it M40-accessible Birmingham, or would M1/M6 work as well?

There's a variety of options - including keeping it in the centre (it's not always horrendous, depending).
Old Oct 14, 2016, 7:47 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the prompt responses.

Originally Posted by Cappuccino
Why do you need a car in central London? It's expensive to park and traffic is horrendous. Public transport /taxis are much cheaper and less stressful.
I don't need the car in central LON, I'll need the car beforehand and afterwards.

Originally Posted by VivoPerLei
If you are really stuck with the car, I'd probably suggest staying at a hotel in an outer neighborhood somewhere in West London, leave the car parked and take the public transportation back and forth to the city for two days. When you're ready to drive to Birmingham you won't have to deal with London traffic.
OK. Any concrete suggestions of where? I tend to use public transport in LON (see above!)

I know a couple of hotels at/near LHR that would let me leave the car with them for free.

Originally Posted by stut
What are the timings and days of the week?
As it stands, a Thursday and a Friday. Meeting currently planned to finish at 5pm on the Friday.

And is it M40-accessible Birmingham, or would M1/M6 work as well?
It's sufficiently central that M1-M6 would be fine too.

There's a variety of options - including keeping it in the centre (it's not always horrendous, depending).
How bad is Soho > Birmingham going to be at 5.30pm on a Friday? EDIT: or Soho-(public transport)-X, pick up car at X, then drive X-Birmingham? X being outside the congestion zone might be an advantage...
Old Oct 14, 2016, 8:01 am
Suspended

Programs: AA, BAEC, Alaska, Flying Blue, United, IHG, Hilton
Holiday Inn Express Golders Green is very near the bottom of the M1, and has free parking and good transport links.
Old Oct 14, 2016, 8:02 am

Thanks for the prompt responses.

I don't need the car in central LON, I'll need the car beforehand and afterwards.

OK. Any concrete suggestions of where? I tend to use public transport in LON (see above!)

I know a couple of hotels at/near LHR that would let me leave the car with them for free.
I can suggest one that I'm familiar with - the Premier Inn, West Ruislip. Located in a residential neighborhood near the western terminus of the Central Line (10 to 15 minutes walk), 20 minutes drive from LHR, and about 15 minutes drive to the M25. Big caveat - I have not stayed there, so cannot give a personal recommendation. They do have a big parking lot though and it's usually empty. Another caveat - traffic on the nearby Ickenham Road can be horrendous, depending on the time of day.

I am sure there are multitudes of similarly located hotels in NW London, but I just happen to be familiar with this one.
Old Oct 14, 2016, 8:10 am

How bad is Soho > Birmingham going to be at 5.30pm on a Friday? EDIT: or Soho-(public transport)-X, pick up car at X, then drive X-Birmingham? X being outside the congestion zone might be an advantage...
Soho-Birmingham will be horrendous. Sorry

You could take the Central Line from Tottenham Court Road or Oxford Circus up to anywhere on the West Ruislip branch. This follows the A40, which isn't too bad past Hanger Lane (do not try to negotiate Hanger Lane gyratory!) Several stations do have car parks, including Perivale and South Ruislip, for £4 a day.

The Central Line will be horrible until you're outside zone 1, then it'll settle down a bit.
Old Oct 14, 2016, 8:19 am

Alternatively, Edgware is at the end of the Northern Line (so direct from Tottenham Court Road and Leicester Square) and also has £4/day parking in the long stay section of the Broadwalk Centre car park. You can easily get from there on to the M1. That's probably easier to get to from the Docklands. The Northern Line will be rammed, but you'll get a seat at Euston. Make sure you choose the right branch.

Both M1 and M40 will have really bad sections - M1 round Luton/MK and M40 round Oxford.

Is there really no way you could get the train to Birmingham and pick up a car from there?
Old Oct 14, 2016, 8:31 am

Final thought - if you're approaching London from somewhere like Birmingham in the first instance, is to leave it at a station that is well clear of London (but with a fast service) that is going to give you a good headstart heading north - like Bicester or Milton Keynes.
Old Oct 14, 2016, 8:53 am

Final thought - if you're approaching London from somewhere like Birmingham in the first instance, is to leave it at a station that is well clear of London (but with a fast service) that is going to give you a good headstart heading north - like Bicester or Milton Keynes.
Or somewhere a bit nearer in. As well as Edgware mentioned above there's also Stanmore (Jubilee line) or Bushey or Watford Junction both on the very quick London Midland line to Euston. All are near the M1.

Really depends where you're driving from initially?
Old Oct 14, 2016, 9:23 am

If the OP wanted to park somewhere closer in, I'd suggest the Westfield London shopping centre at White City/Shepherd's Bush. Current price for up to 24 hours parking is £8. It is near the A40.

Re the Hangar Lane gyratory mentioned earlier by Stut - just to be clear, traffic staying on the A40 (as the OP would be) avoids having to negotiate this as it uses an underpass underneath the mayhem above!
Old Oct 14, 2016, 12:24 pm

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Platinum, Accor Gold
OP is this a rental car or a borrowed car or what exactly? Where are you coming from prior to London?

Without knowing the answers to these questions it's difficult to give advice other than avoid central London in a car and definitely don't try and drive out of London at 5pm on a Fri to Birmingham (unless you like sitting in a car park for 5 hours).

If you're staying in Docklands for day 1, I'd suggest leaving the car there for day 2 and driving to Birmingham on Sat morning rather than Fri evening. But it really depends on what the OP's plans are etc etc. I'd actually suggest abandoning the car altogether and getting the train to Birmingham. It will be much quicker!

(Note: I live in central London and drive 4-5 days a week....unless it's before 7am or after 10pm, it's unpleasant and slow and to be avoided unless you have no choice like me!)
Old Oct 14, 2016, 12:50 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the continued suggestions.

Originally Posted by Mizter T
If the OP wanted to park somewhere closer in, I'd suggest the Westfield London shopping centre at White City/Shepherd's Bush. Current price for up to 24 hours parking is £8. It is near the A40.
Hmm, that's not a bad idea. By the time I get out there the traffic might have calmed down a bit (just checked now, Westfield - central Birmingham is showing as 2h13 with current traffic as opposed to 1h57 with no traffic). EDIT: Tottenham Court Road - Shepherd's Bush appears to be <15 mins on the Central line. I like it!

Originally Posted by Ldnn1
Really depends where you're driving from initially?
Originally Posted by bibbju
OP is this a rental car or a borrowed car or what exactly? Where are you coming from prior to London?
Rental car. I'll be in Cambridge the day before. Guess I could just about drive Cambridge - Milton Keynes, park the car, get the train to Euston, get out to Docklands, then get back to MK the following evening to pick up the car.

I'd suggest leaving the car there for day 2 and driving to Birmingham on Sat morning rather than Fri evening
Sadly that won't work, need to be *in* Birmingham early on the Sat, which would mean leaving London in the middle of the night. (The roads would be great, however, I've done the Birmingham-LHR drive several times setting off at 4am and the M40 is lovely at that time of day )

I'd actually suggest abandoning the car altogether and getting the train to Birmingham. It will be much quicker!
Take the point but I have some equipment which will be in the car, and if I ditch the car, I need to lug that round central London for 2 days, which doesn't really appeal

Maybe I'll just go and have dinner after I finish up in Soho and delay my departure by a couple of hours. Judging by current traffic (~7.30pm on a Friday) driving from LON to Birmingham would be "reasonable" right now... ?
Old Oct 14, 2016, 6:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Still be 3 hours at 7:30pm on a Friday. Personally I would go with the MK option as the train service is very good and covers a good amount of distance very quickly.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.