Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > U.K. and Ireland
Reload this Page >

LGW short stay parking - south for north terminal (BA)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 26, 2016, 11:27 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon

I'm flying on BA from LGW next week (so from the North terminal) and the North short stay parking is significantly (3 times) more expensive than the South short stay parking. I am guessing it will take me only a few minutes longer to walk into the South Terminal and take the train to North Terminal (about 5, certainly less than 10) compared to walking from North short stay into North Terminal.

Can any Gatwick regulars comment if that is so?

It seems worth an extra 5 minutes to save over 100 quid.
Old Sep 26, 2016, 11:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, BA Silver, Accor Silver
Yeah, I would say 5-10 minutes, obviously depending on the unknown factor of how close you could have parked to the North terminal.

You want to aim for the second or third block of the car park, and I think the cross over to the terminal is on level 2 (it's where the premium parking is).
Old Sep 26, 2016, 12:58 pm

Originally Posted by Swiss Tony
You want to aim for the second or third block of the car park, and I think the cross over to the terminal is on level 2 (it's where the premium parking is).
The short-stay car park blocks (there are three of them) all have colours as well as being numbered - car park 1 is Blue, 2 is Red and 3 is Orange. Like Swiss Tony says, avoid the first one (Blue).

Worthwhile doing I'd say to save a ton!
Old Sep 27, 2016, 12:44 pm
Original Poster

Thanks to both Swiss Tony and Mizter T! Now you mention it I do recall the short stay blue block looking a lot further away from the terminal than the others when I last went to Gatwick so thanks for the reminder about that.

It was about £65 for 4 days in the South short stay and £175 for 4 days in the North - quite a difference!

Old Oct 6, 2016, 4:27 pm
Original Poster

This worked well. It took me about 6 minutes to get from the South short stay red car park lift entrance to the North terminal entrance, with no wait for a transit train. So additional time of 5-10 minutes seems about right, if you can walk at a decent pace. I recommend this for anyone else wanting to park like this.

Having barely used LGW for many years, I now have another trip from there in a couple of weeks, and the same parking price disparity prevails, so I am booking the South short stay again. On this occasion the airline (Norwegian) leaves from the South terminal, but I would not book the North short stay ever.
Old Oct 6, 2016, 5:41 pm

Originally Posted by flatlander
[..]
Having barely used LGW for many years, I now have another trip from there in a couple of weeks, and the same parking price disparity prevails, so I am booking the South short stay again. On this occasion the airline (Norwegian) leaves from the South terminal, but I would not book the North short stay ever.
Though Gatwick's pricing strategies for their car parks may change come January 2017 when BA moves to the South Terminal and easyJet consolidates all their flights at the North Terminal.
Old Oct 7, 2016, 2:16 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Mizter T
Though Gatwick's pricing strategies for their car parks may change come January 2017 when BA moves to the South Terminal and easyJet consolidates all their flights at the North Terminal.
Definitely possible

However at the moment the LGW South short stay parking cost is somewhere near the STN and even LHR cost for off-peak few-days booked-ahead, while the North short stay is off the scale. STN ain't cheap these days, by the way

Is the North parking currently somewhat restricted in capacity due to works - I thought I heard something about this recently?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.