Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hotel Advice for London w/family

Search this Thread

Old Sep 19, 2016, 11:10 am
Original Poster

Hotel Advice for London w/family

This vacation is turning into a nightmare. Someone please help us figure out some details.

(First 2 weeks of our vacation will be in Ireland, which I almost have figured out.) The problem now is that our family will be traveling from Edinburgh to Liverpool to London. (Flying out of Gatwick)

My understanding from things I've read on here is that when we fly into Edinburgh, we shouldn't get a car...just enjoy the 2 nights using public transportation or the on/off bus and then rent a car when it's time to drive to Liverpool and to London. Looking at parking rates in London makes it seem like we should immediately dump the car at that point. We will be spending 3 nights/4 days in London before flying out of Gatwick.

Ok, some questions that I'm hoping people can help with. Are there hotels that will take us to the Gatwick Airport? How do we get around London after we drop off the car? We just want to see whatever tourists usually see. Where is the best area of town to stay so that we can travel each day to see different sites? Do you know of any hotels that offer shuttle service to Gatwick?

We are just used to hopping in a car and going someplace. I've never been in a subway, train, etc. so I feel like I'm in a tornado right now. TY

Update: Ok, I think we are supposed to take the train from Victoria Station to Gatwick (Cost should be around $75 for the family). I'm guessing we should just stay somewhere near Victoria and hope that there is public transport that can take us around to the tourist sites?

Last edited by TravelingNomads; Sep 19, 2016 at 11:27 am
Old Sep 19, 2016, 11:39 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
We don't really do shuttle services here - partly because of public transport, and partly because, well, they just take too long.

The good news is that you can get to Gatwick from multiple London stations direct: Victoria, Blackfriars, City Thameslink, Farringdon, St Pancras. So you're always within easy reach of a train to Gatwick. And they're very regular. There's several train services too - you don't have to get the expensive Gatwick Express one.

You should definitely dump your car when you get to London. Not only is it expensive and difficult to park, it's slow going to get around as well. London has a massively comprehensive public transport network of buses, trains, the Tube, a light rail and even some trams (not to mention river buses and a cable car). And it's a surprisingly walkable city, too. You can get around 24/7 by public transport without a problem.

Victoria isn't too bad an area. It's OK, a little mediocre. Do you have a list of sites you'd like to see?

Getting around London is really easy. There are all sorts of apps to help. And you can get smart cards (Oyster cards) or just use contactless credit cards, to pay for the fares. The buses are a great way to get around - sit upstairs and you've got a great view (they announce the stops, too, and the maps in the bus stops are simple to use).

This page is a good start:

https://tfl.gov.uk/travel-informatio...-around-london
Old Sep 19, 2016, 11:48 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by stut

Thank you! What are your thoughts on a 3 day London pass? If so, should we pay extra for the oyster card? I'm confused b/c someone on trip advisor is saying:

"If there are two or more of you visiting London, an alternative to the London Pass is the 2-4-1 offers from the national rail companies. This requires that you have a paper travel card and that it be issued at a national rail station ticket office. General opinion is that 2-4-1 provides better savings than LP."

There are 5 of us traveling. At this point, I think we just expect to visit the typical museums, churches, momuments, palaces, etc.
Old Sep 19, 2016, 11:57 am

I'd have a look at what you want to do first.

If it's things like look at the Houses of Parliament, visit the British and Natural History Museums, the Tate Modern, Museum of London, etc, you may find that the London Pass isn't much use - a lot of attractions are free.

The 2-for-1 is good - principally for the Tower of London and the London Eye (although it doesn't allow you to book the latter).

I think it's just a case of doing the sums, based on what you want to visit. Personally, I rarely visit paid attractions when I go to London (but then I've been to St Paul's and the Tower more than once...)
Old Sep 19, 2016, 1:52 pm

In all honesty I suggest investing a few bucks in a guidebook like the Lonely Planet. It sounds like you need to get a firmer idea of what there is and what you actually want to do in London - guidebooks are great for providing this kind of inspiration as well as setting out the basics on orientation, transport etc.

This board is then really great at giving more specific advice on your plans, but it is worth building up an outline first I'd say.
Old Sep 19, 2016, 2:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Ldnn1
In all honesty I suggest investing a few bucks in a guidebook like the Lonely Planet. It sounds like you need to get a firmer idea of what there is and what you actually want to do in London - guidebooks are great for providing this kind of inspiration as well as setting out the basics on orientation, transport etc.

This board is then really great at giving more specific advice on your plans, but it is worth building up an outline first I'd say.
Agree - London has world class public transport not to mention my tourist orientated options like the hop on hop off bus.

Personally I am still boggling at someone who has never used a subway/metro or train. London will be eye-opening!
Old Sep 19, 2016, 4:24 pm

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
@OP: Get yourself an oyster card.

You can reach any spot in London with public transport and a bit of walking. It's far quicker and more comfortable than traveling by car (that has to be fueled, driven and parked by yourself).

---
Originally Posted by Swanhunter
Personally I am still boggling at someone who has never used a subway/metro or train. London will be eye-opening!
If you grew up in a town in the US, you'll probably never had to use public transportation, as there's a) plenty of free parking spots, b) large roads and c) cheap petrol. Even driving in larger cities in the US is a piece of cake. I've paid 1$ in parking and 25$ in petrol for driving a large SUV for 4 days all around Las Vegas. I wouldn't get far in London. Most Europeans don't use public transportation by choice. The car's slower, usually more stressful (during rush hours) and costs a lot more.

Last edited by WorldLux; Sep 19, 2016 at 4:36 pm
Old Sep 19, 2016, 9:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Exp|VA Platinum
Originally Posted by flwrlover1

We are just used to hopping in a car and going someplace. I've never been in a subway, train, etc. so I feel like I'm in a tornado right now. TY
Don't worry. Once you get to London you'll see why a car makes no sense. The public transport is just so easy. London isn't an easy city to drive around. It doesn't have wide streets, and it's not laid out in a grid.
Old Sep 19, 2016, 9:13 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Get a hotel in central London. Don't think of staying in a LGW airport hotel for several days.

Are you sure you wan't to rent a car and drive at all on this trip? Driving conventions are different, starting with everyone driving on the wrong side of the road. Cheaper rental vehicles are likely to have manual transmissions, or stick shifts, and not the power accessories such as power steering, power brakes, and power windows that are common on USA cars.
Old Sep 19, 2016, 9:41 pm

Let me suggest you get a Copy of one of Rick Steves' guidebooks for either Great Britain, England or London. Then go over to his website www.ricksteves.com

That sight has a forum like this but it specializes in trips to Europe. You will find lots of tips on how to save money, see the sights, etc.

Let me also say that a car in London would be a disaster and you might think of taking the trains between cities rather than drive. The trains there are not like the ones here. They are fast, efficient and relaxing. The train network is extensive.
Old Sep 20, 2016, 3:15 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Get a hotel in central London. Don't think of staying in a LGW airport hotel for several days.

Are you sure you wan't to rent a car and drive at all on this trip? Driving conventions are different, starting with everyone driving on the wrong side of the road. Cheaper rental vehicles are likely to have manual transmissions, or stick shifts, and not the power accessories such as power steering, power brakes, and power windows that are common on USA cars.
Personally, we'd prefer a train from Edinburgh to London, but when we checked, it was @ $150 pp x 5 people, so driving a car seemed to be the better option, albeit longer. We thought that since we had to drive that we'd stop in and see some Beatles history. If you know of a cheaper way to take the train, please share!!

I started doing more research after your comment, but there seems to be multiple train companies. Virgin Train (120 pounds/pp), Trainline, RailEurope, Loco (200 pounds) etc. RailEurope seemed much cheaper at only around $40 pounds/pp... Only 25 pounds if we took a midnight ride which probably won't work. Is there a specific train that you guys would recommend going one way from Edinburgh to London?

Lastly, I'm seeing that the kids can save $ by having a railcard??? It looks like those can only be obtained at a visitor's center. Does Edinburgh sell these?

Last edited by TravelingNomads; Sep 20, 2016 at 3:30 am
Old Sep 20, 2016, 4:23 am

Programs: BAEC GGL, HHonors Diamond, IHG Uninspired, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, UK AMEX Plat
Those aren't train companies, those are ticket selling companies. Basically only three train companies between London and Edinburgh (unless you change loads). Main one is Virgin Trains East Coast, you can get cheap deals if you book an advanced ticket 2-3 months out that's only valid on one specific train. Virgin Trains West Coast mostly go to Glasgow, but have the odd Edinburgh one too, again you need to book an Advanced ticket some way out for very cheap deals. Finally, there's the overnight sleeper train, saves on a night in a hotel but only if you sleep soundly!

You should also look at getting a Family Railcard - http://www.familyandfriends-railcard.co.uk/ - saves you quite a bit on longer journeys provided your kids are of a qualifying age to make your group a "family"
Old Sep 20, 2016, 4:24 am

When are you travelling? The cheap rail fares only kick in 12 weeks before travel.

If you google "family & friends railcard" you'll get the details of the discounts. You can buy at any station - and you don't need the physical card to buy the tickets, only to travel. The discount is due you as well as the kids.
Old Sep 20, 2016, 5:49 am

Programs: BAEC GGL, HHonors Diamond, IHG Uninspired, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, UK AMEX Plat
Also, the Man in Seat 61 has an excellent beginners guide to train travel and train ticketing in the UK, it's well worth a read!
Old Sep 20, 2016, 6:32 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Gagravarr
Also, the Man in Seat 61 has an excellent beginners guide to train travel and train ticketing in the UK, it's well worth a read!

I was just on his website and he mentioned MegaBus... A quick search shows an overnight 8 hr bus ride. Total price for 5 people is only showing 15 pounds which seems insanely cheap. 5 people and that's the total? Crazy.

Megabusgold supposedly has beds and is showing 115 pounds for 5 beds, water/sodas/tea & free breakfast, wifi, etc. Thank you guys for your help with the transportation part. Now to figure out the hotels!

Even crazier...there are 1 1/2 hr flights for only 17 pounds each.

Last edited by TravelingNomads; Sep 20, 2016 at 7:17 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.