Wiki Posts
Search

Leaving and entering with different passports

Search this Thread

Old Sep 12, 2016, 1:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: QR Gold, BA silver
Exclamation Leaving and entering with different passports

Sorry if this is not related to BA at all, I cannot find anywhere more appropriate to ask this question and I am so worried about what's going to happen

So basically, I have dual citizenship with Macau and Australia. Both passports should be visa free for travel to the UK, and I have a tier 4 (student) on my Macau one.

I arrived in London about a week ago with my Australian citizenship and stayed for only 5 days for non-academic purpose. On my way out, I accidentally registered my Macau passport on API and checked in with my Macau passport- the system checked me through so i did not realise.

That means I have technically not left the country and somehow left the country without entering at the same time. Also I need to extend my tier 4 on my Australian passport so I am wondering will I get punished for that, like refusing visa?

I'm currently in Helsinki and I could either run to the embassy or send them an email. What should I do to inform that about my mistake or do I not need to?

Thanks in advance and sorry for the irrelevant 'BA post'

Last edited by TheDinge; Sep 12, 2016 at 2:25 am
Old Sep 12, 2016, 2:03 am

Originally Posted by TheDinge
Sorry if this is not related to BA at all, I cannot find anywhere more appropriate to ask this question and I am so worried about what's going to happen
UK & Ireland Forum.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/u-k-ireland-484/

It would be easy to guess at an answer but ideal if you could find someone who has been there before.

It happened to me in Dubai last year with two UK passports (one expired when there) and it took me an hour at the security office to sort out.
Old Sep 12, 2016, 2:11 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
It happens all the time, the number of dual nationals is huge, and broadly speaking so long as you haven't broken any of the terms of your admission into the UK you are OK. UK dual nationals typically arrive on the UK passport and then leave on their other passport if returning to that state (I accept that is a totally different scenario to you). I would, however, retain for a long time (7 years) proof of your entry and departure from the UK, and any proof of your activities in the UK during the week (e.g. hotel bills, credit card bills showing where you've been), though that's very much "just in case" and in respect of say any Indefinite Leave application or taxation issue. The UK isn't well placed to track people leaving the country at the moment. I wouldn't make a habit of it, but it's not the end of the world.
Old Sep 12, 2016, 2:14 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, HHonors Gold
---deleted---, better advice upthread
Old Sep 12, 2016, 2:21 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
It happens all the time, the number of dual nationals is huge, and broadly speaking so long as you haven't broken any of the terms of your admission into the UK you are OK. UK dual nationals typically arrive on the UK passport and then leave on their other passport if returning to that state (I accept that is a totally different scenario to you). I would, however, retain for a long time (7 years) proof of your entry and departure from the UK, and any proof of your activities in the UK during the week (e.g. hotel bills, credit card bills showing where you've been), though that's very much "just in case" and in respect of say any Indefinite Leave application or taxation issue. The UK isn't well placed to track people leaving the country at the moment. I wouldn't make a habit of it, but it's not the end of the world.
Thanks for your advice! So are you suggesting me to do nothing for now but prepare to explain if anyone asks? I don't think I have broken any law now but potentially I will have over-stayed as an Australian visitor.
Old Sep 12, 2016, 4:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
I used to be a dual US and UK citizen. I always arrived on my UK passport and departed to the US on my US passport (I had to because of the US requirements). Certainly no flag ever seemed to come up along the lines of how can you be returning when you never left. It never caused any issues but, of course, I wasn't subject to length of stay restrictions. Nobody from Border Force checks passports on the way out and, as I understand it, there are no regular departure checks. Having said that, I have no idea if airlines are required to hand passport information on departing customers to Border Force, and if their computers are busy matching up all the data behind the scenes. Knowing their level of competence, I somehow doubt it, but keeping details of your departing flight might be a wise precaution just in case.
Old Sep 12, 2016, 5:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by lhrsfo
...]Nobody from Border Force checks passports on the way out and, as I understand it, there are no regular departure checks. Having said that, I have no idea if airlines are required to hand passport information on departing customers to Border Force and if their computers are busy matching up all the data behind the scenes...

Yes the airlines do provide data to Border Force / Home Officer as per exit check fact sheet
Old Sep 12, 2016, 6:06 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
I used to be a dual US and UK citizen. I always arrived on my UK passport and departed to the US on my US passport (I had to because of the US requirements). Certainly no flag ever seemed to come up along the lines of how can you be returning when you never left. It never caused any issues but, of course, I wasn't subject to length of stay restrictions. Nobody from Border Force checks passports on the way out and, as I understand it, there are no regular departure checks. Having said that, I have no idea if airlines are required to hand passport information on departing customers to Border Force, and if their computers are busy matching up all the data behind the scenes. Knowing their level of competence, I somehow doubt it, but keeping details of your departing flight might be a wise precaution just in case.
Departing pax manifest and API are amongst that which gets into their hands and is subject to some processing.
Old Sep 13, 2016, 11:05 am

Programs: Seniors Bus Pass
Good advice upthread about keeping records in case you are ever queried on your next trip.

Actually it can easily happen. For example, you land at LHR then go over the land border from NI to Dublin - where there are no passport checks. You then return home from DUB. It would look as if you never left UK, although when you arrive in the UK next time they will realise you had left but the retained documents would establish that you had not overstayed.

Hope that helps.
Old Sep 13, 2016, 3:02 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by antichef
Good advice upthread about keeping records in case you are ever queried on your next trip.

Actually it can easily happen. For example, you land at LHR then go over the land border from NI to Dublin - where there are no passport checks. You then return home from DUB. It would look as if you never left UK, although when you arrive in the UK next time they will realise you had left but the retained documents would establish that you had not overstayed.

Hope that helps.
That's so assuring! Thank you so much
Old Sep 13, 2016, 8:14 pm
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
Originally Posted by TheDinge
I have a tier 4 (student) on my Macau one.

Also I need to extend my tier 4 on my Australian passport
Is this correct?

As long as your Tier 4 visa is valid, you can't overstay in the UK.

For your own peace of mind use the Macau passport to enter the UK and the next time you leave (as long as it's within 6 months) get the Australian passport details submitted to eBorders via your airline/ferry/Eurostar/Eurotunnel

If you intend to stay in the UK long-term you should be keeping all your travel history anyway. If you ever qualify and apply for a UK passport you will have to submit both Macanese and Australian passports (provided they are still in date) at least with the first application.

Nobody from Border Force checks passports on the way out
Not true, it happens often in LHR T3, and occasionally in MAN, most commonly for flights to destinations outside the EU

computers are busy matching up all the data behind the scenes.
They don't necessarily match data all the time but are likely to do so when one is applying for a visa renewal by post and/or there are concerns about the application.
Old Sep 13, 2016, 11:53 pm

Originally Posted by :D!
Is this correct?

As long as your Tier 4 visa is valid, you can't overstay in the UK.

For your own peace of mind use the Macau passport to enter the UK and the next time you leave (as long as it's within 6 months) get the Australian passport details submitted to eBorders via your airline/ferry/Eurostar/Eurotunnel
The "eBorders" name is no longer used by the UK government - instead "exit checks" is the terminology now in use (Telegraph article).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.