Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > U.K. and Ireland
Reload this Page >

LH to BA transfer at DUB – how much time?

LH to BA transfer at DUB – how much time?

Old Sep 11, 2016, 8:42 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA XPlat
Any idea how much time to budget if arriving at DUB on a non-AA/OW carrier?

I'm looking at flying from FRA-DUB on LH arriving 11:05, and then departing on a separate itinerary DUB-LHR on BA at 12:55, then LHR-JFK at 17:15

I won't do pre-clearance in DUB will I? I'll just have to do regular security before flying to LHR and then additional security at LHR (and then CPB after deplane in JFK). Correct?
Old Sep 11, 2016, 11:39 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maξtre-plongeur des Muccis
As you aren't departing DUB for the USA you will not have pre-clearance. Your path through formalities is pretty much as you posted.

You have to ask yourself if two hours is sufficient time to connect, allowing for separate PNRs and possibly experiencing delays and having to possibly retrieve baggage from LH and checking it with BA.

As this has to do with Dublin International Airport and not at all with AA, we'll move it to the proper forum for input. /Moderator
Old Sep 12, 2016, 12:29 am

I would say you'll miss your DUB-LHR flight as you'll go through immigration, baggage collection, customs, check-in and do security checks on arrival at Dublin.
Old Sep 12, 2016, 1:29 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
This sounds pretty tight to me, especially if there is a delay on the LH flight. OW or not makes no difference.
Old Sep 12, 2016, 1:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
In my experience with DUB, 2 hours should be fine as long as the LH flight arrives on time. The queue for Immigration is normally ok, even for non-EU as, unless the OP is very unlucky, there won't be many non-EU on the LH plane or other planes arriving there. Baggage claim has always been efficient there whenever I've checked a bag, and check in is immediately upstairs.

Of course, doing it without bags but with OLCI would reduce the time required but 1hr 50min should be fine in any event - a comforting thought it the connection is already booked. I have done similar connections in DUB at the end of ex-DUB flights on many occasions and made it in time for the flight an hour earlier.

BUT, if the FRA-DUB flight isn't yet booked then it's vital that such a connection is not booked as the potential loss, should things go awry, is too great.
Old Sep 17, 2016, 1:45 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
It'll work if the LH flight isn't late, but if LH is late you are doomed.

I recommend a longer time between the LH arrival and BA departure.
Old Sep 19, 2016, 6:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
I've done LH FR connections in comfortably less time. I can't see BA being any different: though it certainly helps if you are Gold or J-class in terms of check-in and fast-track security.

But you'll be in a canoe with no paddles if LH is late. Or on strike
Old Sep 20, 2016, 3:15 pm

Programs: BA- blue, BD,DL
Originally Posted by IAN-UK
I've done LH FR connections in comfortably less time. I can't see BA being any different: though it certainly helps if you are Gold or J-class in terms of check-in and fast-track security.

But you'll be in a canoe with no paddles if LH is late. Or on strike
Or if the weathers bad that morning.
Old Sep 20, 2016, 11:58 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BeckhamsTears
Any idea how much time to budget if arriving at DUB on a non-AA/OW carrier?

I'm looking at flying from FRA-DUB on LH arriving 11:05, and then departing on a separate itinerary DUB-LHR on BA at 12:55, then LHR-JFK at 17:15

I won't do pre-clearance in DUB will I? I'll just have to do regular security before flying to LHR and then additional security at LHR (and then CPB after deplane in JFK). Correct?
A bit more info:

I'm AA ExPlat/OW Emerald. I will not have any checked bags, only carry on.
I have requested J-upgrade on LHR-JFK seg.

Barring any unforeseen strike/weather...

Itinerary 1: I arrive on LH978, FRA-DUB, at 11:05 (Terminal 1)
"layover 1:50"
Itinerary 2: I depart on BA835, DUB-LHR, at 12:55 (Terminal 1), arriving 14:30, with LHR-JFK departing 17:15 (2:45 layover)

Since I'm coming from FRA I would go through customs on arrival at DUB, but would I need to leave T1/be rescreened since my BA flight departs there, can't I stay 'airside'?

I plan to do online check-in and get mobile boarding pass for BA flight, thus no reason to go 'landside'.

With LHR-JFK departs at 17:15;
If there was a delay, I could potentially get BA DUB-LHR flights at 13:40-15:05 or 14:40-15:55 to stay on track for my TATL seg.

Insights appreciated.
Old Sep 21, 2016, 2:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
It depends where exactly you land at T1 in DUB. Generally, you land in a place which gives you no access to airside. You are funneled straight into the queue for Immigration, which then spits you out to the baggage reclaim.

Normally, you would then clear Customs on the way to airside. However, at T1, if you go to the far right (as you approach the baggage hall) side of it, there is a Flight Connections channel which is open in the morning only, I believe. It's only very lightly used and, when I tried to use it, they wouldn't let me because I was on a separate ticket - YMMV. In any event, there appears to be security beyond it, so you wouldn't save more than the two minutes walk outside, upstairs and into the normal security channel.

There are a handful of gates at T1 where you exit the plane into the gate area. If you arrive at one of these, and your departing flight is also from one of these, then you are in luck and can just stay there. There is far more info in the Back to Back at DUB thread in the BA Forum.
Old Sep 21, 2016, 8:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lhrsfo
However, at T1, if you go to the far right (as you approach the baggage hall) side of it, there is a Flight Connections channel which is open in the morning only, I believe. It's only very lightly used and, when I tried to use it, they wouldn't let me because I was on a separate ticket - YMMV. In any event, there appears to be security beyond it, so you wouldn't save more than the two minutes walk outside, upstairs and into the normal security channel.
Indeed. Especially as the OP is OWE, he will have access to fast track if going landside. I never bother with the flight connection facility and always go landside and back inside when connecting at DUB T1.

There are a handful of gates at T1 where you exit the plane into the gate area. If you arrive at one of these, and your departing flight is also from one of these, then you are in luck and can just stay there. There is far more info in the Back to Back at DUB thread in the BA Forum.
Excellent advice. there are several threads that touch upon the issue of connecting or back-to-backing at DUB on the BA forum but the generic wiki thread on back to backs is probably a good place for info.
Old Sep 26, 2016, 10:06 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
If there was a delay, I could potentially get BA DUB-LHR flights at 13:40-15:05 or 14:40-15:55 to stay on track for my TATL seg.

Insights appreciated.
I think the advice remains the same. You are on two separate tickets, so you are not protected if you do not board your first BA flight (for whatever reason). So, if the LH flight is significantly delayed and you miss, or are in danger of missing, your BA flight DUB-LHR, you cannot simply assume that BA will rebook you to a later flight to LHR. They'll just assume that you've decided not to travel and cancel the whole ticket. (Actually they won't assume anything, the computer will auto-cancel it.) You also cannot call BA from FRA and ask to be put on a later flight. BA (and most European airlines) doesn't do stand-by flying (well, you can of course call, but expect the answer to be 'no'.)

Bottom line: if you do not make it to the first BA flight, you will be up the creek with only a small paddle.

Over on the BA board there is a long moan going on initiated by someone who left himself six hours AMS to do something similar with BA and QR. His flight to AMS was delayed by six hours and the QR flight of course left without him. At least they've kindly offered to rebook him in Y (from J) for an extra £300, which they didn't have to do. The OP there is not happy and unwilling to accept that no one owes him anything beyond EC261.

With separate tickets you really to to buy into caveat emptor.
Old Oct 17, 2016, 5:37 am
Original Poster

A bit more info:

Itinerary 1: I arrive on LH978, FRA-DUB, at 11:05 (T1)
"layover 1:50"
Itinerary 2: I depart on BA835, DUB-LHR, at 12:55 (T1)

Since I'm coming from FRA I would go through customs on arrival at DUB, but would I need to leave T1/be rescreened since my BA flight departs there, can't I stay 'airside'?

I plan to do online check-in and get mobile boarding pass for BA flight, thus no reason to go 'landside'.
Currently in the middle of the itinerary listed above and wanted to report my experience:

Scheduled arrival in DUB 1105a
15 min ground delay from FRA
Actual deplaning DUB 1130a

Followed signs down for bag claim/flight connections
Went through passport check, short line for EU and non EU (took around 5 min).

Continue toward baggage claim
Once one baggage claim level, turn right and go to the end, then up one level of escalator.
Showed boarding pass, then entered security screening line (was immediately pulling laptop/liquids out, no line)

Completed security screening and gathered myself.
Time was 1148a.
Had time to stop in the executive club while waiting for my gate to be revealed.

Time allotted to complete deplaning to gate for next flight:
Original schedule 1:50
Actual time after delay 1:25
Time needed 0:20

If attemptingthis in the future at DUB:
*remember to allow +15 minutes for walking to gate
**Dublin has US preclearance which can add substantial amount of time if traveling direct to US

I felt fortunate to experience short lines for passport and security screening, and I do not know how common these wait times are.

Frequent flyer status did not help me in any way.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.