Reload this Page >

Scotland vs Ireland for road trip

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Scotland vs Ireland for road trip

Search this Thread

Old Sep 7, 2016, 10:50 am

Programs: Amex Plat, AA, BA Silver, Marriott Plat, Choice Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Diamond
I've done a half dozen trips to each country, and the advice to flip a coin is wise. You'll love both.

I also agree on renting a smaller vehicle--especially in Ireland but applicable to Scotland as well. One of my favorite experiences in Scotland was driving the A897, a mostly single track road from Helmsdale to Reay. This really was a lark--I had plenty of time, saw the road, and thought to myself, "I wonder where that leads?" I'm glad I did. Remote, dramatic scenery--I stopped four or five times to take pictures.

Despite the narrow road, I encountered the occasional lorry, and it was hairy enough pulling over at a passing place to let them go by in a small econobox car. I think you'd find encountering tour buses on the Dingle or Kerry peninsulas in Ireland, even on a two-lane road, to be intimidating as well.

By the way, if you do Ireland, don't dismiss Northern Ireland out of hand. A drive through the Glens of Antrim and then along the northern coast to Portrush/Portstewart brings some dramatic landscapes into play, including the Giant's Causeway.
Old Sep 7, 2016, 11:11 am

Programs: Amex Plat, AA, BA Silver, Marriott Plat, Choice Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Diamond
One more thing to add. Since you're flying from Germany, check Aberdeen or Inverness in Scotland or Shannon in Ireland as alternative airports. Each would put you near some fantastic scenery, especially Shannon if you decide to focus on the southwest/west part of the island rather than the north. Dublin, Edinburgh, or Glasgow all are much better alternatives if flying directly from the US, but you may have some viable options into Shannon/Aberdeen/Inverness from Europe.
Old Sep 9, 2016, 2:18 pm

I'm biased because I live here, but my vote is Scotland 100%. Check out their Outdoor Access Code; you really can wild camp virtually anywhere. Save the money in a camper van and B + Bs, rent a small car, get some warm sleeping bags, and camp for the entire week.

PM me if you stop through Aberdeen and want some recommendations.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.