Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > U.K. and Ireland
Reload this Page >

First time to Dublin for 5 days, not renting a car, have questions.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

First time to Dublin for 5 days, not renting a car, have questions.

Search this Thread

Old Aug 23, 2016, 11:18 pm
Original Poster

Question First time to Dublin for 5 days, not renting a car, have questions.

Two travelling. Oct. 2016.

1. hotel(s) within walking distance to/from Royal Surgeons College?

2. restaurants

3. what not to do

Any tips, advice will be greatly appreciated.
Old Aug 24, 2016, 12:10 am

Programs: BAEC GGL, HHonors Diamond, IHG Uninspired, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, UK AMEX Plat
You might want to clarify your idea of "walking distance", and if it varies on the weather.

(The distance I'll happily walk to/from a hotel in Edinburgh on a nice day isn't the same as I'd do in Dublin in the pissing rain, or Dubai in the baking heat, for example!)
Old Aug 24, 2016, 12:23 am
Original Poster

Late October in Dublin, what are the chances of wind and rain?

10 to 15 minute walk, tops.
Old Aug 24, 2016, 1:26 am

Programs: BA Bronze,Accor.Flightdiary.net/liamvad
En Seinne in Dawson Street is a fab place for a drink......
Old Aug 24, 2016, 2:31 am

Originally Posted by ConciergeBrandon
Ireland has a definite rainy season. It is 365 days long (366 this year). That's not to say that you won't have warm sunshine in Dublin in October, it is highly likely there will be some days like this. It's just that it is quite impossible to predict reliably which days will be dry and which wet more than about 5 days in advance for any given place in Ireland (or Britain, for that matter).
Old Aug 24, 2016, 5:18 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM, Hertz PC, Marriott Platinum/Lifetime Gold

2. restaurants

3. what not to do

Your questions are so vague as to be unhelpful.
Have you done any research yourself?
If you did a Google search "hotels within walking distance of Royal College of Surgeons Dublin" you'd have your answer by now.
Also, there are LOTS of restaurants in the St Stephens Green area. What cuisines do you like?
What do you mean "what not to do"?
Old Aug 24, 2016, 5:48 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
3. what not to do
As with anywhere you travel, avoiding sensitive political topics is a good idea, and that certainly applies to Ireland. And remember you are in Ireland, not the UK or Britain...I know it's crazy, but I've seen people say it there.

Other than that, it's a pretty friendly city, and the normal tourist sights are worth seeing, so not really many "don't do's" in my opinion.
Old Aug 24, 2016, 10:14 am

Originally Posted by JBord
As with anywhere you travel, avoiding sensitive political topics is a good idea, and that certainly applies to Ireland. And remember you are in Ireland, not the UK or Britain...I know it's crazy, but I've seen people say it there.

Other than that, it's a pretty friendly city, and the normal tourist sights are worth seeing, so not really many "don't do's" in my opinion.
Why is it 'crazy' to be even vaguely aware you're in a completely different country?
Old Aug 24, 2016, 12:09 pm
Original Poster

Yes, I have also been reading various sites on Dublin, and hotel reviews on Tripadvisor/Expedia.

Thought I might learn something new or different from here.

Thanks for taking time to respond ^^
Old Aug 24, 2016, 12:18 pm
glg

Originally Posted by psychokilla
Why is it 'crazy' to be even vaguely aware you're in a completely different country?
He was saying the opposite, that it's crazy that he has to mention that Ireland isn't Britain or the UK, yet he's heard people screw it up. Most likely one of my fellow Americans.
Old Aug 24, 2016, 1:06 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM, Hertz PC, Marriott Platinum/Lifetime Gold
Yes, I have also been reading various sites on Dublin, and hotel reviews on Tripadvisor/Expedia.

Thought I might learn something new or different from here.

Thanks for taking time to respond ^^
If you have done so much reading and research, what did you find?
Folks will offer suggestions on comparisons between different properties etc ... they will not do the work for you.
What "new or different" do you want?
Old Aug 24, 2016, 4:47 pm

Programs: IHG Spire, National Exec, AA Plat

2. restaurants

3. what not to do

1. Depends on what you want to spend. The Fitzwilliam is the closest, but is expensive. The Westin is about a 10 minute walk. The Temple Bar Hotel is about 10 as well - and that's where I have stayed multiple times. They just recently refurbished the entire place, so the prices went up - but it is nice.

2. Tons of places around here - you're just barely south of the main strip in Temple Bar. You will find alot on Grafton street including American fast food, if that's your thing. O'Neills is a good place, again about a 10 minute walk. You will have no shortage of choices in this area.

3. Avoid politics and religion, just like anywhere else. You'll run into drunks later in the night on most streets and alleys, but I've never been bothered. At most they will ask you for some change, a quick NO is sufficient.

Dawson's pub is a cool place, a very small pub nearby. I would recommend you buy yourself a LEAP card, directly in front of RCSI is the Luas green line. You can take a ride out to the southern area of Dublin, lots of nice stuff to check out. Also nearby is Dublin Pearse which is a major train station - another good way to explore.

Any additional details you can post on what you want to spend or things you think you may like/dislike will help us give more specific answers.
Old Aug 24, 2016, 7:24 pm
Original Poster

Thumbs up

bchandler02: Thank you kindly for taking time to reply. I have also narrowed down the hotel selection: Shelbourne, Conrad, Westin, Westbury, Radisson Blu. Fitzwilliam will be the back-up

Shortest walking distance to RCS, modern/contemporary decor, good breakfast. What say you?

Edit to add: I was not paying attention to Temple Bar hotel. Let me go find out more. 10 minute easy, or up the hill walk?

Last edited by ConciergeBrandon; Aug 24, 2016 at 8:03 pm
Old Aug 24, 2016, 8:41 pm

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
bchandler02: Thank you kindly for taking time to reply. I have also narrowed down the hotel selection: Shelbourne, Conrad, Westin, Westbury, Radisson Blu. Fitzwilliam will be the back-up

Shortest walking distance to RCS, modern/contemporary decor, good breakfast. What say you?

Edit to add: I was not paying attention to Temple Bar hotel. Let me go find out more. 10 minute easy, or up the hill walk?
The only place I have stayed in central Dublin is the Morgan, which I quite liked. The bar/restaurant is a bit lively as is the area if you want peace and quiet. The breakfast was good.

Lots of good walking in that area and plenty to see. And it shouldn't be packed with school trips when you are there so you don't need the advice to avoid July/August!
Old Aug 25, 2016, 7:37 am
Suspended

10 to 15 minute walk, tops.

They do say the only difference between winter and summer in Ireland is the temperature of the rain ...

The hotels you've chosen are all mainstream and what you'd expect but whenever I stay in Dublin I prefer a small,boutique hotel about 10 minutes from the Royal Surgeon's College which does a very good breakfast.( Described by some as the best breakfast in Ireland )

www.number31.ie

And if you like Japanese food.

www.yamamoriizakaya.ie

And while there are many great pubs in Dublin I like to drink here because it
a.Brews its own beer.
b.Doesn't sell Guinness.

www.theporterhouse.ie/bars-dublin-temple.php

As in all major cities you should exercise the usual degree of street awareness particularly as Dublin has a thriving street drug culture.

Last edited by Clint Bint; Aug 25, 2016 at 7:47 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.