Wiki Posts
Search

Pubs in Edinburgh?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17, 2016, 9:40 am
Original Poster

Programs: Bonvoy Amb LTT, HHonors Diamond, AA ExPlat, United Silver
Question Pubs in Edinburgh?

Can anyone recommend some good pubs walking distance to the Sheraton Grand in Edinburgh? Looking for a place with a good selection of hard ciders and some good pub food (shepard's pie, etc).
Old Aug 17, 2016, 12:12 pm

Programs: BA, TK, HHonours, Le Club, Best Western Rewards
Not sure about the food but the Oxford Bar is great for atmosphere. If you have read the Rebus books this is a must. There are lots of decent pubs in that area.

Hard Cider, or Cider as we call it this side of the pond, not many pubs do craft brews
but you should be able to find them here.
http://www.real-cider.co.uk/edinburgh-cider-map/
Old Aug 17, 2016, 12:28 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Bonvoy Amb LTT, HHonors Diamond, AA ExPlat, United Silver
Smile

Originally Posted by Worcester
Not sure about the food but the Oxford Bar is great for atmosphere. If you have read the Rebus books this is a must. There are lots of decent pubs in that area.

Hard Cider, or Cider as we call it this side of the pond, not many pubs do craft brews
but you should be able to find them here.
http://www.real-cider.co.uk/edinburgh-cider-map/
Extremely helpful. Thanks much.
Old Aug 17, 2016, 4:48 pm

I did wonder what hard cider was. Ask for that in Scotland and people will think you're a jakey (Google it)
You're spoilt for choice for good pubs in Edinburgh and it sounds like you'll be in walking distance from the new and old towns. Not so sure about the food in pubs nowadays as I don't go out in Edinburgh as much as I used to. The Cambridge bar is a few doors down from the Oxford bar and does great burgers and has a good selection of ales. Not so sure about ciders though as I don't drink it that much.
Old Aug 21, 2016, 2:48 pm

Programs: SMWS
the Hanging Bat is about 150 metres from the front door of the Sheraton, turn right and walk up Lothian Road, cross diagonally a the traffic lights and you're there. Great wee pub with plenty of cider, hard and soft, served in schooners (2/3 of a pint). Food isn't good though. About 150 metres the other way is the Huxley, where the food is excellent.

Food in the Oxford is limited to brought in pies (awful, Rebus is a moron). The burgers in the Cambridge are top notch, some of the best in Edinburgh.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.