Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > U.K. and Ireland
Reload this Page >

Three DataReward, 200mb/month free - any experiences?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 13, 2016, 10:34 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC GGL, HHonors Diamond, IHG Uninspired, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, UK AMEX Plat

Apparently 3 launched this in the spring, but I've only just come across it. Their Data Reward plan appears to give 200mb/month of free data, and then 1p/mb for data use beyond that in the month (or add-ons for cheaper expiring data). The website seems to imply it's only for tablets / mifis / dongles, not phones. You also seem to need to visit three.co.uk/freedata once you've got the sim, on the sim's data connection, to register for the free monthly data.

I'm told you can pick a suitable sim up for a quid from one of their shops, or you can get one posted for free in a few working days.

Overall, it looks like a very handy option for people on a short visit to the UK, or who'd want just a little bit of data on a trip where otherwise using wifi / another network.

Anyone tried getting one yet? Anyone have any experience with trying to use it in a phone? (I'm pondering getting one for my dual-sim phone, for the odd place where my normal EE sim doesn't have signal, plus maybe a second to lend to guests from overseas)
Old Aug 14, 2016, 3:38 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
I'm not sure how it detects your device.

For my phone I just use the regular PAYG 3 SIM, which gives you 150MB free per top up (min £5) and then the 1p/MB rate, so basically 650MB for £5 and with no time limits to worry about. I haven't topped mine up in over a year. (For calls I use a freephone calling card which charges on average 0.5p/min for UK calls)

I also have 4 SIMs from http://uk.freedompop.com/ which each give me 200MB per month completely free (you have to wait until there is an offer otherwise you need to pay a small postage / activation charge or something).

It also gives you free minutes and texts which only really work via their app over wifi, unless you pay for faster data service
Old Aug 15, 2016, 8:44 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC GGL, HHonors Diamond, IHG Uninspired, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, UK AMEX Plat
I've picked up one of these sims, and initially hit a snag. With the sim in a phone, wifi disabled, going to the registration page at www.three.co.uk/freedata would pop up the same page you get via wifi, saying

First, make sure you're connected to our network. Then we can check that you've got a compatible SIM and get you online. Just turn off Wi-Fi in your device settings and then refresh this page.
The problem turned out to be with the APN in use. It was defaulting to the "normal" 3 APN, three.co.uk. When I manually defined the other 3 APN which is "3internet", and connected on that one, then the registration page suddenly worked. Now I'm registered, it doesn't appear (from limited testing) to matter which one I connect to

Freedom Pop looks interesting though, thanks for the tip!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.