Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > U.K. and Ireland
Reload this Page >

UK SIM card options

UK SIM card options

Old Jul 26, 2016, 1:16 pm
Original Poster

UK SIM card options

I'm going to be in London for a few days August 19, from 5PM through August 22, 9PM so about 76 hours. I am with Verizon and can activate travelpass for $10 per 24 hours so that I can use my plan there, but that will be $40.. is there a cheaper alternative? i.e. local SIM options for a something reasonable...say $20-25 with about 250-300mb of data and a few minutes talk?

Also, I am heading to South Africa after this and don't want Travelpass there so there is also the inconvenience of turning on/turning off this feature.
Old Jul 26, 2016, 1:55 pm

Programs: 1 thousand
Buy a 3 sim card on arrival - I think they cost GBP 1.-, top up with GBP 10.- (I think that's the minimum topup), and you're good to go. 1p/mb, 2p/sms, 3p/min calling. The value doesn't expire so it's useful for any future trips there too (unless you actually use up the full GB of data...)

// Edit: not sure if that will work in a Verizon phone, I'm not very familiar with what US networks do to phones. It should work in most phones that take a normal sim card though.
Old Jul 26, 2016, 3:38 pm
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Moving this over to the UK/Ireland forum for further discussion. Thanks. /JY1024, TravelBuzz co-moderator
Old Jul 26, 2016, 5:00 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL, HHonors Diamond, IHG Uninspired, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, UK AMEX Plat
I think a 3 pay-as-you-go sim only has a fiver (5) minimum topup. Mine certainly seems happy with that! Often seems to give 150mb of bonus data when you do a 5 topup, coupled with their 1p/mb means you get quite a bit of infrequent-use non-expiring data (plus the odd call/text if needed) for a fiver

For high-use or with lots of overseas calling, you can do better than the 3 3-2-1 PAYG plan, but for lowish use (eg 100-500mb and/or limited calls/texts) it does seem to be the best UK PAYG plan at the moment.
Old Jul 26, 2016, 5:13 pm

Originally Posted by Gagravarr
I think a 3 pay-as-you-go sim only has a fiver (5) minimum topup. Mine certainly seems happy with that! Often seems to give 150mb of bonus data when you do a 5 topup, coupled with their 1p/mb means you get quite a bit of infrequent-use non-expiring data (plus the odd call/text if needed) for a fiver

For high-use or with lots of overseas calling, you can do better than the 3 3-2-1 PAYG plan, but for lowish use (eg 100-500mb and/or limited calls/texts) it does seem to be the best UK PAYG plan at the moment.
I've only ever seen the 5 topup online, and that doesn't work with a foreign card. In store I've only ever been offered 10 minimums.
Old Jul 26, 2016, 5:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
several suggestion in this thread

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/u-k-i...m-card-uk.html
Old Jul 26, 2016, 10:55 pm
Original Poster

Great thanks! I don't see a 3 store in the Heathrow terminal though... it says the stores are located somewhere out of the airport (used the store locator at three.co.uk). Is that accurate? As for my phone I have a Galaxy Note 3 and have used it in various other countries with different SIMs without issues so should be fine.
Old Jul 27, 2016, 4:08 am

Programs: BAEC GGL, HHonors Diamond, IHG Uninspired, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, UK AMEX Plat
I think the only people selling sim cards in Heathrow are selling the overpriced ones. There's a chance that the landside WH Smiths (newsagents that mostly sells snacks) might sell one. If not, free wifi all throughout Heathrow to get you connected on arrival, then just pickup a sim card + top up at a three store once you get into London
Old Jul 27, 2016, 5:34 am

Programs: Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Gold, BA Silver, Hertz President's Club
"in London.... 5pm...." Is that at Heathrow at 5pm or in Central London at 5pm? Three and other shops may be closed (please check) by the time you get into London.

As many have said - wifi is free around many places in London - notably coffee shops and perhaps where you're staying?

If you need to call someone the night before back to the USA and you have access to wifi - Google Hangouts offers free calls to all USA numbers.

During the day when you're out and about - use "Dial-a Code" (I will link it below): it lets you save on PAYG rates to international numbers. It's 3p per min, equivalent to the UK rate (Three's 3-2-1 PAYG Sim).

In terms of coverage, Three provides a consistent 4G service across much of Central London. I experience only 2-3 bars usually but it works very well for me.
Old Jul 27, 2016, 9:01 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Ambassador
There are also some vending machines for SIM cards - e.g. in T5 baggage reclaim. Sorry I don't know exactly which SIMs they sell
Old Jul 27, 2016, 10:12 am

You don't need a 3 store or even a mobile store. Most newsagents and supermarkets sell a range of prepaid sim cards, and they're open until late. Once you get off the tube/HEX just find the nearest shop and ask there. Larger tube stations might even have a newsagent underground (outside the ticket barriers), I've had multiple visitors buy their (3) sim card there.
Old Jul 28, 2016, 1:19 pm

Programs: DL PM MM SC; GE; Bonvoy Titanium; IHG Diamond
I was in London earlier this month and picked up an O2 SIM card at a Carphone Warehouse store. For 10 GBP, I got 1,500 call minutes, 4,000 texts and 3GB of data.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.