Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Early Departure at Heathrow T2

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16, 2016, 1:51 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Possibly, but ask at the hotel who will sort you out.
Old Jul 17, 2016, 2:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by VivoPerLei
I took the Aer Lingus 0640 flight to Dublin a couple of weeks ago, getting to the airport just a little before 0500 when the check-in opened. The terminal felt deserted and I was easily through security in less than 10 to 15 minutes. Ended up with way too much time to spare for that time of the morning. I should have left later.
T2 is so much easier than T5 as it doesn't have conformance so you have far more margin.
Silver Fox likes this.
Old Jul 18, 2016, 1:30 am

Originally Posted by lhrsfo
T2 is so much easier than T5 as it doesn't have conformance so you have far more margin.
The T2 experience is amazing, in my experience. Most of the time I fly through, coming and going. If traffic is light, I can leave my house and be sipping a glass of champagne in the LH lounge 25 minutes later. The walk to those nether B gates is a bit of a hike but luckily I don't have to do that too often.
Silver Fox likes this.
Old Jul 19, 2016, 7:01 am
Suspended

The first Heathrow Express actually doesn't leave until 5.10am, arriving at T1/2/3 at 5.26am. You should probably allow 10 minutes to reach the check-in desks from there, although it should be a little less.
According to my information the first Heathrow Express departs at 5.25am.
Old Jul 19, 2016, 7:23 am

Programs: BAEC GGL, HHonors Diamond, IHG Uninspired, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, UK AMEX Plat
I think it might depend on the day. Tomorrow there looks to be a HEX (T2/T3 then T5) at 05:10 and 05:25, slower Heathrow Connect (T2/T3 then T4) leaving at 05:13 then 05:33
Old Jul 19, 2016, 10:03 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by athena_78
According to my information the first Heathrow Express departs at 5.25am.
The OP's flight was about a week ago, so it doesn't matter, but for future reference your information is wrong:

https://www.heathrowexpress.com/time...ondon-heathrow
Old Jul 19, 2016, 10:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
Originally Posted by Gagravarr
I think it might depend on the day. Tomorrow there looks to be a HEX (T2/T3 then T5) at 05:10 and 05:25, slower Heathrow Connect (T2/T3 then T4) leaving at 05:13 then 05:33
Almost correct. Set your search time to 04:30 and you will see the first Connect service leaving Padington at 04:42:

http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/sear...016/07/20/0430

Sunday first trains are later in the morning from Paddington

First Connect is at 06:27

First Express is at 06:10
Old Aug 30, 2018, 5:30 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, HH Gold, IHG Plat Amb
It's been a couple of years since the last discussion, but facing the same problem in February (neurotic early planner here).
Any recommendations about hotels (Hilton Paddington, or one near the airport?) to get to T2 in time for LH921 on Tuesday morning?
Old Aug 30, 2018, 7:45 am
Suspended

Read my post #4 . No change. I have taken that flight so often I've lost count. T2 is a breeze at that time of the morning. As to your choice of hotel, Hilton Paddington gives you better food options in the evening, and the nicest at LHR (Sofitel) is a bit of a commuting pain to T2.
aakaa likes this.
Old Oct 6, 2018, 6:08 am

Programs: BA Executive Club, AZ, VS, AA, UA
Contuining the question on the same vein, I am taking an LH departure from T2 at 0725 on a Monday morning. I’ll be arriving by taxi - what’s the latest time you’d advise? Hand baggage only, no status, can buy fast track security if that’s advised... I was thinking 0630 but others in the LH forum have said that might be a bit tight and kindly signposted me to this thread.

TIA

OB
Old Oct 7, 2018, 2:17 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
Originally Posted by OxfordBlue
[left]Contuining the question on the same vein, I am taking an LH departure from T2 at 0725 on a Monday morning. I’ll be arriving by taxi - what’s the latest time you’d advise? Hand baggage only, no status, can buy fast track security if that’s advised... I was thinking 0630 but others in the LH forum have said that might be a bit tight and kindly signposted me to this thread.
If the taxi arrives at 0630 and you have your BP on your phone, it should be fine, but
- what if the taxi arrives 2-3 minutes late, or you get unlucky and hit all the red lights, unexpected roadworks, maybe traffic starts to get busy by 0600 where you're coming from, and your 0630 becomes 0640
- someone mentioned there is a small chance of a B gate departure, which means you might really need to run if a passenger ahead of you in the security happens to not understand what a liquid is
Silver Fox likes this.
Old Oct 7, 2018, 4:36 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by :D!
If the taxi arrives at 0630 and you have your BP on your phone, it should be fine, but
- what if the taxi arrives 2-3 minutes late, or you get unlucky and hit all the red lights, unexpected roadworks, maybe traffic starts to get busy by 0600 where you're coming from, and your 0630 becomes 0640
- someone mentioned there is a small chance of a B gate departure, which means you might really need to run if a passenger ahead of you in the security happens to not understand what a liquid is
Yeah, pretty much agree with all that. You'll start boarding at 0655-0700, ordinary security shouldn't take more than five minutes, but you never can tell with London traffic.
Old Oct 7, 2018, 8:00 am
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
Contuining the question on the same vein, I am taking an LH departure from T2 at 0725 on a Monday morning. I’ll be arriving by taxi - what’s the latest time you’d advise? Hand baggage only, no status, can buy fast track security if that’s advised... I was thinking 0630 but others in the LH forum have said that might be a bit tight and kindly signposted me to this thread.

TIA

OB
Standard security at T2 is generally pretty good, but I’m not aware there’s any paid option for Fast Track anyway - it’s a Star Gold/J/F channel which other airlines (such as EI) might be able to pay for access to for their elite members, but it’s not something offered to the general public.

Aiming for 6.30 is too tight for me, particularly arriving by taxi given the unpredictability of London traffic. I’m fairly risk-averse, but I’d want at least another 15 minutes.
Old Oct 7, 2018, 12:04 pm

Programs: BA Executive Club, AZ, VS, AA, UA
Originally Posted by NWIFlyer
Standard security at T2 is generally pretty good, but I’m not aware there’s any paid option for Fast Track anyway - it’s a Star Gold/J/F channel which other airlines (such as EI) might be able to pay for access to for their elite members, but it’s not something offered to the general public.

Aiming for 6.30 is too tight for me, particularly arriving by taxi given the unpredictability of London traffic. I’m fairly risk-averse, but I’d want at least another 15 minutes.
Thanks. There is a paid option now: https://www.heathrow.com/airport-gui...es/fast-track#

which I think I will take - and I will pull the taxi forward as well.
Old Oct 7, 2018, 1:30 pm
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador

Thanks. There is a paid option now: https://www.heathrow.com/airport-gui...es/fast-track#

which I think I will take - and I will pull the taxi forward as well.
Ah, I’d completely forgotten that! I’ll hang my head in shame.

I see it’s £12.50, and it’ll probably save you at most 5 minutes at that time of the morning - standard security really will not be busy at 6am or so. Even during the trials it was efficient, and I’ve used it once since when I happened to arrive just before the priority security opened and it was easier not to wait and it was still good.

Personally I’d sacrifice that time in bed

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.