Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Dream Trip to London - would love advice and tips

Search this Thread

Old Nov 29, 2016, 5:31 pm
Original Poster

Update - Trip Completed

First, thank you to all of you that offered advice and tips on this thread and another one I started about best airport transportation.

We had an amazing time - and seven days wasn't nearly enough! We could have stayed a month or two.

I hope to some day post a wonderful trip report, but in lieu of that - here's a couple highlights:
  • The flight over on Delta One was long. Tucson-Atlanta-LHR. The Delta One seat was comfortable, the meals were delicious.
  • I couldn't quite sleep on the flight but was able to rest quite a bit
  • The walk from the gate for Delta to baggage claim and then to the Underground stations was LONG. Probably two miles of walking.
  • We decided to take the Underground from LHR all the way to St Pancras/King's Cross - it was direct and took about an hour
  • Renaissance St Pancras hotel is a part of the St Pancras train station and a lovely hotel, so much history and beauty in that building
  • In true British spirit, the service was exceptional and all people encountered were friendly
  • Day long tour of London was hectic, but we got to see a lot. Particularly enjoyed St Paul's Cathedral and all the history there
  • We had tickets to the London Eye, but despite a quick Xanax, could not get my wife on the thing. She's terrified of heights
  • Tuesday was a leisurely day, went to Harrod's, shopped, visited the British Museum. Wonderful.
  • Tuesday night was Wicked at the Victoria Theater. Easily the best part of the trip. The show was incredible.
  • Wednesday was an all day guided tour to Paris on the Eurostar. Way too hectic again, it was only a "taste" of Paris - we could have stayed for days.
  • The train trip down was efficient and wonderful.
  • The return trip out of the Paris station was worse than any TSA backlog i've ever seen. They held the train an hour for most of us to get through security.

The flight back was so much longer than the trip over but still very enjoyable. Still in Delta One and tried again to sleep but just couldn't do it.

Overall a wonderful trip that we will always remember. Thank you all again for your help and tips. They came in very handy. I printed them and had them with me the whole time.

Cheers!
Old Nov 29, 2016, 6:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Thanks for coming back and reporting!

And I'm glad you enjoyed your trip!
Old Nov 29, 2016, 7:51 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, AA, BA Silver, Marriott Plat, Choice Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by RVBOOS
First, thank you to all of you that offered advice and tips on this thread and another one I started about best airport transportation.

We had an amazing time - and seven days wasn't nearly enough! We could have stayed a month or two.

I hope to some day post a wonderful trip report, but in lieu of that - here's a couple highlights:
  • The flight over on Delta One was long. Tucson-Atlanta-LHR. The Delta One seat was comfortable, the meals were delicious.
  • I couldn't quite sleep on the flight but was able to rest quite a bit
  • The walk from the gate for Delta to baggage claim and then to the Underground stations was LONG. Probably two miles of walking.
  • We decided to take the Underground from LHR all the way to St Pancras/King's Cross - it was direct and took about an hour
  • Renaissance St Pancras hotel is a part of the St Pancras train station and a lovely hotel, so much history and beauty in that building
  • In true British spirit, the service was exceptional and all people encountered were friendly
  • Day long tour of London was hectic, but we got to see a lot. Particularly enjoyed St Paul's Cathedral and all the history there
  • We had tickets to the London Eye, but despite a quick Xanax, could not get my wife on the thing. She's terrified of heights
  • Tuesday was a leisurely day, went to Harrod's, shopped, visited the British Museum. Wonderful.
  • Tuesday night was Wicked at the Victoria Theater. Easily the best part of the trip. The show was incredible.
  • Wednesday was an all day guided tour to Paris on the Eurostar. Way too hectic again, it was only a "taste" of Paris - we could have stayed for days.
  • The train trip down was efficient and wonderful.
  • The return trip out of the Paris station was worse than any TSA backlog i've ever seen. They held the train an hour for most of us to get through security.

The flight back was so much longer than the trip over but still very enjoyable. Still in Delta One and tried again to sleep but just couldn't do it.

Overall a wonderful trip that we will always remember. Thank you all again for your help and tips. They came in very handy. I printed them and had them with me the whole time.

Cheers!
Just got back from my third trip to London. You're absolutely correct--you'd need at least a month or two to cover everything of interest in London, and you'd still be leaving a fair amount out. I think I've covered no more than 10% of my goals after three trips there.

I'm also with you on flying in a lie-flat as I don't think I will get as great a night's sleep as in my own bed, but I definitely feel more relaxed after spending 8 or more hours in a bed compared with an upright, cramped economy seat. And we're not even talking about the longer trips you can make to southern Africa, South America, Asia, and Australia.

Although I've not been to Paris, your description of security out of Paris makes sense given last year's problems and made us decide to avoid scheduling that side trip.

I'm very glad to hear you had a great time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.