Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Dream Trip to London - would love advice and tips

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21, 2016, 11:13 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
Oh, there's also the Grain Store and Dishoom Kings Cross round that way. And loads (not least Ottolenghi's) up at the Angel.
Old Jul 22, 2016, 3:24 am

Angel - my home turf. Loads of good options

But around King's Cross/St Pancras there are now a few good options. It's changed beyond recognition from even just a year or so ago. I ate at the German Gymnasium a couple of weeks ago - very nice, in a Mitteleuropa kind of way. I also rate Vinoteca. Have eaten there several times, and it has a great wine list with decently-priced options.

I had breakfast at Dishoom a few weeks back (the Shoreditch one). Bit of a revelation - would never have thought of breakfast/brunch at an Indian restaurant but it was really quite good.
Old Jul 22, 2016, 4:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by stut
They are bafflingly popular, given the tacky decor and high prices. Surely in this day of data roaming and obsessive Tripadvice, it's a lot easier to stumble into a Hawksmoor or Cau instead.
Agreed, but stumbling into good places is not so easy as you always have to book in advance, sometimes just a week, sometimes months. Tourists don't do that.

The boss and I are very particular about where we eat, and we do research things carefully before a trip, but somehow we find it difficult to get the right feel of a new city until we are actually there. If we spend significant time (eg a week) we find we don't really get the hang of the food scene for at least a couple of days. So I do understand why tourists get trapped - tired and hungry, you tend not to react well to items such as "jacob’s ragout (red ruby)
turnip ‘pasta’ ~ seaweed ~ parmesan", or "hogget (tamar valley)
sweetbread ~ yeast glazed celeriac ~ red wine garlic" where I'm eating tonight. (To give a clue, Padstow, but not Rick Stein).
Old Jul 22, 2016, 4:38 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
Ooh, let us know how it is, I'm off down to Padstow in a couple of weeks...

Fair point, I guess not everywhere is a place where you have to reserve well in advance (I forget this sometimes when visiting London). That said, there is so much information at your fingertips these days, I can't imagine (when being a tourist) not figuring out in advance where I'd like to eat!
Old Jul 22, 2016, 11:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Caravan next door to the Grain Store is a good spot for a relaxed small plates meal.

Swerving slightly OT I ate at an Aberdeen Angus steakhouse for a dare many years ago. It was...predictably awful, from the Fawlty Towers service to limp, watery steak. Disgusting places.
Old Jul 26, 2016, 9:27 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
You could day trip it to Cambridge on the Friday if you feel like a change and the weather is nice.

However you don't mention any of the great museum in Londons. I would fully recommend going to South Kensington to look around some of the Science Museum, Natural History Museum, or Victoria and Albert museum. Alternatively the British Museum. It wold take you at least a day to go round all of each one on their own, but they are all free, so you can walk in and out as you wish and take in a few galleries in each. The BM has a reasonable restaurant.

The St. Pancras hotel is lovely on the inside, from what I saw of it (I was booked in one night at the opening discount rates shortly after it opened, but a domestic emergency meant I actually spent about an hour there before leaving).
Old Jul 26, 2016, 4:15 pm

Programs: QF Silver
Hi all

I've been reading this thread with interest and been using all your great ideas to plan for my trip to London at the end of August. I'd be grateful for some feedback and thoughts on my itinerary. I'm staying in Soho.

Arrive Sunday afternoon: wander around Soho/walking tour, dinner.

Monday: Walk down to Embankment and catch the Thames Hopper. Tower of London, Tower Bridge. Make my way into the city for the afternoon and do some shopping inc various markets.

Tuesday: Walk to Westminster Abbey, tour Parliament (should be open), Churchill War Rooms. Walk over to Southbank - London Eye (thoughts on whether to do this during the day or at night?). I also want to check out Harrods.

Wednesday: Walk through St James Gardens to Buckingham Palace for tour. Head up to St John's (Abbey Road). Dinner and a show at night.

Thursday: British Museum in the morning (leave bags at St Pancras) before Eurostar at 1.30pm.

As you can see I'm a big walker - I'm fairly young and fit and I think it's a better way to experience a place. But happy for feedback on whether things are just too far. I also like to take things a bit slower and explore a bit more, so thoughts on whether I've got too much or nowhere near enough in each day would be appreciated

Thanks in advance.
Old Jul 27, 2016, 1:50 am

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Platinum, Accor Gold
London is a great city for walking so you're coming to the right place. You'll get a lot out of your trip by walking around and just stumbling across places/experiences. I've lived in London for over 20 years and I still discover new places all the time (London is constantly evolving).

You haven't scheduled too much in at all. Far from it. Sounds like you like to have a "high level plan" but the ability to go off track if you find something interesting when walking around so that timeline works well. And good plan for your last morning.

On the Mon, which markets are you thinking of visiting?? Mon isn't a great day for markets so just wondering what you have in mind?

I wouldn't miss out on walking along the South Bank from Westminster/London Eye as far as Tower of London. It's an interesting walk with lots to see on the way (and plenty of places for coffee etc). You could even walk back through the City (so north bank of the Thames) past St Paul's etc to Soho.

Just to add that Abbey Road is at St John's Wood. Maybe it was just a typo but if you just say "St John's" people will think you're most likely referring to a church or school rather than St John's Wood. Could make asking for directions interesting ;-)
Old Jul 27, 2016, 2:34 am

That sounds like a good itinerary.

On the Monday you mention seeing the city. I assume by this you mean The City as in the square mile (which would make a lot of sense from Tower Bridge/The Tower of London).

However, if you're here the last Monday in August, bear in mind it's a public holiday. It means the City will be dead as it's a non-working day and nearly all shops will be closed. If you want to see that part of town - and I'd recommend you do - then it would be better to do that on another day.

Also, if you're in that part of town then I'd recommend booking a ticket for the Sky Garden to enjoy some decent views of London. There are several restaurants up there too so you could just book lunch with a view.
Old Jul 27, 2016, 5:48 am

Programs: Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Gold, BA Silver, Hertz President's Club
Just adding some weight on the travel aspect: Oyster Cards are alot more complex than the NYC Metrocard (for example).

A good thing with the Oyster Card, if you're planning to do a lot in one day, is not to be afraid of spending "too much" on public transport. There's a daily capping system which automatically limits the amount one can spend on an oyster card on anything which is public transport and has wheels (ie. Not taxis and River services).

Also: London buses can be an absolute shambles. I don't dislike buses however, traffic can be somewhat unpredictable in London. Let's say you were near Green Park and you wanted to get to Soho: you could get the Bus or the tube (one stop) or you could walk. It's about a 10 - 20 min walk but on the bus could take a LOT longer as Piccadilly Circus is often congested.

Citymapper is a great app to use when getting around London; It's extremely accurate and will give you the price, time and step by step alerts and directions to wherever you want to go.

Everyone has suggested the best places to go; You might also qualify for "2FOR1 days out" in London if you present a valid train ticket. That will, effectively, save you 50%.
Old Jul 27, 2016, 2:53 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver (lapsed HNL Gold), Avis Preferred, IHG Diamond Amb, Hilton Plat, Marriot Plat
That seems like a good plan for seeing the main sites whilst having time to be distracted by interesting things.

I wouldn't bother with the Thames Clipper on Monday - I'd walk to Tower Hill from Soho, you could probably do it in an hour walking through Covent Garden, Aldwych, Fleet St, St Paul's, through The City (Bank/Royal Exchange) then down to Tower Hill. You could then walk across Tower Bridge, take a wander into Shad Thames, then walk all the way along the riverbank to the London Eye. I'd say allow 2 hours for each walk and you'll be able to stop and take in things as you see them along the way. You can time your walking depending if you want a daytime/dusk/night London Eye flight.

Harrods isn't particularly near Westminster/South Bank, but removing the London Eye from Tuesday would give you time to go there and back.

I echo Citymapper as a suggestion, it's great especially when there is disruption. Plus, if it's Bank Holiday Monday everything touristy will be mobbed and The City will be empty, things like the London Eye and the whole South Bank.
Old Jul 28, 2016, 2:46 am

Originally Posted by james_yuen
Just adding some weight on the travel aspect: Oyster Cards are alot more complex than the NYC Metrocard (for example).

A good thing with the Oyster Card, if you're planning to do a lot in one day, is not to be afraid of spending "too much" on public transport. There's a daily capping system which automatically limits the amount one can spend on an oyster card on anything which is public transport and has wheels (ie. Not taxis and River services).

Also: London buses can be an absolute shambles. I don't dislike buses however, traffic can be somewhat unpredictable in London. Let's say you were near Green Park and you wanted to get to Soho: you could get the Bus or the tube (one stop) or you could walk. It's about a 10 - 20 min walk but on the bus could take a LOT longer as Piccadilly Circus is often congested.

Citymapper is a great app to use when getting around London; It's extremely accurate and will give you the price, time and step by step alerts and directions to wherever you want to go.

Everyone has suggested the best places to go; You might also qualify for "2FOR1 days out" in London if you present a valid train ticket. That will, effectively, save you 50%.
I think you're over-stating things.

Oyster cards are not a lot more complex than other travel cards. If you're using the card for pay-as-you-go travel then the system automatically works out a daily cap (£6.50 if you travel only in zones 1 and 2 - most likely for most tourists) so you don't pay over that amount, regardless of the journeys you take (whether on tube, bus or whatever). If you take fewer journeys in a day and don't reach that limit then you just pay the single fares for the journeys you took.

Different cap limits apply to outer zones, including if you stick to outer zones only and don't travel into the centre, but that's really not relevant for tourists to the city.

What is worth knowing is payments and the daily cap work exactly the same if you use a contactless debit or credit card to pay for journeys. Much less hassle if you have such a card. If not then it's easy enough to get an Oyster card.

London buses aren't an 'absolute shambles' either . Just like the centre of any big city, the roads get congested. So sometimes it's as quick to walk as get the bus, if you were planning a short hop right in the centre, such as near Piccadilly Circus. But other than that, buses work fine. And in the hot weather, more pleasant than the tube.
Old Jul 28, 2016, 4:16 am

Programs: Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Gold, BA Silver, Hertz President's Club
You're right... I'm overstating a bit.

1. (Not 100% sure but If you have a contactless debit card from a country outside the UK (used with Apple Pay or not) - it should work on London Transport (subject to any currency exchange fees etc.)

2. My description of London Buses is purely from personal experience. Traffic can sometimes back up significantly, especially with some of the Crossrail works near and around the Oxford Street area.

There aren't many differences in terms of peak and off-peak travel within Zones 1-2 - just bear in mind that, just like other busy cities, the tube can be very congested.
Old Jul 30, 2016, 11:42 pm

Programs: QF Silver
Thanks everyone for your feedback. I didn't realise Monday would be a holiday. I might swap out Monday and Wednesday - I think the Palace and GArdens will be the best bet for a holiday.

I like the suggestion of walking to the Tower area via Southbank and back on the north side. I also had a google of SkyGarden which looks very cool also.

Revised plan:
Arrive Sunday afternoon: wander around Soho/walking tour, dinner.

Monday: Walk through St James Gardens to Buckingham Palace for tour. Head up to St John's Wood (Abbey Road). Dinner and a show at night.

Tuesday: Walk to Westminster Abbey, tour Parliament, Churchill War Rooms. Head over to Harrods.

Wednesday: Southbank and London eye). Walk to Tower of London, Tower Bridge. Walk back via the city and do some shopping - lunch or afternoon tea at SkyGarden. (or vice versa).

Thursday: British Museum in the morning (leave bags at St Pancras) before Eurostar at 1.30pm.
Old Aug 2, 2016, 3:01 am

That sounds like a good plan to me.

Regarding the show on Monday evening, if I were you I'd take a look now at what's on, to get tickets to something you really want to see. The other reason for doing this is some theatres have a night off on Monday evenings so it might be worth checking out for that reason too, in case you want to shift the theatre trip to another day.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.