Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The joys of STN

Search this Thread

Old Jun 30, 2016, 7:09 am

Worth noting that the morning VivoPerLei was speaking of above (in post #29), Thursday just gone, was when the weather was pretty terrible in south east England - lots of torrential rain, which never makes things easy going on the roads.
Old Jul 27, 2016, 5:02 am

OK, I changed my mind. Stansted sucks big time. Why did I have to wait 30 minutes for the bus to the terminal? 30 minutes after coming to a stop at designated stand. That's just mediocre service.
Old Jul 28, 2016, 1:14 am
formerly known as ravishah

Update we flew about a month ago on a Friday morning before school hols, getting there as okay not much traffic. But our flight was at 8 so after the really early morning rush. I used meet and greet priority which gave fast track for 6 of us for a fiver extra which was worth it.

The airport itself was a zoo - so busy glad we got fast track the queue through normal security looked like it would have taken ages. Despite all the shops and restaurants it was pretty packed even then so getting a space to have a coffee was more challenging then I would have hoped.
Old Jul 31, 2016, 12:37 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
Originally Posted by VivoPerLei
The biggest queues I have seen are in the 0530 to 0600 time frame. I believe 0715 is probably past the peak, but will stand corrected if someone has better anecdotal experience.
I concur, it is usually quieter by 07:00, at least you can usually get to the car parks by then without having a queue on the single access road to the airport terminal area.

Originally Posted by tupungato
OK, I changed my mind. Stansted sucks big time. Why did I have to wait 30 minutes for the bus to the terminal? 30 minutes after coming to a stop at designated stand. That's just mediocre service.
Long stay? If so, yes, it's usually crap. Pre-book the mid stay unless you're very tight for cash and very loose on time. Mid stay? If you had to wait 30 mins for a bus there, that's unusually bad and unfortunate for you. You can wait 15 minutes quite easily there, however.

If you value your time, pre-book the short stay, that's the way to go. No buses to screw up your life there.

Originally Posted by rollingdeep
U\The airport itself was a zoo - so busy glad we got fast track the queue through normal security looked like it would have taken ages. Despite all the shops and restaurants it was pretty packed even then so getting a space to have a coffee was more challenging then I would have hoped.
Yes, it's like that at all the holiday times. Not only is the seating area packed, but all the eating places are too - not least because once people have got a seat they don't give it up easily until their flight boards, they won't easily find another one!
Old Jul 31, 2016, 3:13 pm

Programs: BA Silver, Hilton Diamond, BD Blue (RIP)
There's a coffee bar in the Ryanair pier (Gates 40-59) where I've set myself up before when waiting. Good views and plenty of power outlets. About a 10 minute walk from the main terminal (and you'll have to double back on yourself if your flight turns out to be boarding from elsewhere) but so much more pleasant than the zoo that is the main departure lounge.
Old Jul 31, 2016, 3:24 pm

Can you walk back from the 40s/50s gates to the main terminal? How do arrivals work at those gates?

You can't do this from the 80s gate pier, you'll be made to turn right to passport control, not left to the departures area.

I must admit I have flown Ryanair 3 times in my life, so I don't go to that bit of Stansted often (and the last time I returned to Stansted on Ryanair, we were so late that we had to be bussed to the UK Border).
Old Jul 31, 2016, 5:38 pm

Programs: Skywards Gold, Amex Plat, SkyTeam Silver
Originally Posted by flatlander
Can you walk back from the 40s/50s gates to the main terminal? How do arrivals work at those gates?

You can't do this from the 80s gate pier, you'll be made to turn right to passport control, not left to the departures area.
This is what I wondered. I think 40/50 is just UK departures though so a quick flash of a valid boarding card and they should let you go back into the departure lounge?
Old Aug 1, 2016, 4:04 am

Programs: BA Silver, Hilton Diamond, BD Blue (RIP)
Originally Posted by sigma421
There's a coffee bar in the Ryanair pier (Gates 40-59) where I've set myself up before when waiting. Good views and plenty of power outlets. About a 10 minute walk from the main terminal (and you'll have to double back on yourself if your flight turns out to be boarding from elsewhere) but so much more pleasant than the zoo that is the main departure lounge.
40-59 is split between arrivals and departures so it's possible to remain on the departures side and walk back into the main lounge.
Old Aug 1, 2016, 12:51 pm

Originally Posted by sigma421
40-59 is split between arrivals and departures so it's possible to remain on the departures side and walk back into the main lounge.
Ah, I see. Useful to know, thanks.
Old Aug 1, 2016, 2:04 pm

This photo shows the corridor to the pier hosting gates 40-59 - the glass wall separates arriving and departing passengers, though as sigma421 says there is absolutely nothing at all to stop you, as a departing passenger, walking to and then back from the pier to the main terminal building (you'll just be going the other way to everyone on your side of the glass wall).

Like sigma421 says, there's a coffee bar and plenty of space on said pier - it's a much calmer place than the main terminal. If you don't want to sit at the coffee bar then you can just take a seat next to one of the gates - lots of seating and it's all open, i.e. there are no segregated individual 'gate compounds'.
Old Aug 2, 2016, 2:49 am
formerly known as ravishah

Thanks we are back there on b/h weekend when I assume it will be crazy so will def take this advice. Sadly no other choice to fly direct to Gdansk.
Old Aug 2, 2016, 4:48 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
Isn't there also LTN-GDN on Wizzair?

LTN isn't a great building (especially with the current building works) but it works an awful lot more efficiently than STN. Mind you, Wizzair are even worse than Ryanair for the additional charging...
Old Aug 8, 2016, 2:37 pm

STN is sadly now a shadow of its former glory ... MAG have reduced it to being a shopping mall with a few planes attached. And the walk of shame through the glittery black perfumery is no better when there are very few passengers (yes it happens occasionally around 10H30 on a weekday) when it becomes muggers' alley as the assistants try to encourage you to sniff their scent ...
Old Aug 9, 2016, 9:51 am

Meanwhile, Stansted's parking contactors had a complete charlie foxtrot at the laughably named "Meet and Greet" last weekend.

Hundreds of returning holidaymakers were forced to “camp out" for hours after staff at a Stansted Airport valet service were unable to find customers' cars or car keys.

The Meet & Greet service run by Empark is meant to allow people travelling to leave their car in safe hands while they are away.

But a mistake at the weekend led to “significant delays" when workers at the desk could not reunite drivers with their cars.
I note that the comments on that story suggest it wasn't a one-off occurrence either.
Old Aug 9, 2016, 11:06 am

Programs: BA-S UA LH-Sen KLM/AF-Plat.
Oh for the days when Air UK flew out of STN, no queues to speak of, few shops and fewer people.

When I was younger I went to meet my RAF brother flying back from Singapore on a RAF flight. The airport at that time - about 1963 - was nissen huts with wicker chairs. I half expected Wingo to come running in to warn of Messerschmidts approaching.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.