Wiki Posts
Search

Where to donate spare coins in LHR T5?

Search this Thread

Old May 23, 2016, 2:41 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA-Gold, Flying Blue-Gold, United, AA
Where to donate spare coins in LHR T5?

I can't remember if there are collection points for foreign currency in aid of aviation related charities in T5, I remember seeing them historically.

I'll be going through there shortly and have at last cleared out about 2Kg of coins of various denominations and currencies from the last few years.

So, is there a collection point still? And is it groundside, so I don't have to explain this huge chunk of dense metal going through the X-Ray system?

Dermot
Old May 24, 2016, 6:56 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
Security people have seen change before, if you put it through separately.
Old May 24, 2016, 7:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
It does not give specific locations, but the people at these links migh have information on money collection points:

http://www.heathrow.com/company/comm...rt-for-charity
Old May 28, 2016, 7:01 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
I frequently bring >20kg of coins through LHR security and most of the time it is trouble-free. Nobody will care about 2kg especially if you put them in a clear plastic bag as you do for liquids.

Rather than bringing the coins to the airport, you might as well just drop them in to one of these machines: http://www.fourex.co.uk/ I'm not involved with this company.

If you wish to donate the money to charity, and it is a substantial amount, it would be better if you exchanged (either using the above machines or some other way, or dropping them into collection boxes in their home country) and donated it yourself than dropping foreign coins into an airport collection box. Charities receive less than half the value of foreign coins donated in this manner.
Old May 28, 2016, 7:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Hi,

If you are flying BA you could give them to Flying Start ( the envelopes should be in the seat pocket or in the headset package on long haul flights)

Regards

TBS

Last edited by The _Banking_Scot; Jun 5, 2016 at 12:09 pm
Old May 30, 2016, 7:40 pm

Originally Posted by The _Banking_Scot
Hi,

If you are flying BA you could give them to Flying Start ( the envelopes should be in the seat pocket or in the headset package on long haul fights)

Regards

TBS
We did this recently - handed over around 2kg worth. The crew were delighted, it filled around 6 envelopes!
Old Jun 5, 2016, 3:45 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
Originally Posted by AllTheNines
We did this recently - handed over around 2kg worth. The crew were delighted, it filled around 6 envelopes!
Can one simply stick the envelope to the outside of a strong sack?
Old Dec 29, 2021, 7:25 am
RBL

Programs: BA
I found this post when I was due to fly via T5 earlier this month. As there was no clear answer, I had a look when I arrived into T5. There are 2 charity coin collection boxes in baggage reclaim. I tried to remember which baggage carousels they were near and then promptly forgot!. I think one of them is on the wall opposite carousel 7.
Alternatively, look at the Cash 4 Coins website for more ideas eg Sainsburys Money Exchange Bureaux have collection boxes for The Royal British Legion.
KARFA, DaveS and Cessna152 like this.
Old Aug 4, 2022, 7:48 am

Originally Posted by The _Banking_Scot
Hi,

If you are flying BA you could give them to Flying Start ( the envelopes should be in the seat pocket or in the headset package on long haul flights)

Regards

TBS
Flying BA to YVR next week. Is this still a valid option for donating 2 or 3 bags of mixed foreign currency?
Old Aug 4, 2022, 1:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Originally Posted by HSR1234
Flying BA to YVR next week. Is this still a valid option for donating 2 or 3 bags of mixed foreign currency?
Hi

it is certainly a valid option. There is a flying start video that comes on close to landing at around the 40 min mark or so with an envelope in the headphone pack.
it you need more envelopes or you cannot find yours just ask the cabin crew

Regards

Tbs
HSR1234 likes this.
Old Aug 5, 2022, 4:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
An American lady ahead of me in the queue to pay for a book solved the loose-change problem by giving a hefty tip in coins to the rather surprised girl working the till.
The _Banking_Scot and HSR1234 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.