Wiki Posts
Search

Any Oyster Card experts?

Search this Thread

Old May 23, 2016, 12:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold, HH Gold
Any Oyster Card experts?

I can never understand this. Where does the £10.30 daily total come from? It appears to have activated the daily cap for zones 1-3 (£5+£1.5+£1.1) of £7.60 with the rest of my return back to kings cross "free". But the £10.30 is a mystery to me!

I put in my expenses as £10.30 and no one seems to bat an eyelid! But I'd rather get it right than rip the client off a few pounds.

Thanks
Attached Images  
Old May 23, 2016, 12:23 pm
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
It looks like it's calculated that using a 1-3 all mode cap plus a tram-only cap is cheaper than a 1-5 cap.
Old May 23, 2016, 1:10 pm
Original Poster

Thanks Stut but I still think I don't get it!

Just gone back to check the balance before my journeys on 17th and it was £22.40. So that minus £14.80 is equal to £7.60! Why say £10.30 daily total if they are only charging me £7.60. I think I have answered my own question?

Think I will try contactless card next time as that interface appears to be a lot clearer (have been using it for personal journeys, but not through Wimbledon).
Old May 23, 2016, 2:56 pm

That print out is very odd. You have been charged £7.60, the z1-3 cap, which is correct. The £10.30 line just appears to be totally spurious.
Although the individual fares for using contactless are identical to oyster, the calculation engine used in the background is entirely different. Oyster calculates your card PAYG balance in real time with every "tocuh in / touch out". With contactless, all your "touch in / touch outs" are recorded , but no calculation of fare is performed until the overnight run. Your card account is charged - once per day, not for the individual legs - after this daily calculation has been performed.
Remember if you're doing a lot of travel that contactless will also look to see if weekly fare capping (Mon-Sun) will benefit you and adjust your daily charge if it will - which the oyster calculation engine is incapable of handling.
Old May 23, 2016, 3:24 pm

Oh, that is weird.

The appear to be 2 caps. I wonder if there has been done kind of auto-correct process in the system. Apparently changes to/from the tram at Wimbledon are notorious for causing problems, as it's within a gated station and teams are touch in only.

It does seem to have come to the right conclusion at least.

Or it could be that when you joined the tram in the evening, it calculated that at that point in time, the cheapest fare was a rail one way plus a tram day ticket. When you later headed to Kings Cross, this was updated to be a 1-3 day ticket. But the display had not yet caught up.
Old May 24, 2016, 5:59 am
Original Poster

Thanks for your help guys. Yeah Wimbledon is a bit odd, especially going from Tram to SWT as there's no touch points on SWT platforms (towards Waterloo)
Old May 24, 2016, 10:53 am

Programs: FB Plat; BAEC Gold
For expense purposes can you not claim the top up rather than individual journeys?

That is the way I do it.
Old May 24, 2016, 11:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by manymany
Thanks for your help guys. Yeah Wimbledon is a bit odd, especially going from Tram to SWT as there's no touch points on SWT platforms (towards Waterloo)
There are pink readers on the tram platforms.

You are supposed to (or used to have to) touch out of the tram platform but not in again if then using a train services.

It's very unusual as it's the only tram stop where you have to touch out at other wise it confuses the oyster system and calculating the right fare for wherever you do touch out of.
Old May 24, 2016, 1:12 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
There are pink readers on the tram platforms.

You are supposed to (or used to have to) touch out of the tram platform but not in again if then using a train services.

It's very unusual as it's the only tram stop where you have to touch out at other wise it confuses the oyster system and calculating the right fare for wherever you do touch out of.
I think the ones on the Tram platform aren't the pink ones but specific rail ones which you do have to tap. I did the same journey a couple of months ago and didn't tap and ended up with an incomplete journey.

Originally Posted by DaveNCL
For expense purposes can you not claim the top up rather than individual journeys?

That is the way I do it.
This company explicitly states this can't be done, because it could be used for personal travel!
Old May 25, 2016, 8:23 am

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec
Originally Posted by manymany
This company explicitly states this can't be done, because it could be used for personal travel!
Would they let you just get a second Oyster for work? Would seem to make things a lot simpler.
Old May 25, 2016, 8:56 am

Originally Posted by cestmoi123
Would they let you just get a second Oyster for work? Would seem to make things a lot simpler.
I've found it varies a lot company to company. With my last company, I had a whole host of smart cards (Oyster, Leap, Rejsekort, Jojo...) and they were happy to reimburse overseas top-ups, but only per-journey on domestic. I understand they'd had their wrists slapped by HMRC on the latter.

With my current company, they will only reimburse per-journey.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.