Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > U.K. and Ireland
Reload this Page >

walking from victoria station to sheraton park lane hotel

Old May 17, 2016, 5:12 pm
Original Poster

just wondering if I should walk from Victoria station to Sheraton park lane hotel or I see another station , think green park , should I go there from Victoria station ? don't mind walking , ill have suitcase with me , hotel looks about a mile away , make sense to go to another station or walk .
Old May 17, 2016, 9:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Are you arriving by train, tube or coach?
Old May 18, 2016, 1:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
If you are arriving by tube on the Victoria Line, you'd be better off getting off at Green Park. If on the District Line, I'd get off at St. James Park - it's not really shorter but it's a nicer walk.

If you are arriving by bus, it's a nice walk if you take Ebury Street and cut through Grosvenor Square. By train and pretty well the only route is Grosvenor Place, which is very doable but incredibly busy.
Old May 18, 2016, 2:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Assuming you are arriving by train it is a do-able but longish walk and a large chunk is a gentle uphill climb. The tube requires negotiating several flights of stairs and then a 7min from Green Park. Personally I would just jump in a cab.
Old May 18, 2016, 5:15 am
Original Poster

I'm going to get sourthern train from Gatwick ,never been to london so really don't mind a walk to stretch the legs and look around ,don't think I get a cab for that distance myself ,just thought if green park station was closer , try to get there.
Old May 18, 2016, 5:38 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
If it's a nice day and the suitcase isn't too cumbersome, I would walk from Victoria. It'll take about half an hour and if you route along Buckingham Gate, passing the front of Buckingham Palace then across Green Park, you'll get a free mini-sightseeing tour and can say Hi to the Queen.
Old May 18, 2016, 6:14 am
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by Oxon Flyer
If it's a nice day and the suitcase isn't too cumbersome, I would walk from Victoria. It'll take about half an hour and if you route along Buckingham Gate, passing the front of Buckingham Palace then across Green Park, you'll get a free mini-sightseeing tour and can say Hi to the Queen.
I personally wouldn't bother getting on the Tube either - by the time you've bought a ticket, gone through the escalator system, waited for a train, exited the arrival station and walked the shorter distance to the hotel you could almost have made it on foot from Victoria anyway.

There are numerous routes to Park Lane from Victoria. The one described by Oxon Flyer is probably slightly the longest, but still walkable in 20 minutes or so (for me, but I walk reasonably quickly) - and certainly the best from a sightseeing point-of-view. As posted, you'll be able to take a shortcut through Green Park after crossing in front of Buckingham Palace (don't stay on the road and head towards Hyde Park Corner), which I find a very tranquil, relaxing and pollutant-free place.

If the Queen is in residence, the Royal Standard will be flying; if not, it'll be the more familiar Union Flag. It's not known if she responds personally to waves, but with a bit of advance warning someone with the level of contacts Oxon Flyer possesses might be able to arrange something for you .
Old May 21, 2016, 2:22 am

Originally Posted by Oxon Flyer
I was going to suggest the same

It's not the most direct walk, but definitely nicer.

If it's raining then I'd get a bus rather than the tube. The 38 from Victoria (at the front of the station) will drop you very close to the hotel, and you get to travel on one of the new(ish) routemaster buses, if that floats your boat.
Old May 21, 2016, 2:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by VickiSoCal
Are you arriving by train, tube or coach?
Associated thread http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/u-k-i...et-london.html
IMHO it would be better if all questions were in one comprehesive thread
Two of many:-
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/u-k-i...nd-london.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/u-k-i...nd-london.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/searc...3355515&query=

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.