London Fish & Chips

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

London Fish & Chips

Search this Thread

Old May 16, 2016, 4:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)
Originally Posted by London_traveller
The Golden Hind is a good bet in that case. It's in Marylebone which is north of Soho but an easy walk.

Very good quality fish n chips. It's a BYOB (bring your own booze) place, so if you want to enjoy the food with some wine then just stop at a nearby off-licence on the way.

I can't think of anywhere in Soho I'd recommend for that.
Chips are good from there but I don't eat fish so I can't comment on that.
Old May 16, 2016, 11:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Originally Posted by London_traveller
The Golden Hind is a good bet in that case. It's in Marylebone which is north of Soho but an easy walk.

Very good quality fish n chips. It's a BYOB (bring your own booze) place, so if you want to enjoy the food with some wine then just stop at a nearby off-licence on the way.

I can't think of anywhere in Soho I'd recommend for that.
I am a big fan of Golden Hind, and Mrs. B has insisted that we bring our children when we visit this summer. It helps that the location is walking distance from both my office and my usual hotel.

The only downside are the very long lines at night, particularly when it's cold or wet, though there is a pub across the way
Old May 17, 2016, 4:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Another thumbs up for the Golden Hind. Significantly better than the overrated Seashell.
Old May 18, 2016, 6:45 am

Programs: Mucci de Guardian des Celliers des Grands Crus 1e Classé, plus BAEC.
Originally Posted by TMM1982
I also want to go to Soho one evening. Maybe there is a place there?
Soho isn't really a Fish & Chips sort of place. Lots of great restaurants but definitely at the modern end of the cuisine spectrum. Barrafina is great - have a look at the website/reviews to see if it's your kind of thing (Spanish-style small plates, NOT tapas ) - and should be no problem getting a seat in good time if you're on your own.
Old May 18, 2016, 5:12 pm

Originally Posted by krispy84
Soho isn't really a Fish & Chips sort of place.
There's always J Sheekeys if you can get a table and don't mind splashing out a bit. Pretty sure they have traditional fish and chips on the menu, although the fish pie is what gets all the love.
Old May 21, 2016, 4:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
I go to Seafresh on Wilton Road, which is near Victoria Station. I take either the large haddock with small chips or the plaice with small chips. If there are two of you, one medium chips is probably sufficient to share.

They have both a table-service restaurant and a take-away side.
Old May 21, 2016, 4:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
Is there any consensus on Hook in Camden?

It was recently featured on a Food Network show in the US. Not traditional by any means (use of panko breading, etc), but if sounded interesting.
Old May 21, 2016, 5:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Non-NonRev
Is there any consensus on Hook in Camden?

It was recently featured on a Food Network show in the US. Not traditional by any means (use of panko breading, etc), but if sounded interesting.
It looks excessively hipstery but at the same time some of the cooking is interesting. Will have an explore in the next fortnight.
Old Jun 20, 2016, 10:41 am

Programs: BA Executive Club Blue
Originally Posted by NPF
It has been four years since last time I went to London, but the Masters Super Fish on Waterloo Road (on the block after the Old Vic) was very good. It was a very basic place, most patrons work at or near Waterloo Station, including Taxi drivers / Rail workers (and consequently at walking distance from the London Eye).
Seconded - huge portions and pretty cheap! Takeaway £5, eat in something closer to £8 but that does come with bread and butter and a little saucer of prawns when you sit down.
Old Jun 22, 2016, 5:52 pm

Originally Posted by Sixth Freedom
I go to Seafresh on Wilton Road, which is near Victoria Station. I take either the large haddock with small chips or the plaice with small chips. If there are two of you, one medium chips is probably sufficient to share.

They have both a table-service restaurant and a take-away side.
I can't believe Seafresh is still around. I used to live nearby (and that giant Sainsbury's was my grocery store). That area has changed so much that I hardly recognize it anymore.

I'm also a fan of the Golden Hind, but my current favorite is Kerbisher & Malt, which has several locations around London all of which are pretty far west. They apparently now have a location near Exmouth Market called Kerbisher EC1, which I haven't been to.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.