Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > U.K. and Ireland
Reload this Page >

Heathrow 'to extend overnight curfew to 0530am'

Heathrow 'to extend overnight curfew to 0530am'

Old May 13, 2016, 4:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by oscietra
Willie (and by extension, us through our BA fares increasing) won't pay for any new runway at LHR:

http://www.flyertalk.com/articles/co...-iag-boss.html
The desperation to get a third runway, Walsh revealed, has resulted in an 18 billion ($26 billion) proposal. Only one percent of this, he said, would go toward the runway, with the rest being spent elsewhere at LHR/
Someone buy WW a new calculator.

1% of 18bn is 180m. You are not going to get a new runway for that!
Old May 13, 2016, 5:08 am

Programs: BA, TK, HHonours, Le Club, Best Western Rewards
Originally Posted by oscietra
Willie (and by extension, us through our BA fares increasing) won't pay for any new runway at LHR:

http://www.flyertalk.com/articles/co...-iag-boss.html

It's all very well saying that, but BA (any as you rightly say us) either has to pay or to stop using Heathrow. Neither are good options for BA.
Old May 13, 2016, 5:10 am

Originally Posted by Swanhunter
Gatwick is in the wrong place - much like the pipe dream London estuary plans. Heathrow is better located for much of London, the South East and the rest of the country not to mention the industry clusters that chose to be close to it.
Agreed, plus I find Gatwick North to be a painful experience. Yesterday the immigration queues were simply massive in the middle of the day. Arrive at LHR Terminal 2 and I'm through the queue picking up my bag in about 10 minutes, max.
Old May 13, 2016, 5:13 am

Programs: BA, TK, HHonours, Le Club, Best Western Rewards
Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
Someone buy WW a new calculator.

1% of 18bn is 180m. You are not going to get a new runway for that!
Actually, the runway is around 182,000 sqm.

If the runway is all concrete and 1m deep that would currently cost around 88,270,000 (probably less as they can buy that quantity of concrete cheaper.) Add the cost of excavations, steel reinforcements, taxi ways, lights, etc and yes the actual physical runway itself would be around that mark.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.