Reload this Page >

Pre-paid SIM Card UK

Pre-paid SIM Card UK

Old May 9, 2016, 1:42 pm
Original Poster

Programs: WS Platinum, former AC E35K
Pre-paid SIM Card UK

hi,

I will be in the UK for a week and renting a car to travel around the South. I was planning to use my iPhone 5 as a GPS, so I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions for a pay as you go data plan? A few minutes and texts are nice, but certainly not required. Hoping there is something that I can buy in Canada.

Also, does anyone have any idea how much data the GPS function uses? I won't be going more than a couple of hours from London.

thanks
Old May 9, 2016, 4:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EY Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by shore9
hi,

I will be in the UK for a week and renting a car to travel around the South. I was planning to use my iPhone 5 as a GPS, so I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions for a pay as you go data plan? A few minutes and texts are nice, but certainly not required. Hoping there is something that I can buy in Canada.

Also, does anyone have any idea how much data the GPS function uses? I won't be going more than a couple of hours from London.

thanks
Pick up a Lyca or a Lebara sim card. They are usually around 99p and both offer various data plans. Just see which one suits you.

I would say you need around 100mb but both operators offer a 500mb plan for 7.50 so you will have to go for this one.
Old May 9, 2016, 4:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Oh and you will get 150 mins with that. Both of these operators are cheap to call abroad from too.
Old May 9, 2016, 4:36 pm

Here's some recent discussion:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/u-k-i...imcard-uk.html

which then refers you to this lengthy (but recently updated) one:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...and-wales.html
Old May 11, 2016, 9:41 am

in google maps for iPhone you can download the maps ahead of time - should save some data.

E.g., search for London. Zoom out to how far you need. tap the London bar at the bottom. tap download on the right. Then there's a menu setting for "offline areas"
Old May 11, 2016, 11:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cfo314
in google maps for iPhone you can download the maps ahead of time - should save some data.

E.g., search for London. Zoom out to how far you need. tap the London bar at the bottom. tap download on the right. Then there's a menu setting for "offline areas"
There is no London bar at the bottom when I follow your instructions. Can you advise? This would be very handy.
Old May 12, 2016, 8:14 am

Originally Posted by onlysuites
There is no London bar at the bottom when I follow your instructions. Can you advise? This would be very handy.
maybe "Bar" is not the right word for it, but for me it's a white band across the bottom of the screen. When I search London and select it, google maps shows the map of London in the center and at the bottom is a white band that says London, UK on the left and "Route" on the right side. Tap the white bar/band at the bottom and then another page should swipe up with a brief description, weather, etc. The "Download" is on the right side after "save" and "share"

let me know if it works or send me a PM
Old May 12, 2016, 9:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

maybe "Bar" is not the right word for it, but for me it's a white band across the bottom of the screen. When I search London and select it, google maps shows the map of London in the center and at the bottom is a white band that says London, UK on the left and "Route" on the right side. Tap the white bar/band at the bottom and then another page should swipe up with a brief description, weather, etc. The "Download" is on the right side after "save" and "share"

let me know if it works or send me a PM
I was using Maps that comes with iOS and not Google maps. Will download that tonight and try it out. Cheers ^
Old Jul 20, 2016, 8:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm not a tech expert, but I could really use some data while in the UK for a few weeks in August. I have an AT&T compatible phone from the USA. Can I simply remove my USA SIM card and pop a cheap UK SIM card (for short term use) into that -- preferably a SIM card I can pick up easily?

Thanks.
Old Jul 20, 2016, 10:20 am

Originally Posted by iahphx
I'm not a tech expert, but I could really use some data while in the UK for a few weeks in August. I have an AT&T compatible phone from the USA. Can I simply remove my USA SIM card and pop a cheap UK SIM card (for short term use) into that -- preferably a SIM card I can pick up easily?

Thanks.
You need to ask ATT to unlock it for you.
Old Jul 21, 2016, 6:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by onlysuites
I was using Maps that comes with iOS and not Google maps. Will download that tonight and try it out. Cheers ^
Downloading google maps (in advance of our foreign trips) has been a lifesaver. It's truly revolutionary if you drive overseas. No more worrying about whether you'll have a GPS.

You need to ask ATT to unlock it for you.
Aw, that stinks. Is there an easy way to get the phone unlocked?

Alternatively, is it possible to get a "hot spot"? When we were in Portugal last year, the rental car agent offered us a hot spot rental for a few dollars a day. It was great. Everyone in my family was able to get data everywhere we went. I've never seen this technology in the USA. As I said, we're far more interested in data access than we are in making phone calls.
Old Jul 21, 2016, 7:21 am
Suspended

Downloading google maps (in advance of our foreign trips) has been a lifesaver. It's truly revolutionary if you drive overseas. No more worrying about whether you'll have a GPS.

Aw, that stinks. Is there an easy way to get the phone unlocked?

Alternatively, is it possible to get a "hot spot"? When we were in Portugal last year, the rental car agent offered us a hot spot rental for a few dollars a day. It was great. Everyone in my family was able to get data everywhere we went. I've never seen this technology in the USA. As I said, we're far more interested in data access than we are in making phone calls.
You could just go on to the UK Ebay site and pick up a dirt-cheap second hand smartphone.
Old Jul 21, 2016, 7:57 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I bought a Pay as you Go Mobile WiFi hotspot last year when we were back in the UK which included 2gb of data....mine cost around 24. You can connect up to 5 devices on it. All the networks sell them either through their shops or major PC stores and supermarkets. They're great, although be warned the service in the wilds of Scotland can be non existent.
Old Jul 21, 2016, 11:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by HIDDY
I bought a Pay as you Go Mobile WiFi hotspot last year when we were back in the UK which included 2gb of data....mine cost around 24. You can connect up to 5 devices on it. All the networks sell them either through their shops or major PC stores and supermarkets. They're great, although be warned the service in the wilds of Scotland can be non existent.
That sounds like exactly what we need. Thanks. So 24 includes 2gb? Is there any way to get a bit more data for about that price? And is there an easy way to figure out who has the best in-store deal? I guess I'll google "Pay as you Go Mobile hotspot UK" and see what comes up.
Old Jul 21, 2016, 11:41 am

Never tried the hotspot. But unlocking your phone is easy, with ATT and my iPhone you can request online and they send you instructions via email.

Just for price comparison I pay Vodafone UK 30 for 6 GB data. I don't have to share the data though which isn't allowed with my plan. Unlimited talk/text.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.