Pre-paid SIM Card UK

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Pre-paid SIM Card UK

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21, 2016, 12:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Like everything tech related when you travel, this seems complicated. Mobile hotspots seem to be called mi-fi (mobile wi-fi). Here's a primer:

http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/buying-ad...guide-3637018/

I haven't yet found somebody who's done the extensive research and can point me to what I want to buy -- and how to buy it -- if I'm just a traveller to the UK and want, say, 5gb of data.

EDIT: This seems to be about what I need. At Ł50 for 6gb, it's not cheap, though. I'm wondering if I could do better.

http://shop.ee.co.uk/dongles/pay-as-...tsrc=Affiliate

Last edited by iahphx; Jul 21, 2016 at 1:00 pm
Old Jul 21, 2016, 6:41 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by iahphx
That sounds like exactly what we need. Thanks. So Ł24 includes 2gb? Is there any way to get a bit more data for about that price? And is there an easy way to figure out who has the best in-store deal? I guess I'll google "Pay as you Go Mobile hotspot UK" and see what comes up.
Yes the deal included the 2gb. IIRC I bought mine in PC World but shop around.
I'm not really a techy person so 2gb of data means very little to me. I just know it was way more than enough for my usage over the near three weeks I used it. I'd be surprised if you needed more as most accommodation has free wifi anyway...both our cottage rentals had good wifi.
It might be a good idea to find out which network has the best coverage especially in Scotland. Mine was on Vodafone other networks might have better.
Old Jul 22, 2016, 12:44 am

Where are you headed for? Major towns and cities have 3G/4G coverage, which is great for data. Rural areas have 2G (which is fine for calls and text but won't support services such as mapping apps that need a live feed). And in some mountain areas (such as parts of the Lake District or Scotland) you'll have no signal at all.
Old Jul 22, 2016, 9:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rcspeirs
Where are you headed for? Major towns and cities have 3G/4G coverage, which is great for data. Rural areas have 2G (which is fine for calls and text but won't support services such as mapping apps that need a live feed). And in some mountain areas (such as parts of the Lake District or Scotland) you'll have no signal at all.
Hmmm, maybe my family won't need as much data as I think. Since we are going be spending 4 or 5 days in the Highlands, and a couple days in rural Wales, and most of the time not in cities, maybe I don't need as much data as I think.

It does seem like I need a company with as much geographic 3G/4G as possible. And then I need a pay-as-you-go mobile wifi device that works on that company's system at a decent price. This doesn't seem like the easiest question to have answered.
Old Jul 22, 2016, 11:13 am

Programs: UA MileagePlus
Hmmm, maybe my family won't need as much data as I think. Since we are going be spending 4 or 5 days in the Highlands, and a couple days in rural Wales, and most of the time not in cities, maybe I don't need as much data as I think.

It does seem like I need a company with as much geographic 3G/4G as possible. And then I need a pay-as-you-go mobile wifi device that works on that company's system at a decent price. This doesn't seem like the easiest question to have answered.
Why do you want to get a mobile hotspot rather than unlocking your AT&T phone?
Old Aug 22, 2016, 6:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Well, after doing a bit more research, I wandered into a Three telecom store in London to buy a SIM card with data, voice and text for my AT&T phone. They promised me it would work -- I just had to wait a few hours for activation. But it didn't work, and they couldn't figure out why. At least they refunded me my money. I made do with wifi and downloadable google maps.
Old Aug 23, 2016, 8:53 am
glg

Well, after doing a bit more research, I wandered into a Three telecom store in London to buy a SIM card with data, voice and text for my AT&T phone. They promised me it would work -- I just had to wait a few hours for activation. But it didn't work, and they couldn't figure out why. At least they refunded me my money. I made do with wifi and downloadable google maps.
Your phone was probably locked. Nothing Three or any other carrier can do about that, you needed to take care of that with AT&T before you left.
Old Aug 23, 2016, 5:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by glg
Your phone was probably locked. Nothing Three or any other carrier can do about that, you needed to take care of that with AT&T before you left.
Nope. I had it unlocked and gave them the code. That wasn't the problem. After they put in the SIM, I was supposed to get a text message confirmation in a few hours. When it didn't work and I returned to the store, they muttered something about the "frequency" of the phone. I don't know, but it didn't work. As I didn't have time to do further research, I just gave up.
Old Aug 23, 2016, 7:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

.... When it didn't work and I returned to the store, they muttered something about the "frequency" of the phone. I don't know, but it didn't work...
What phone do you have?
A phone can have many variations depending on the market it is sold in. A brand X type Z phone can be different if sold in anther country.
http://willmyphonework.net/
Old Aug 31, 2016, 10:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

We were trying to use a Samsung Galaxy Grand Prime. Under that chart, I think it should have worked. Annoying. I'm sure one day, probably not too far into the future, using your phone overseas will be less hassle.
Old Sep 1, 2016, 9:20 pm
glg

We were trying to use a Samsung Galaxy Grand Prime. Under that chart, I think it should have worked. Annoying.
Looks like you have 2100MHz for 3G and band 3 for LTE, which would cover Three.

I'm sure one day, probably not too far into the future, using your phone overseas will be less hassle.
Carrier locking seems to be on the way out, but the spectrum differences aren't going anywhere soon.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.