Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > U.K. and Ireland
Reload this Page >

AA terminal at LHR (T3): how far in advance can one enter?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA terminal at LHR (T3): how far in advance can one enter?

Search this Thread

Old May 11, 2016, 3:45 am

Programs: Mucci de Guardian des Celliers des Grands Crus 1e Classé, plus BAEC.
Originally Posted by NWIFlyer
LHR is not a 24 hour operation airport. You may be able to stay landside, but equally - given no abnormal operations and a situation where hotels are available - you might expect the airport police to encourage you to leave the terminal. In addition, there really is no-where to sleep in the landside areas - probably deliberately - and no eating or drinking facilities through the night.
I have never been encouraged, or seen any other bona fide traveller encouraged, to leave any LHR terminal overnight, I'd be very very surprised if this was the case.

Costa Coffee is open 24/7 in T3 departures before security

Overnighting in an LHR terminal landside may not be that comfortable but it is perfectly do-able.
Old May 11, 2016, 6:03 am
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by David-A
They are not going to put people into a cell, nor even (in most cases) an interview room.
The real other option, is to move passengers by inter terminal bus, to a single locaiton, say .... T3 airside. And hold them there, then move them out again in the morning.

Just because the airport is not 24/7 for flights, does not mean it is not 24/7.
Loads of things are happening in the middle of the night, shops are being stocked, advertising changed, maintenance work undertaken.
Staff security (processing people into and out of airside locations) will still be in operation. Sure they don't want passengers airside, as it complicates it as a workspace for some types of activity, increases the amount of oversight required, but it would be wrong to think that the terminals are completely dead airside - but they will be VERY quiet.
It is not impossible for a group to be babysat in an emergency.
To be clear, the holding area option was for a very specific circumstance - that of someone routinely arriving at the airport on schedule and needing to go landside to their hotel having booked a connecting flight for the next day, but not having the required entitlement to do so. UK Border Force might well decide, particularly given the current hysteria over immigration, that they need to know where everyone is and I doubt they'd be terribly keen on sticking people from four other terminals on a bus and putting them landside in a single other terminal overnight given it was the traveller's fault their documentation was not in order in the first place - but they would still need to house them somewhere secure.

Where there are Irrops, clearly it would be morally wrong to hold someone in less than ideal conditions and in those circumstances alternative arrangements would likely be made - quite probably, given the low risk with an onward flight confirmed and no intention to enter if everything had run to plan, a temporary entry so a hotel could be arranged. If there was mass disruption, then it might be necessary to supervise an extraordinary airside stay until the following morning, but that is not the circumstance the OP detailed.

Nearly everything in LHR, the 24/7 Costa in T3 aside which I wasn't aware of, is set up to encourage people not to stay in the terminal - just as an example, there aren't many seats landside compared to airside for a start. It just isn't at all a comfortable place to be for more than a handful of hours - I recall, having arrived at 4am for a 7am flight from T4 a awful lot of years ago having driven through the night, just how painful an experience that was and not one I'd want to repeat in a hurry! So yes, it's do-able but it's not something I'd ever recommend for the sake of shelling out a relatively small amount of money for a hotel, and there's still a risk you'll be moved on because you're in the way of something operational (even as mundane as floor cleaning).
Old May 11, 2016, 4:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA (Plt Pro; 1.5 MM)
Interesting discussion and I have learnt many things. Just a few observations:

1. I believe it to be a misunderstanding that people who do not want to book a hotel are necessarily being cheap.

Last flights land at LHR around 11 PM, could easily be midnight before you exit immigration.

First flights leave around 6AM, lounges open at 5AM, so you might want to get there by 4AM.

It is not crazy for someone to want to stay at the airport for 4 hours instead of running to/from a hotel in the middle of the night for what might be a 3 hr sleep at best.

2. Just for my curiosity, I'll "research" this during my transit, just what options would officially be available if I wanted to stay airside for those 4 hours, and report back here.

3. Nevertheless, I'll book a hotel myself. Yotel is clocking at GBP 71. Outside ones are cheaper, but by the time you add transportation expenses and time, I am not sure they make much sense.

4. I don't understand Yotel's pricing. I have tried 3 hrs, 4 hrs, 5 hrs, 6 hrs etc, it is always GBP 71. Not sure what kind of "hourly" chart is this.
Old May 11, 2016, 6:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
Originally Posted by aktchi
4. I don't understand Yotel's pricing. I have tried 3 hrs, 4 hrs, 5 hrs, 6 hrs etc, it is always GBP 71. Not sure what kind of "hourly" chart is this.
I think that the basic price is about £9 per hour - daytime has a 4 hour minimum, while night has an 8 hour minimum. I'm not sure at what time the different minimums kick in.
Old May 12, 2016, 9:32 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
What time is your AA flight from T3? Unless you like to be very early, there really is not much point in getting to the terminal more than 90 minutes before departure. It is quite quiet at that time of the morning, and security should be swift. Given the choice between an extra 30 minutes of sleep and 30 minutes in the AA lounge, I'd always pick the former!
Old May 13, 2016, 2:15 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA (Plt Pro; 1.5 MM)
Originally Posted by LondonElite
What time is your AA flight from T3? Unless you like to be very early, there really is not much point in getting to the terminal more than 90 minutes before departure...Given the choice between an extra 30 minutes of sleep and 30 minutes in the AA lounge, I'd always pick the former!
My incoming flight will reach T4 around 11pm. Disembark from the back of the economy class, long walk, immigration, etc, I expected to be out by midnight.

My departure is from T3 around 7AM. I like to leave enough time for peace of mind and to recover from at least one hiccup (bus cancelled, taxi got flat tire, I board the wrong train/bus, etc), so would have aimed to get to BA lounge at 5AM when it opens (I too am no fan of the AA lounge, preferring CX and BA instead).

Had there been HKG or SIN style sleep worthy couches at T3 or T4, I would probably have chosen that option. Lacking that, as Non-NonRev said, it seems to be "an ideal situation for the Yotel."
Old May 13, 2016, 4:46 pm

Originally Posted by Swanhunter
Pretty sure that for some/most nationalities possession of a US Green card entitles you to TWOV (Transit without visa).
That is my understanding too (I did read up on it some time ago) - and this includes landside transit in certain sets of circumstances such as

- staying at a hotel overnight
- getting from one airport to another (e.g. LHR to LGW)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.