Wiki Posts
Search

Sleepers and Britrail pass

Search this Thread

Old May 3, 2016, 12:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DM, AA, UA,HH,Priority, Amtrak, Starwwod, BA, Marriott
Sleepers and Britrail pass

Greetings: I've searched this forum and emailed Britrail and the Man in Seat 61 and still can't seem to get an answer to my question -- to wit: if one uses a Britrail pass and then upgrades to a sleeper on either the Caledonian or the Night Riviera, how many days that count as (ie: one or two) for one's Britrail pass? If anyone has a definitive answer, I'd really appreciate it. Thanks in advance.
Old May 3, 2016, 12:33 pm

BritRail Passes are valid from 00:00 hrs to 24:00 hrs (Midnight to Midnight) on a chosen day of travel. If a pass holder is traveling on an overnight train containing sleeper accommodation, the next day’s date must be inserted.

http://www.britrail.net/terms-and-conditions
Old May 3, 2016, 1:07 pm
Original Poster

still confused

Originally Posted by alanR
BritRail Passes are valid from 00:00 hrs to 24:00 hrs (Midnight to Midnight) on a chosen day of travel. If a pass holder is traveling on an overnight train containing sleeper accommodation, the next day’s date must be inserted.

http://www.britrail.net/terms-and-conditions
Alan, thanks for your response, but as a senior citizen that obviously continues to be be-fuddled, I'm still confused. So, and pardon again my lack of understanding, if the sleeper leaves at 22:00 on Tuesday and arrives at 7:00 on Wednesday, does that count as one day or two days used? Does the conductor mark the pass on Tuesday and then have to insert the date for Wednesday in other words using two days of the Britrail pass? Thanks for your patience with this oldtimer.
Old May 3, 2016, 2:35 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
It's not just oldtimers that are confused. The Britrail wording is ambiguous, and I read it as telling you to only insert the one (next) day's date.

Otherwise the wording would/should be "...the next day's date should also be inserted".
Old May 3, 2016, 3:17 pm
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
I read it as saying that a train that runs past midnight (which could just be a local train after all - am too familiar with the 23:22 to Peterborough...) only uses up the second calendar day it runs on.

(Otherwise you could end up with the unseemly sight of hordes of Britrail passholders waiting on a forlorn Watford Junction station platform at midnight for the Caley Sleeper to pull in...)
Old May 3, 2016, 4:19 pm
Original Poster

Thank you

Thank you all: I need to thank Mark Smith ( Mr. Seat 61) who sent me a very nice note. He wrote ( and my apologies for quoting him here) ": Logically, pass days are midnight to midnight so your pass needs to be valid on both days. Therefore a sleeper trip would use 2 days of a flexi pass." Because of Britrail's ambiguity as so ably pointed out by previous posts, I'm going with the two day conclusion which means I'll need to get an eight day continuous pass to be on the safe side ( I intend to take both the Caledonian and the Night Riviera sleepers next January -- yes, I do like to plan my trips well ahead of time). Thanks again to all those who replied.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.