Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UK government-led tipping discussion !

Search this Thread

Old May 14, 2016, 7:17 am
glg

Originally Posted by NickB
If that is so, does the current level of tipping in the US (circa 15-20%) result in waitstaff being significantly overpaid compared to other hospitality industry workers? 20% of the business turnover just for waitstaff?
No, because most of the US has a significantly lower minimum wage for tipped employees.

US minimum wage is $7.25/hour, though many states and cities have a higher minimum. Minimum wage for tipped employees is $2.13/hour. Again, many states and cities have a higher minimum.

In some cases, the locality doesn't allow for a lower minimum, so in those cases, you may have waitstaff being paid higher overall wages.
Old May 14, 2016, 9:25 am

I disagree with the sentiment that tipping or a service charge is needed in order to incentivise good service. I was in Japan on holiday recently and nobody tips for anything. It's just not done. However, the standard of service we received, in all manner of different bars/restaurants/etc, was consistently high.

I've travelled to the US a fair bit in recent years and although the level of tipping is irritating to me, it is nonetheless part of the culture. If employees are reliant on those tips to get to any kind of basic salary, I don't see it as my job to cast my opinion on the tipping system via no tip to my server; the only person that suffers is the server, while the system doesn't change.

I support this review the government is doing. Far too opaque here in the UK right now.
Old May 14, 2016, 2:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by glg
...Minimum wage for tipped employees is $2.13/hour. Again, many states and cities have a higher minimum...
That's a sobering statistic: and if it describes a situation in anyway widespread in the US, then I am embarrassed. I tip grudgingly and only under pressure from companions do I approach the recommended levels.
Old May 14, 2016, 6:21 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Slightly circular, however. Who decides what a 'tipped employee' is?
Old May 15, 2016, 3:22 pm
glg

Originally Posted by LondonElite
Slightly circular, however. Who decides what a 'tipped employee' is?
Sorry to keep up with this tangent on US practices!

It's defined by the US government as:
"A tipped employee means any employee engaged in an occupation in which he or she customarily and regularly receives more than $30 a month in tips."

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.