Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > U.K. and Ireland
Reload this Page >

LAX-LHR-DUB where do I clear immigration?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 27, 2016, 3:35 pm
Original Poster

Hi everybody. I can't seem to find the answer to this. I am a US citizen who will be traveling LAX-LHR-DUB. Where do I clear immigration? LHR? DUB? Both? I'm sure this has been asked before so apologizes in advance. Thanks
Old Apr 27, 2016, 4:33 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
You will pass immigration at LHR. There is a passport check and a photo is taken of you before you pass through security check and into the departures area.

When you board the DUB flight, the photo is compared to ensure the same person who passed immigration then leaves on your boarding pass (and not someone else from the departures hall).

Mind you, you may well also pass immigration again in DUB, if your flight arrives at the gates that go to an immigration checkpoint (mixed with other passengers who did not arrive from the UK). However if you arrive at gates that don't mix with non-UK passengers, you won't have an immigration check at DUB. Look up "Common Travel Area" for the background.

Last edited by flatlander; Apr 27, 2016 at 4:37 pm Reason: Clarify CTA.
Old Apr 27, 2016, 5:55 pm
Original Poster

Thank you very much.
Old Apr 28, 2016, 12:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Mike_Ro_Brew
Hi everybody. I can't seem to find the answer to this. I am a US citizen who will be traveling LAX-LHR-DUB. Where do I clear immigration? LHR? DUB? Both? I'm sure this has been asked before so apologizes in advance. Thanks
Welcome to FlyerTalk.

The answer is both
Old May 1, 2016, 9:17 am

Programs: AA EXP.
Just curios if I'm transiting through will I get a stamp at uk and dublin?
Old May 4, 2016, 6:02 am

Programs: IHG Spire, National Exec, AA Plat
You might. I have in the past.

If you are on BA, you will clear again in DUB. Can't speak to other airlines as I have not done the trip outside of BA.
Old May 5, 2016, 9:03 am

Location: Los Angeles and Eastern Sierra (weekly travel to SJC). "Home airports": LAX/BUR/BIH/SJC
Programs: SWA A-List Preferred, TSA Pre
Originally Posted by Mike_Ro_Brew
If your luggage is checked through to DUB and you are traveling on one ticket, you can clear Immigration at LHR through the Flight Connections Centre in whichever terminal the DUB flight departs from. This line is usually shorter than the standard Arrivals immigration line. You will then clear security again in the departure terminal.

At DUB, it will be like clearing at LAX. Wait in line, and possibly customs. One thing that you'll notice is that the UK does things very differently than we do. They don't make a big fuss about customs, and immigration is cleared in the departure terminal (during a connection) rather than immediately after landing. The first time I did it, I thought I had made a wrong turn with all the long hallways, and I thought I would be labeled a criminal. It's an interesting way to do it. I love Heathrow's complicatedness... but I was amazed at how quick I was off the plane, through immigration, and out the door after arriving back at LAX.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.