Wiki Posts
Search

Renewing a second UK passport from abroad

Search this Thread

Old Apr 26, 2016, 9:52 am
Original Poster

Programs: Sometimes BA, sometimes AA
Renewing a second UK passport from abroad

There are lots of threads on here about second UK passports but most are somewhat old and most are about getting one rather than renewing one so I thought I’d ask if there are recent experiences.

I live in the US (Boston area) and currently have two UK passports, the second obtained while still a UK resident and when I was travelling a lot on business. One of them now only has 2 pages left and they are not facing pages, so it’s no longer any good for China visas. Changes at work mean that I will need to start travelling to China more frequently again, and the New York Chinese consulate will only give me a 6 month, 2 entry visa each time. I’ll almost certainly be burning through visas faster than I can apply for them with a single passport.

Because overseas passport renewals now have to come to the UK anyway, what are my options? If I send the full passport back for renewal, including a colour copy of the other passport (so I can keep and use that in the meantime) and a company letter requesting I be renewed but keep the other passport active, should that work? Is the 4 week processing time on the gov.uk website real? I don’t have any trips to the UK planned and I’d prefer not to make a special trip.

On a side note, has anyone done this before with China visas? Do they notice and care if a person alternates passports for each visa application?
Old Apr 26, 2016, 10:05 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Assuming you only have UK nationality, then you don't need to return the other passport. I know the wording is confusing, and a lot of people do send in their second UK passport by mistake, but sending in the "other passport" - or the copy - relates purely to those with more than UK nationality. Read it again carefully and you should see what I mean. Therefore all you need to do is fill in the form, mention your expiring passport as the "current passport", mention the second passport with the number and expiry date in the "list other passports". Send in the expiring passport, keep hold of to the good one (don't bother with a copy, HMPO can see it on their system). In the company letter ensure both passports and numbers get mentioned, try, ideally to get the signatory to be a UK citizen though it's not formally a requirement, they do need an impressive job title but in BOS that should be easy enough given the janitor is presumably VP Property Services.

If you are on renewal number 3 (i.e. aged at least 35 years), Durham is currently churning out renewals in about 4 working days (!!!!!). In fact the courier company DX Secure is sometimes taking longer to deliver than HMPO to print up the new one, but that's another issue. Therefore if you have a 10 day slot in the UK you can just do it from there, bearing in mind you will have the other passport to hand. It also makes it easier to approve if you can provide a UK base.

I would try to keep all the China visas in one passport, China does not allow its citizens 2 passports so it could lead to problems. No problem filling up one passport and then going over to the other, but you should avoiding flipping back and forth.
Old Apr 26, 2016, 10:57 am
Original Poster

Programs: Sometimes BA, sometimes AA
Thanks for the quick reply. LOL at VP Property Services
Old Apr 26, 2016, 1:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I would echo the point about keeping visas in one passport - the same goes for any country requiring visas, or any that are paranoid (hello USA).

Have never included details of my other UK passport on the company letter and have renewed several second passports, however I do mention the number on the application form.
Old Apr 26, 2016, 3:33 pm

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
If you are on renewal number 3 (i.e. aged at least 35 years), Durham is currently churning out renewals in about 4 working days (!!!!!).
This is OT, but why should it even take 4 working days? In Spain they do print them on the spot, only the other week I had some free time one morning and decided to renew mine a little early (it was showing signs of wear). I was in an out of the police station in 15-20 min.
Old Apr 27, 2016, 3:32 am

Programs: BA Gold
You can get a HMPO appointment at short notice and have your passport renewed within 4 hours. This service costs £128 and is availble at London (Victoria), Liverpool, Belfast, Durham, Glasgow, Newport and Peterborough.

https://www.gov.uk/get-a-passport-urgently
Old Apr 27, 2016, 5:02 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
Yes, indeed, I got my new passport that way, up at the Peterborough office. It's an efficient if rather officious process.
Old Apr 27, 2016, 8:15 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by stut
Yes, indeed, I got my new passport that way, up at the Peterborough office. It's an efficient if rather officious process.
Yes my wife renewed hers using the fast track service last year during our stay in Glasgow - bit pricey but certainly worth paying extra for. Mine expires next year so a good excuse for a trip back or I shall have to do it by post. Shame I can't get it done in Buenos Aires.
Old Apr 28, 2016, 6:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Durham is currently churning out renewals in about 4 working days (!!!!!). In fact the courier company DX Secure is sometimes taking longer to deliver than HMPO to print up the new one, but that's another issue
I renewed my 48 page passport online, just used the regular service (not premium or one-week): sent in the old passport the next day by first class registered post; and the new landed on my doorstep two days later (!) My documents and the old passport were returned separately to me a few days after the new passport.

This was from the Peterborough office.

[Slightly marred by the fact that there was an omission in it, but they did fix it and they have sent out a new one again, received today within four days of receiving my complaint ...]

Anyway, I would say, any passport you send them will be invalidated (by chopping off the corners), so don't send in both.
Old Apr 28, 2016, 8:19 am

You got good service there Calchas.

Just saw that my passport expires next May which is a few months earlier than I thought. I take it even if I arrive back in the UK on the day of expiry I'll be okay to fly...the airline won't bother will they?
Old Apr 28, 2016, 8:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by HIDDY
You got good service there Calchas.

Just saw that my passport expires next May which is a few months earlier than I thought. I take it even if I arrive back in the UK on the day of expiry I'll be okay to fly...the airline won't bother will they?
Expired British Passports are officially accepted for entry to the UK (if they say "British Citizen" on the nationality line).

The airline can confirm that this is okay on the TIMATIC service:

Code:
Information as of  28APR16 / 1426 UTC
National United Kingdom (GB)    /Residence Argentina (AR)
Embarkation Argentina (AR)
Destination United Kingdom (GB)
United Kingdom (GB)

Passport required.
- Passengers with a British passport with nationality of
British Citizen  shown on the bio-data page are allowed to
enter with an expired passport.
[...]
So one that is still valid should not pose any problems (or at least, none that are not quickly resolved).
Old Apr 28, 2016, 8:32 am

Good to know Calchas, many thanks.
Old Jan 11, 2017, 1:25 pm
tht

Programs: UA 1K 1.01 MM
Has anyone else done this recently?

I am traveling to India frequently now (new job) and can only use the eTV (online visa 2 x per calendar year).

I had a second British passport for work. The first of the 2 expired in April 2014. I did not renew it as I had a different job with no travel.

From reading the above I just send in the expired British passport ONLY with a letter from my employer explaining why I need a second one again, but not my current British one. But also state that I don't want my current one canceled.

I also have another (non British) EU passport, so from reading the above I would need to include a copy of every page of this with the application.
Old Jan 11, 2017, 3:51 pm
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Location: UK - the nearest airport is named after a motorway !
Last month

I renewed my second passport (still with validity, but full) by post just before Christmas. Didn't send in my other passport, but did mention it on the form and requested that it remain valid. Included letter from me explaining and also letter from company (as per requesting second passport initially).

Sent special delivery on Monday 19th, got text from passport office confirming receipt on Tuesday 20th, got cancelled old passport and new passport back Wednesday 21st ^

Sorry, can't help with the protocol re your second nationality passport, but renewing the second UK one - straightforward.
Old Jan 12, 2017, 10:50 am
tht

Programs: UA 1K 1.01 MM
Originally Posted by Stewie Mac
I renewed my second passport (still with validity, but full) by post just before Christmas. Didn't send in my other passport, but did mention it on the form and requested that it remain valid. Included letter from me explaining and also letter from company (as per requesting second passport initially).

Sent special delivery on Monday 19th, got text from passport office confirming receipt on Tuesday 20th, got cancelled old passport and new passport back Wednesday 21st ^

Sorry, can't help with the protocol re your second nationality passport, but renewing the second UK one - straightforward.
Thank you!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.