Transfer after late mla flight

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17, 2016, 10:29 am
Original Poster

Programs: Starbucks Gold
Transfer after late mla flight

Mods..feel free to move this

Hey everyone

Flying back to blighty on the late Malta BA flight. Gets back in at 11pm on Fri 6th May. Can anyone recommend a decent private transfer company to get me to London. Cheers
Old Apr 17, 2016, 10:38 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
There are a few companies named in the LHR-LGW transport guide in the Dashboard. These have been road-tested, if you will, by other FTers. Now admittedly the context is travelling to LHR rather than London, but I'd imagine most if not all of them would provide a service into town. That's in addition to the taxi rank at LGW.

I'm sure you are aware of this, but for the benefit of anyone else searching, the train service from Gatwick to London runs through the night, with 2-3 trains an hour even in the early hours.
Old Apr 17, 2016, 10:47 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
There are a few companies named in the LHR-LGW transport guide in the Dashboard. These have been road-tested, if you will, by other FTers. Now admittedly the context is travelling to LHR rather than London, but I'd imagine most if not all of them would provide a service into town. That's in addition to the taxi rank at LGW.

I'm sure you are aware of this, but for the benefit of anyone else searching, the train service from Gatwick to London runs through the night, with 2-3 trains an hour even in the early hours.
Old Apr 17, 2016, 10:56 am
Original Poster

Great idea..

Thing is we arrive at 11pm if the flights on time. Even if we hussle and get on the 11.30pm train..by the time we get to London..the tube has closed and i need to get to tower bridge...looking at costs of 3 o/w adult lgw express tickets and a taxi in london (4.6 miles) total is around Ł55-Ł60. If I can get a private car for even slightly less..hassle value is less than mucking around with trains and taxis...
Old Apr 17, 2016, 11:14 am
Formerly known as linzbh

Programs: BAEC GGL, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium
just get the Thameslink to Blackfriars and then an Uber, there are plenty around on Friday nights. I work near Blackfriars and always get one within a few minutes late on a Friday night. I will give you a uber referral code which will give you Ł10 so the trip across to tower bridge will likely be free or only Ł2.
Old Apr 17, 2016, 11:43 am

Programs: Iron Maiden FC, GE, Rapidly falling down the Tiers to oblivion.
Last circle line from victoria terminates at the tower hill stop i think, leaves at 00:34. Should make that if on time but yeah can see it is tight! Good luck! I work next to tower bridge now so this is good for me too! I see they are working on the nighttube so watch for that too, although the circle line is coming later for that. If it is running now you could do victoria to oxford circus on the victoria line then change to the central line to bank and it is a ten min walk up the road (useless with cases i suppose!!!).

https://tfl.gov.uk/cdn/static/cms/im...httubemap-.gif

Ps also recommend the citymapper app, brilliant for figuring out getting from a to b at any given time, i use it all the time now in london; even has estimated uber cost and time.

Last edited by jcm9000; Apr 17, 2016 at 1:18 pm
Old Apr 17, 2016, 11:55 am
Original Poster

Good advice..thxs everyone. Might do the Direct Thameslink to Blackfriers...and jump in a cab. Sounds fairly straight forward. I takes these trains are comfortable/safe enough?
Old Apr 17, 2016, 12:12 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by jock
Good advice..thxs everyone. Might do the Direct Thameslink to Blackfriers...and jump in a cab. Sounds fairly straight forward. I takes these trains are comfortable/safe enough?
Yes, they will be safer than being on the roads, that's for sure. In that direction there won't be many other passengers, so plenty of space (etc). The other option is to change at East Croydon - usually on to the same platform - for a service to London Bridge, which may be better for you. Personally I'd have the Network Rail app handy and then you can play it by ear.
Old Apr 19, 2016, 10:25 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
In that direction there won't be many other passengers, so plenty of space (etc).
I flew into LGW last week, landing at 2240. The platform for the Thameslink service to St.Pancras was heaving, and the carriages that stop near the main escalator were packed.

TIP: As long as it's a 8 or 12 car train, keep walking down the platform to the waiting room. It's normally much less busy onboard there. If you get on the last carriage, then you'll be closest the exit for the Southbank (first carriage, North bank) at Blackfriars.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.