Best Contract/PAYG for Roaming

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best Contract/PAYG for Roaming

Search this Thread

Old Mar 31, 2016, 12:09 pm
Original Poster

Thank you all! I shall give three a try.
Old Mar 31, 2016, 2:38 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
Check out GigSKY. If you have an Apple device they are available on the Apple SIM, but you can get the same service on their own SIM too.
They have data rates for almost all countries (a couple of notable omissions) that are either average, or good. They have fixed periods of 3, 7, 15, and 30 days and price points of £10, £18, £25 and £35 respectively. What varies is how much data you get. For example at the 7 day price you get 400MB in Germany, 250MB in Hong Kong, 125MB in China, and 80MB in Serbia.
Truphone's packages may be useful too, though they seem somewhat better for corporates than individuals.
Old Mar 31, 2016, 2:56 pm

Programs: BA, U2+, SK, AF/KL, IHG, Hilton, others gathering dust...
Originally Posted by rxfleming

Three is ok. But they really throttle the free data when your abroad. I was with them for years but found it increasingly unusable when I needed data to work.

Vodafone on the other hand don't. And you can take all your allowances abroad for £3 day or £5 a day to there nonEU destinations (quite a large list of countries. Google 'World Traveller'). I have a 20GB plan with Vodafone so never run out of data abroad.

I never call anyone on their phone anymore either. Tend to use whatsapp / IMO/ Facebook messenger / FaceTime for audio or video calls. So using mins or texts isn't important to me. I need data and need it to work, fast enough to make video and audio calls. Vodafone does that. Three didn't.
I agree. The 3 deal is a great one on paper, and I'm sure it works well for some, but a colleague who has it has nightmares with data speed outside the UK. I'm on Vodafone, and while their customer service is lamentable, I find their network the best for data speed. Very glad they've now added UAE and Mexico to World Traveller, those places were costing me a fortune.
Old Apr 1, 2016, 4:44 am

Originally Posted by FlyingB1975
Thank you all! I shall give three a try.
Don't give up on Vodafone yet. I travel to the US, Europe, and the Middle East and find that Vodafone's World Traveler/Euro Traveler packages are quite reasonable, provided you don't call another mobile phone.
Old Apr 1, 2016, 4:45 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
Originally Posted by Oaxaca
I agree. The 3 deal is a great one on paper, and I'm sure it works well for some, but a colleague who has it has nightmares with data speed outside the UK. I'm on Vodafone, and while their customer service is lamentable, I find their network the best for data speed. Very glad they've now added UAE and Mexico to World Traveller, those places were costing me a fortune.
It seems to depend heavily on the destination. I got 3 as my travel at the time was Scandinavia and France, and so well covered. The data levels in Denmark were outstanding - Skype calls as clear as day. France, however...
Old Apr 1, 2016, 9:44 am
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Location: UK - the nearest airport is named after a motorway !
Originally Posted by Oaxaca
And they've recently added Mozambique and Kenya as well - World Traveller is (imo) brilliant!
Old Apr 1, 2016, 11:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
I use Three extensively as I mostly travel to the USA, Ireland, France and Hong Kong, all Feel at Home destinations. I don't really use much data as mostly I surf when I'm inside on wifi, so the data is more for occasional emails. However, it still is fast enough to make Whats App and other VOIP calls when I need to call a UK number.
Old Apr 4, 2016, 11:31 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by Expatbear

I have much better luck going on the ATT network in the US rather than the T-Mobile one - their data speeds are dire. I'm convinced that the guest/roaming network are indeed the ones that throttle bandwidth for three customers, but that's inevitably due to their SLAs with Three. Of note - they do only provide 3g data roaming, not 4g. Also their coverage outside London (or inside a building anywhere) is pretty poor.
Agree 100%, I am in North Carolina and T-Mobile here is shocking. I've manually selected AT&T and I get great internet.
Old Apr 4, 2016, 12:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Expatbear
Also their coverage outside London (or inside a building anywhere) is pretty poor.
I've found Three's coverage to be pretty good. In London it's excellent, far better than EE where I struggled to get a signal indoors in much of central London. I have annual trips to Cornwall (north coast) and central Dorset where I alone am able to get a signal, with friends on O2, Vodafone and EE are all dark. However, there's a very irritating hole in Three's coverage on the Piccadilly Line around about Osterley....
Old Apr 5, 2016, 5:25 pm

Old Apr 6, 2016, 8:49 am

Three is very good if you are going to a feel at home destination -- only downside is they've increases their PAYG add ons. Previously it was £15 for AYCE data, and now i believe it's £25-30
Old Apr 6, 2016, 10:52 am

Vodafone on the other hand don't. And you can take all your allowances abroad for £3 day or £5 a day to there nonEU destinations (quite a large list of countries. Google 'World Traveller'). I have a 20GB plan with Vodafone so never run out of data abroad.
Is that on some sort of business plan, or have you got Vodafone to apply World Traveller to a consumer plan?
Old Apr 8, 2016, 4:07 am
formerly rxfleming

Programs: BA GGL, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Plat Elite
Originally Posted by flatlander
Is that on some sort of business plan, or have you got Vodafone to apply World Traveller to a consumer plan?
Vodafone were offering a 20GB/unlt calls/unltd texts plan for £20 plan for 1 month between February to March, to entice customers from Three (http://www.coolsmartphone.com/2016/0...b-for-20-deal/)

World Traveller / Euro Traveller can be applied to a consumer or business plan.
Old Apr 8, 2016, 10:29 am
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
Three (I would think in common with other providers) also offer a VOIP over wi-fi call option via an app.

In theory, according to the download blurb, this is only for UK wi-fi locations - but I have queried this with their CS agents in the past and been told it works anywhere in the world. I would tend to believe this because I doubt they're going to bother making a check on IP address and location, which in itself is not necessarily a reliable indicator. The caveat is that I've never used it in a non-Feel at Home location, so I can't give an absolute cast-iron guarantee that it'll work on a FOC basis (or at all).
Old Apr 8, 2016, 2:11 pm

World Traveller / Euro Traveller can be applied to a consumer or business plan.
Thanks for confirming, I re-read the Vodafone website and realised I had misread
If you’re a Pay monthly customer or on certain business plans...
on their website as being "pay monthly on certain business plans". Oops.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.