Suggestions for London theatre needed

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1, 2016, 6:50 am
Original Poster

Programs: AZ,Ba,,UA,DL,AA Gold ,Hyatt Platinum,Amex Plat., Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold

Hi,

I will be in London for 4 days this August and would like to see one or two shows while I'm there. Any suggestions about what to see? I prefer dramas, whodunnits ( I've already seen Mousetrap), and comedies.

Thank you for any help you can provide.
Old Mar 1, 2016, 12:01 pm

The National Theatre is your best bet - do try and see something there. Its productions are almost always excellent (although it's had a couple of duds recently) and it is cheaper, more comfortable and far less touristy than the West End theatres. It also has a nice terrace with river views for your interval drinks if you're in the Olivier.

Travelex Ł15 tickets are the best value if available.

Have a look on the website, see what's on when you're here and take your pick. Just be warned, it's the most middle class place in the whole of England!

Also highly recommend the Open Air Theatre in Regents Park for the summer. Again see what's on when you're here. The only thing is it's best to book just a few days before so you know the weather's going to be good, but if you only have a few days I'd just take a punt and hope for the best. The shows still run as long as there's not a full on tempest. And on that note, also see what Shakesepeare is on at the Globe - again a great venue and very 'London'.

Between those three, you're sorted. There is lots in the West End too of course - Curious Incident (a National Theatre transfer) would be high on my list there.

Last edited by Ldnn1; Mar 1, 2016 at 12:15 pm
Old Mar 1, 2016, 3:35 pm

For something a bit different you could see what's on at the theatre at The Vaults, which is underneath Waterloo station - it's a great space, well actually it's several spaces, as the theatre is just a part of it.

Off the beaten track, the Theatre Royal Stratford East sometimes has interesting stuff on.
Old Mar 2, 2016, 2:29 am

Programs: BA Blue, VS Red
"The Play that Goes Wrong" combines a murder mystery and a comedy.
Old Mar 2, 2016, 2:00 pm

I find www.lovetheatre.com to be the best place to buy good tickets, and a convenient one stop shop for a (mostly) comprehensive view of what's on.

They also award avios.

I'd personally recommend "The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night Time" or "Bad Jews". If you like Musicals, Book of Mormon or Kinky Boots would be my picks.

I'd second the www.NationalTheatre.org.uk assessment above; hopefully this summer the offering will be back to its more reliable usual form.
Old Mar 6, 2016, 10:33 am
Original Poster

Programs: AZ,Ba,,UA,DL,AA Gold ,Hyatt Platinum,Amex Plat., Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold
Thank you for all your suggestions!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.