Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > U.K. and Ireland
Reload this Page >

Heathrow Express trains taken out of service [Express still running, Connect canx'd]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Heathrow Express trains taken out of service [Express still running, Connect canx'd]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 29, 2016, 4:50 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

'Crack' in train forces Heathrow Express to replace stock

All Heathrow Express rolling stock has been taken out of service after engineers found a structural fault on one of its trains. Trains from the Heathrow Connect fleet have been deployed on the route, while the slower Connect service has been suspended.

"When we are aware of what we are dealing with, we will be able to make a decision on when a full service will resume."

Heathrow Express has cut its single fare from London Paddington to Heathrow from £22 to £17 to help compensate travellers who would otherwise have taken the cheaper Connect service, which costs £10.20....
http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-london-35686461
Old Mar 2, 2016, 3:53 am

Programs: BAEC GGL, HHonors Diamond, IHG Uninspired, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, UK AMEX Plat
According to this rail article, engineers found a “structural defect” on the underside of a number of the trains during the emergency inspection. As such, the trains will be out of service “for the foreseeable future”
Old Mar 2, 2016, 4:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, BA Silver, Accor Silver
There doesn't appear to be any detail about whether the trains are running to T4 or T5. Any ideas?
Old Mar 2, 2016, 4:20 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Heathrow Express and Heathrow Connect service update- 1 March 2016

1 Mar 2016
Heathrow Express is currently being served by class 360 units which are usually seen on the Heathrow Connect route.

Following investigation, a fault – a structural defect on the underside of the carriage – was found on some Heathrow Express trains. They have now been taken out of service for the foreseeable future, and will undergo further examination and maintenance work.

Passengers can still reach the airport using the Heathrow Express as a 15-minute service is being maintained using alternative trains.

Pre-bought Heathrow Connect tickets will be accepted on the Heathrow Express, and 140 bus between Heathrow and Hayes & Harlington. They will also be accepted on the London Underground between Paddington and Heathrow.

Heathrow Express tickets, which will be reduced during this period, will be required to travel on the non-stopping service as usual. A single ticket will cost £17, and a return will cost £28.
https://www.heathrowexpress.com/news...e-1-march-2016
Old Mar 2, 2016, 4:23 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
T5, with the T4 shuttle running as normal:

http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/sear...alls&order=wtt
http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/sear...alls&order=wtt
Old Mar 2, 2016, 5:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, BA Silver, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by stut
Thanks - and what a cool site. Very useful with the platform numbers!
Old Mar 2, 2016, 6:07 am

Originally Posted by Swiss Tony
Thanks - and what a cool site. Very useful with the platform numbers!
Yes, it's incredibly useful. Not least when things go wrong - it often has more information than railway staff have access to!

An example, recently, is when multiple trains into London were cancelled due to a broken down freight train blocking the depot. The few trains that ran all-stops were rammed. However, realtimetrains told me that an express train was going to make an additional stop at my station... Which it did. Unannounced! Great for me, though...

I realise this say more about my local railway than the website - but that's perhaps why it's so useful...
Old Mar 2, 2016, 3:55 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

I'm feeling a bit slow. If I want to use the realtimetrains links to find out about service between T2 and Paddington, what do I enter?

Also, I bought HEX ticket already which I will need to print when I arrive T2 in a few weeks. Is still even good? Will the machines allow me to print them if the trains are all on Heathrow Connect?
Old Mar 2, 2016, 4:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The tickets will still be valid, just as HEX tickets were always valid on the Connect.

Real time trains is amazing if you are regular rail traveller in the UK but if just using the HEX (or replacement) their app is just as good. If you really want to use real time trains then the actual station names (Heathrow Central and Paddington) should work.
Old Mar 2, 2016, 5:35 pm

Railnews: "Heathrow Express fleet withdrawn indefinitely"

[...] the situation may well last for some time.
Old Mar 3, 2016, 2:01 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
Originally Posted by Analise
I'm feeling a bit slow. If I want to use the realtimetrains links to find out about service between T2 and Paddington, what do I enter?
From London Paddington, to Heathrow Airport T123.

Also, I bought HEX ticket already which I will need to print when I arrive T2 in a few weeks. Is still even good? Will the machines allow me to print them if the trains are all on Heathrow Connect?
Yes and yes. To be clear, the rolling stock itself will be branded Heathrow Connect, however it'll be a Heathrow Express service.
Old Mar 3, 2016, 3:11 am

Originally Posted by Microwave
[...]To be clear, the rolling stock itself will be branded Heathrow Connect, however it'll be a Heathrow Express service.
Given the thread title, this should perhaps be emphasised - the Heathrow Express service is still running, they are just using different rolling stock (i.e. different trains).

I think the people who are really suffering are local commuters on the GWML from stations between Hayes & Harlington (H&H) and Paddington, and Heathrow Connect users between local stations and Heathrow.

The former group because the Connect rolling stock has been borrowed for use on the Heathrow Express service and the replacement shuttle service from H&H to Paddington is only hourly (not half-hourly), and is using shorter trains. The latter group have meanwhile lost the Connect service from H&H into Heathrow, so need to get the aforementioned replacement local train service to H&H then the 140 bus into Heathrow.

So the option of using the Heathrow Connect from/to Paddington as a cheaper option to the Heathrow Express is null and void until this is all resolved.
Old Mar 3, 2016, 3:18 am

Originally Posted by Mizter T
Given the thread title, this should perhaps be emphasised - the Heathrow Express service is still running, they are just using different rolling stock (i.e. different trains).

I think the people who are really suffering are local commuters on the GWML from stations between Hayes & Harlington (H&H) and Paddington, and Heathrow Connect users between local stations and Heathrow.

The former group because the Connect rolling stock has been borrowed for use on the Heathrow Express service and the replacement shuttle service from H&H to Paddington is only hourly (not half-hourly), and is using shorter trains. The latter group have meanwhile lost the Connect service from H&H into Heathrow, so need to get the aforementioned replacement local train service to H&H then the 140 bus into Heathrow.

So the option of using the Heathrow Connect from/to Paddington as a cheaper option to the Heathrow Express is null and void until this is all resolved.
Fair point, I'll update the thread title.

There is a H&H to Paddington shuttle been added in, but it's really the people going from intermediate stations to Heathrow who are worse affected, as you say - many of whom are airport workers.

While this is high profile, hopefully this won't additionally affect the (very similar) trains used on the Aire Valley services in West Yorkshire. The impact there would be terrible.
Old Mar 3, 2016, 3:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
Originally Posted by Analise
As far as I am aware all online HEX tickets are self-print and/or show on your phone. You do not need to (and indeed cannot) print the ticket on arrival. Indeed, you don't even need the printed ticket; the booking reference will suffice and can be given to the ticket inspector on board.
Old Mar 3, 2016, 3:29 pm

Originally Posted by stifle
As far as I am aware all online HEX tickets are self-print and/or show on your phone. You do not need to (and indeed cannot) print the ticket on arrival. Indeed, you don't even need the printed ticket; the booking reference will suffice and can be given to the ticket inspector on board.
Depends if it's a ticket booked through HEX, or a ticket for the HEX booked through other sources (I commonly do the latter, to get the gold card discount, although I note you can now get this on the HEX website...)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.