Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > U.K. and Ireland
Reload this Page >

Can I exchange Scottish Banknotes for English in London? Should I?

Can I exchange Scottish Banknotes for English in London? Should I?

Old Apr 10, 2016, 3:40 am

Originally Posted by Scots_Al
You won't get one from an ATM. You may get one in change, particularly if someone would rather just get rid of it, but that's still relatively unlikely.
I have received some Scottish notes from an English ATM on one occasion but I can only presume they were loaded in error.

I spent a Clydesdale 10 note in a supermarket in Portsmouth where the cashier needed to check with the manager and after being told it was perfectly fine to take later handed it to the person behind in their change and was told then not to. He looked doubly bemused.
Old Apr 10, 2016, 3:41 am

Originally Posted by diburning
Do Scottish notes circulate in London? More specifically, is it common to get one back in change or at an ATM/cashpoint?
Very (very) unlikely to get one back in change. In most tills a Scottish note would be put aside rather than with all the other notes, so wouldn't end up being given out for change.
Old Apr 10, 2016, 4:28 am

Originally Posted by jedikiah
I spent a Clydesdale 10 note in a supermarket in Portsmouth where the cashier needed to check with the manager and after being told it was perfectly fine to take later handed it to the person behind in their change and was told then not to. He looked doubly bemused.
Although English and Scottish notes are accepted throughout the UK I believe the banks in both countries generally return them to the issuing bank.

Wasn't that the loot the Great Train Robbers were after?
Old Apr 10, 2016, 7:30 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Mizter T
Very (very) unlikely to get one back in change. In most tills a Scottish note would be put aside rather than with all the other notes, so wouldn't end up being given out for change.
Indeed, it's unlikely to be change.

That said, most of the times when I've gotten Scottish notes, it's been given to me as change in London. But I've gotten Scottish notes back in this way very, very infrequently -- something on the order of less than 1/50.
Old Apr 10, 2016, 8:52 am

Originally Posted by GUWonder
Indeed, it's unlikely to be change.

That said, most of the times when I've gotten Scottish notes, it's been given to me as change in London. But I've gotten Scottish notes back in this way very, very infrequently -- something on the order of less than 1/50.
I've lived in London my whole life (well, with a few gaps here and there) and I don't recall EVER having received a Scottish banknote in change. So I'd say the likelihood isnt anywhere close to 1 in 50, more like in the thousands (if that). Basically negligible.
Old Apr 10, 2016, 9:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by diburning
Do Scottish notes circulate in London? More specifically, is it common to get one back in change or at an ATM/cashpoint?
In a total of several months in London and the Thames Valley over the years, I'm quite sure I've never gotten one. I've brought a few back from Scotland, though.
Old Apr 10, 2016, 10:07 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Ldnn1
I've lived in London my whole life (well, with a few gaps here and there) and I don't recall EVER having received a Scottish banknote in change. So I'd say the likelihood isnt anywhere close to 1 in 50, more like in the thousands (if that). Basically negligible.
Well it's definitely not 1/1000s in my experience. It's somethings on the order of less than 1/50 but greater than 0. I would say it's well under one percent, maybe even approaching 1/1000, but definitely more frequently than 1/2000+. That's for me.

It could well be that your cash use pattern is different than mine in London. Actually it must be very different, given the time frames involved and the outcomes.
Old Apr 10, 2016, 10:41 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by GUWonder
Well it's definitely not 1/1000s in my experience. It's somethings on the order of less than 1/50 but greater than 0. I would say it's well under one percent, maybe even approaching 1/1000, but definitely more frequently than 1/2000+. That's for me.
My nomination for the most confusing post of 2016 and we're only in April.
Old Apr 10, 2016, 1:57 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by HIDDY
My nomination for the most confusing post of 2016 and we're only in April.

While in the greater London area, I get Scottish bank notes given to me as change (from my cash transactions):

1. less than one out of every fifty times; and

2. less than one out of every hundred times; and

3. closer to one out of a thousand times; but

4. less than one out of two thousand times.

You do know that 2% is greater than 1%; that 1% is greater than 0.1%; and 0.1% is greater than 0.05%?

I do realize that you passed math class a long time ago.
Old Apr 11, 2016, 9:58 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
In 20 years in London, I've never been given Scots money as change, ever.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.