Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > U.K. and Ireland
Reload this Page >

Can I exchange Scottish Banknotes for English in London? Should I?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Can I exchange Scottish Banknotes for English in London? Should I?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 29, 2016, 10:16 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by HIDDY
I've never not had them accepted in England and London especially has never been a problem.
Once during an end to end cycling trip I stopped off in a back of beyond place in Somerset and went into the village shop where the owners hummed and hawed a bit before accepting the Scottish tenner. They'd probably never met a Scotsman never mind Scottish money.
The former is why they've never seen the latter.
Old Feb 29, 2016, 10:35 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
To be fair, you could have worn a kilt and a Jimmy wig & tam to give them some kind of heads up.
Old Feb 29, 2016, 11:16 am

Programs: BA Bronze,Accor.Flightdiary.net/liamvad
Originally Posted by HIDDY
No need to change them you can spend them in London.
I go to Edinburgh often,but when I come back I NEVER bring any scottish notes,as no-one will take them,I have had to go to the bank and bank them,no taxi drivers will take them when I have come back,silly really,but try to hand them back to the Scots!!! Crazy,as they are legal tender,bit can't get rid of them in England.
Old Feb 29, 2016, 11:21 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by stut
To be fair, you could have worn a kilt and a Jimmy wig & tam to give them some kind of heads up.
Wearing a kilt on a bike is not recommended especially when you're a true Scotsman.
Old Mar 1, 2016, 7:43 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, TK Elite, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by liamvad
I go to Edinburgh often,but when I come back I NEVER bring any scottish notes,as no-one will take them,I have had to go to the bank and bank them,no taxi drivers will take them when I have come back,silly really,but try to hand them back to the Scots!!! Crazy,as they are legal tender,bit can't get rid of them in England.
My experience has been similar. Cab drivers refuse to accept Scottish notes, and some stores were reluctant to accept them as well.

Scottish notes are not legal tender in England and Wales; nor are they legal tender even in Scotland.
Old Mar 1, 2016, 11:10 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
I've never had a problem spending Scottish banknotes in London.

Originally Posted by Andriyko
Scottish notes are not legal tender in England and Wales; nor are they legal tender even in Scotland.
No banknotes are legal tender in Scotland, so I suppose that makes sense. Though to be honest the term doesn't have any real effect since banknotes are widely used and accepted in Scotland (obviously).
Old Mar 1, 2016, 11:20 am

Programs: MUCCI
Originally Posted by Microwave

No banknotes are legal tender in Scotland, so I suppose that makes sense. Though to be honest the term doesn't have any real effect since banknotes are widely used and accepted in Scotland (obviously).
Just to be clear, the it does have exactly the meaning it is meant to have.

Something not being legal tender is not in any way mean to discourage or its use.
Old Mar 1, 2016, 12:18 pm
Original Poster

Bear in mind that if you have a contactless credit/debit card, then you don't need an Oyster card - just touch it on the barriers and go.
Thanks. Two of us travelling, but only one of us has contactless, so we need to load up our old Oyster cards to get out of Heathrow.

So, before I started this thread, I tried to do some internet research and found a fair amount about the status of Scottish notes in England, but couldn't find the answer to the question (which many of you graciously helped with above) whether hotels or banks would change them. What was interesting was that every discussion I saw on message boards ultimately concluded with an extended lesson on what "legal tender" is or isn't. Kind of funny that this went to the same discussion.

Last edited by lkar; Mar 1, 2016 at 2:04 pm
Old Mar 1, 2016, 5:28 pm

Programs: BA Silver, IHG Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, Avis Preferred Plus, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by lkar
Thanks. Two of us travelling, but only one of us has contactless, so we need to load up our old Oyster cards to get out of Heathrow.

So, before I started this thread, I tried to do some internet research and found a fair amount about the status of Scottish notes in England, but couldn't find the answer to the question (which many of you graciously helped with above) whether hotels or banks would change them. What was interesting was that every discussion I saw on message boards ultimately concluded with an extended lesson on what "legal tender" is or isn't. Kind of funny that this went to the same discussion.
That is how every discussion on Scottish banknotes ends. It's an immutable law of the internet.
Old Mar 2, 2016, 12:34 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
I just want to be clear that I didn't bring up the legal tender argument I merely wanted to point out that it's actually an irrelevancy since Scottish notes not being legal tender "doesn't have any real effect since banknotes are widely used and accepted in Scotland".
Old Mar 2, 2016, 4:27 am

Originally Posted by Microwave

Since we're discussing using Scottish banknotes in England I did not want to say anything about there being no legal tender in Scotland as it adds nothing to the discussion. Of course, Scottish and English notes are freely accepted in Scotland (not the issue here), but Scottish ones are not required to be accepted in England, and people do often have a problem trying to pay with them in England. This has nothing to do with what is or isn't legal tender in Scotland.
I always advise people to exchange Scottish notes into English ones to avoid unnecessary disappointment.

Last edited by Andriyko; Mar 2, 2016 at 4:32 am
Old Mar 2, 2016, 4:44 am

I'm noticing a pattern on here that Scots don't seem to have a problem spending Scottish money in England, whereas non-Scots do. I wonder if this is down to a matter of trust (Scottish accent, so spending the Clydesdales makes sense) or the occasionally aggressive-sounding tone of certain accents...
Old Mar 2, 2016, 4:54 am

I'm noticing a pattern on here that Scots don't seem to have a problem spending Scottish money in England, whereas non-Scots do. I wonder if this is down to a matter of trust (Scottish accent, so spending the Clydesdales makes sense) or the occasionally aggressive-sounding tone of certain accents...
I think it simply comes down to the fact that people are reluctant to accept money they are not familiar with, may not know what they look like and can't verify if the notes are genuine. This is understandable and perfectly fine.
Most foreigners are not even aware of the fact that Scottish banks are allowed to print their own notes so I doubt they're to be expected with a pile of forged Scottish notes in England.

Last edited by Andriyko; Mar 2, 2016 at 8:16 am
Old Mar 2, 2016, 6:34 am

Originally Posted by mad_rich
That is how every discussion on Scottish banknotes ends. It's an immutable law of the internet.
^
Old Mar 2, 2016, 6:48 am

Perhaps we could name it after the disgraced former chief of the Royal Bank and call it "Goodwin's Law"...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.