Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Stonehenge on an Afternoon LHR Layover?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13, 2016, 2:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, BA Silver, Accor Silver
The 111 bus runs from Heathrow Central straight to Hampton Court. It's not quick - takes an hour - but runs every 10 minutes and is a bargain at £1.50.

You could then take a boat to Kingston (assuming you're not travelling in the next six weeks). The last sailing is 5.30pm, takes half an hour. Alternatively it's walkable. Have some dinner in Kingston then jump on the fast bus back to Heathrow. Unfortunately it only goes to Heathrow Central so you'll then have to get the train or tube onwards to T5.

Obviously you could book cabs or Uber etc. That would be in the region of £20-£40 each way.
Old Feb 13, 2016, 3:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Or head to Marlow, Bray or Henly. All lovely places, lots to do and see, beautiful walks and excellent restaurants if you want to splurge. And, much closer to Heathrow.
Old Feb 14, 2016, 3:39 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
Maybe it's just me but wanting to visit Stonehenge on an LHR layover is like wanting to go to San Diego on a layover at LAX.

Originally Posted by Swiss Tony
The 111 bus runs from Heathrow Central straight to Hampton Court. It's not quick - takes an hour - but runs every 10 minutes and is a bargain at £1.50.
To take a London bus, US travellers will need a contactless debit/credit card or have to buy an Oyster at the tube station at T3 (10-20 mins of lining up). Oysters are only refundable at machines 48 hours after purchase so the bus trip would cost them £10 each, if they don't have a payment card usable on the bus.
Old Feb 14, 2016, 5:51 am

Originally Posted by :D!
Maybe it's just me but wanting to visit Stonehenge on an LHR layover is like wanting to go to San Diego on a layover at LAX.
More than that, because when you've got to San Diego there's a whole city to look at, but when you get to Stonehenge there's a circle of stones. And it may well be raining. Avebury might be a better option, there's a circle of similar age, but much larger diameter, indeed there's a village in the middle.
Old Feb 14, 2016, 5:52 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by lhrsfo
Or head to Marlow, Bray or Henley. All lovely places, lots to do and see, beautiful walks and excellent restaurants if you want to splurge. And, much closer to Heathrow.
Quite agree.

My suggestion...have a late lunch somewhere in Bray. There are plenty of good places to choose from. Then have a stroll along the river to stretch your legs. Or go the other way and look at Hampton Court and walk through Richmond Park.
Old Feb 14, 2016, 9:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
Agree that Stonehenge isn't a good plan, but wondering why nobody has suggested Windsor/Eton yet.
Old Feb 14, 2016, 10:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Efrem
Agree that Stonehenge isn't a good plan, but wondering why nobody has suggested Windsor/Eton yet.
Because the OP has already been... (post no.3)
Old Feb 14, 2016, 10:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by :D!

To take a London bus, US travellers will need a contactless debit/credit card or have to buy an Oyster at the tube station at T3 (10-20 mins of lining up). Oysters are only refundable at machines 48 hours after purchase so the bus trip would cost them £10 each, if they don't have a payment card usable on the bus.
Good points, but worth adding that Apple Pay also now works on the bus. https://tfl.gov.uk/fares-and-payment...ment/apple-pay
Old Apr 11, 2016, 3:00 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT / 2MM
Update: Actually thinking of revisiting Windsor/Eton. A taxi will be too expensive, so what's the best way to get there by public transit? That is, T3--> Castle --> T5.

According to Google Maps, it looks like we'd have to go T3-->T5 to get the bus...
Old Apr 11, 2016, 3:15 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
Google Maps is correct. The 77 bus goes from T5:

http://www.firstgroup.com/berkshire-...=1&redirect=no

You can get from T3 to T5 quite easily for free - use the Heathrow Express (every 15 minutes, just walk on).
Old Apr 11, 2016, 4:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Swiss Tony
Good points, but worth adding that Apple Pay also now works on the bus. https://tfl.gov.uk/fares-and-payment...ment/apple-pay
OT, I fully accept, but what is the point of Apple Pay? It seems to me that it is just a clumsy iteration of contactless - clumsy because it's slower, introduces an extra intermediary for no benefit, and risks dropping or damaging an iPhone in the process.
Old Apr 11, 2016, 5:09 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by lhrsfo
OT, I fully accept, but what is the point of Apple Pay? It seems to me that it is just a clumsy iteration of contactless - clumsy because it's slower, introduces an extra intermediary for no benefit, and risks dropping or damaging an iPhone in the process.
With Apple Pay your credit/debit card details are not revealed to the merchant; the confirmation is via a secure code from your phone to the contactless reader.

It is a bit clumsy, I accept, and certainly not a good idea for the Tube.
Old Apr 11, 2016, 5:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Whilst it may seem strange some people would rather wave their phone (or watch) about than carry their bank / credit cards with them.

All very well until you either lose the phone/watch or the battery goes!
Old Apr 11, 2016, 9:48 am

Originally Posted by stut
Google Maps is correct. The 77 bus goes from T5:

http://www.firstgroup.com/berkshire-...=1&redirect=no

You can get from T3 to T5 quite easily for free - use the Heathrow Express (every 15 minutes, just walk on).
To get to T5, since you don't have to collect your bags, it will be quicker and easier to get the airside transfer bus rather than going landside and taking the train.

On arrival at T3 follow signs for flight connections T5 and take the bus. When you get there, instead of following everyone else through security into departures, follow signs for arrivals and proceed through the UK border there.
Old Apr 11, 2016, 10:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LondonElite
With Apple Pay your credit/debit card details are not revealed to the merchant; the confirmation is via a secure code from your phone to the contactless reader.
True, but under the PCI/DSS rules (Payment Card Industry Data Security Standards), the merchant will only ever see the last four digits of your card, so I can't see it as more secure.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.